Deep holes v.gravity/air pressure

Millions said:
....so if I placed a ball in the exact center of Earth it would float there with no gravity?

This question, of course, disregards the fact that the exact center of the Earth is indeed inhabited by Bishnu who controls the interworkings of the planet with his multiple arms.
Assuming it were the only thing in the universe, yes. However, in reality everything else in the universe would still pull on it so it would move *a little*.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Well the reason air pressure is greater in the Dead Sea has to do with larger amounts of air pressing down on that point than at sea level, which is exactly how water pressure works - example being that at 33ft down the pressure is twice what it is on the surface.
Heh, apparantly the Dead Sea has about 8% greature pressure than sea level, which is only equivalent to diving 2.6 feet down.

ChikkenNoodul said:
As far as I can tell, still looking into it.

They bill the Dead Sea has having theraputic effects from the higher partial pressure of oxygen, when you could easily get a higher ppo2 just by going diving or stealing an O2 cylinder from an emphysema patient.

Does stuff burn faster there?

ChikkenNoodul said:
As far as I can tell, still looking into it.

They bill the Dead Sea has having theraputic effects from the higher partial pressure of oxygen, when you could easily get a higher ppo2 just by going diving or stealing an O2 cylinder from an emphysema patient.
Okay, assuming its just a ratio then, 5 miles would be about 160% more.

fly said:
Assuming it were the only thing in the universe, yes. However, in reality everything else in the universe would still pull on it so it would move *a little*.

Yeah I'd assume it would drift....like if you let go of a ball in space or something.

But say it start to drift or fall away from the center...then what would happen? Would it fall BACK to the center? I mean...no matter which direction it drifts the center is still the focus of the gravitational pull.

...I know dick about physics and or geology.

Millions said:
Yeah I'd assume it would drift....like if you let go of a ball in space or something.

But say it start to drift or fall away from the center...then what would happen? Would it fall BACK to the center? I mean...no matter which direction it drifts the center is still the focus of the gravitational pull.

...I know dick about physics and or geology.
Actually it probably wouldn't so much drift, but it would wobble. That's how we know some other stars have planets around them. As the planet rotates around the star, the star wobbles from the gravitational pull.

Unless the item was really big, then it would suck the earth and the ball into it...