dehydration? in MY teeth? Its more likely than you might think

JAXvillain

Curly_Sue
Oct 13, 2004
Marklar
₥0
I went to the dentist yesterday for a standard cleaning and a bleaching...I was amazed to find out my dentist no longer uses the light treatment because it apparently dehydrates your teeth...I was all :wtf:...they made molds of my teeth for a custom bleaching mouthpiece instead

still perplexed by the idea of dehydrating ones teeth, I just looked it up and sure enough, it was entirely legit...who knew?

http://www.teethwhiteningreviews.com/artman/publish/teeth-dehydration-effects-during-bleaching.php

Tooth dehydration is a common side effect with all teeth bleaching treatments. Once dehydrated, the teeth can look whiter. When rehydration happens (usually a few days), the dehydrated teeth relapse to a darker color. Knowing that teeth dehydrate during bleaching, one may wonder what the actual effects are of quick in-office laser light whitening. Could it be that there is no actual bleaching happening and that it is just dehydrating teeth?

To better understand how a light source can dehydrate teeth its theory must be explained. When undergoing a laser teeth whitening procedure, the light hits the tooth at a very high intensity. The bleach on the surface of the tooth boils off into the air, which is the path of least resistance. Some bleach will infuse into the teeth and allow for some actual bleaching. As the light illuminates the tooth, darker colored parts of the tooth absorb the light rather than reflect it. This absorbed light is converted into heat energy. Areas of the tooth like the pulp chamber and dentin are the darkest so they heat up the most. This causes the tooth to heat up from the inside. As the tooth builds this uncontrollable internal heat, fluids in the pulp and dentin expand. This expansion pushes water out of the tooth through the protein matrix surrounding the enamel rods. Teeth are porous, so for the same reason they will allow bleach penetration, they will allow fluids out of the tooth. This dehydration as well as the overheating of the tooth is what causes the extreme pain that often is reported following light assisted bleaching procedures. This whole phenomenon is what makes using a light to bleach teeth ambiguous. The idea is to move bleach into the teeth for bleaching to occur. With the lights, all the "teeth fluids" could be moving out of the teeth. So bleach may have to go against the flow to get into the teeth. This could make for a very inefficient technique, as the bleach is always fighting against the current. The final result of this may be that the teeth lose water or dehydrate and appear whiter for a temporary time, usually around 72 hours. After that they began to recover and absorb water from the saliva, much like a sponge, and in so doing they turn dark again. The “Rod’s Deep Bleach” method acknowledges this theory as fact and in so doing, the method employs techniques to keep fluids in the teeth. The MetaTray product also does this.

centipedes.jpg

think about it. what teeth-whitening procedure ISN'T bad for your teeth??? most people's teeth aren't supposed to be as white as what people are trying to get them to. some procedures strip your tooth enamel, others dehydrate...it's not normal, people. it's not natural to have such white teeth.
taking the coffee and nicotine stains off is one thing, but changing the color of your bones is another.

That's why meth addicts have no teeth. Smoking meth causes the salivary glands to dry up temporary, which aids in tooth decay. Plus most meth addicts don't go to the dentist either.

The more you know......

Last edited:
You bleach your teeth?! WTF

Also:

I believe that the Romans would gargle their pee in order to bleach their teeth. You could try that.

not regularly, the last time was like 5 years ago...I was due....again, I'm not going for day glo white :p

edit: wtf is with my marklar?? Marklar: 16336.4875

:wtf: I did not go for two years and had to get a root canal/crown. Its important that you go. hmpf.

not really.
it's only important to the dentist's wallet that I go.
I don't smoke and I don't drink staining liquids. I brush and floss regulary. I also use the occasionaly hydrogen peroxide wash or baking soda toothpaste. No mouth problems.

not really.
it's only important to the dentist's wallet that I go.
I don't smoke and I don't drink staining liquids. I brush and floss regulary. I also use the occasionaly hydrogen peroxide wash or baking soda toothpaste. No mouth problems.

that's like saying periodic doctor checkups are not necessary because you feel fine...it's what you don't know that gets you in both cases...that said, I hadn't been to the dentist in years either, had no cavities and only needed a cleaning