Deep holes v.gravity/air pressure

elpmis said:
not really, not with water, strictly because water weighs a shitload and is uber dense
it's the same principal though... although isn't it the water in the air which gives it weight?

everyone, please ignore what I was telling fly, it's quasi non related to the discussion of weight in the center of the earth, of which, if you are still confused, read my answer back on page two

elpmis said:
So fancy this... if it's the water in the air which gives it weight, when we go 500 miles into the Earth, it stands to reason that it would be very hot... would it be hot enough to evaporate the water that is in the air thus causing a reduction in pressure?

ChikkenNoodul said:
Um, it still changes the forces exerted on the body. Air pressure is still pressure against your skin.

Pressure cooker, hyperbaric chamber, pressure testers anyone?
yeah but dude I wasn't talking about air pressure we were talking about the gravity force you feel aka F = G * M * (your mass) / (radius)2

zengirl said:
So fancy this... if it's the water in the air which gives it weight, when we go 500 miles into the Earth, it stands to reason that it would be very hot... would it be hot enough to evaporate the water that is in the air thus causing a reduction in pressure?
beats me

Coqui said:
So I'll be the heaviest when I'm in outer space?
You will remain the same weight anywhere because your mass is unchanging. You're "weight" is subjective because what you call weight is really a measure of the force that your mass creates on a flat surface. So, no, you will be the same weight in space.

CletusJones said:
You will remain the same weight anywhere because your mass is unchanging. You're "weight" is subjective because what you call weight is really a measure of the force that your mass creates on a flat surface. So, no, you will be the same weight in space.
Sorry sir, but thats wrong. Your mass will always be the same, but weight depends on gravity. So you will weigh next to nothing in space. :heart:

....so if I placed a ball in the exact center of Earth it would float there with no gravity?

This question, of course, disregards the fact that the exact center of the Earth is indeed inhabited by Bishnu who controls the interworkings of the planet with his multiple arms.