Debate Thread: War between China & The United States

I love it when people act like Nukes will never be used. They were not built just to scare people or as a last ditch effort. If that were the case we would not have used them on Japan. It wasnt like "oh I wonder what this will do" bombs away. We knew the amount of damage and thats why we picked certain targets. IMO if something is used once with that much quick resolve you can bet it will be used again. I consider myself lucky that Iraq didnt have a ready to launch nuclear device when we invaded.

I never said I didn't think they would ever be used, I said I didn't think their use in a invasion of the United States, or for that matter between China and the US, would necessarily be likely.

The world has changed quite a bit since World War 2, and while I personally couldn't care less if we turn Iraq, China, Iran, and anyone else who look at us cross into radioactive wastelands that does not mean that a large part of the country doesn't feel differently. It's a lot harder to nuke a city and spin it all in the name of warfare when CNN*any country world is covering the whole thing.

My point here is that in this day and age there is less tactical advantage to using a large-scale nuclear weapon than other conventional means.

Last edited:
I never said I didn't think they would ever be used, I said I didn't think their use in a invasion of the United States would necessarily be likely.

The world has changed quite a bit since World War 2, and while I personally couldn't care less if we turn Iraq, China, Iran, and anyone else who look at us cross into radioactive wastelands that does not mean that a large part of the country doesn't feel differently. It's a lot harder to nuke a city and spin it all in the name of warfare when CNN*any country world is covering the whole thing.

My point here is that in this day and age there is less tactical advantage to using a large-scale nuclear weapon than other conventional means.

I was more or less talking about other people, I just skimmed through the thread. It would be very hard for us to use a nuke now with media of course but other countries are not in such a dilemma.

I wouldn't worry about China. They have nothing to gain by attacking us. Even if they did there wouldn’t be any invasion by them. Granted they have the overall numbers but 80% of that population is still living in rice patties. It would be us dropping a few tactical nukes and calling it a day. I have more fear of the soon-to-be reemergence of a communists Russia. Unlike China they feel like they have something to prove to us and the Western World.

I wouldn't worry about China. They have nothing to gain by attacking us. Even if they did there wouldn’t be any invasion by them. Granted they have the overall numbers but 80% of that population is still living in rice patties. It would be us dropping a few tactical nukes and calling it a day. I have more fear of the soon-to-be reemergence of a communists Russia. Unlike China they feel like they have something to prove to us and the Western World.

omg I thought you left :fly:

I never said I didn't think they would ever be used, I said I didn't think their use in a invasion of the United States, or for that matter between China and the US, would necessarily be likely.

You know your argument is dangerously close to resembling "I wouldn't use a gun to protect my family if I had to. I'd rather talk it over, or maybe arm wrestle."

If that were the case we would not have used them on Japan. It wasnt like "oh I wonder what this will do" bombs away. We knew the amount of damage and thats why we picked certain targets.

We used them as a last resort. It was a difficult decision for the administration. We had just finished a draining war in Europe and were reassigining troops to the Pacific theater. Read up on it.

if something is used once with that much quick resolve you can bet it will be used again..

We were the only ones who possessed that option then. Now there's a theory called Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD). It pretty much guarantees that neither we nor any of the other permanent members of teh UN Security Council will ever need to do such lest we all be spritzed into the firmament.

I consider myself lucky that Iraq didnt have a ready to launch nuclear device when we invaded.

It's doubtful that Iraq would have launched a nuclear attack, if they had teh ability to do so, as that would have greenlighted respones from our nuclear submarines in the gulf. I was a little concerned during the invasion about a chemical weapon attack.

I have more fear of the soon-to-be reemergence of a communists Russia. Unlike China they feel like they have something to prove to us and the Western World.

Agreed - Putin concerns me. Russia's longing to be a player again.

China is the backbone of our economy: slave labor that produces our goods.

The next big conflict about China will be its own revolution

Additionally, they have nukes but very untested and shaky delivery systems.

They have a large unmotivated army with no place to invade.

I wouldn't worry about China.

China is the backbone of our economy: slave labor that produces our goods.

The next big conflict about China will be its own revolution

Additionally, they have nukes but very untested and shaky delivery systems.

They have a large unmotivated army with no place to invade.

I wouldn't worry about China.

This is totally on the money. The speculation is that, when the Chinese are finally able to realize some wealth, either Vietnam or one or more African states will assume the task of producing goods as the Chinese have done thus far.

This is totally on the money. The speculation is that, when the Chinese are finally able to realize some wealth, either Vietnam or one or more African states will assume the task of producing goods as the Chinese have done thus far.

We're gonna run out of countries without human rights someday though. then what?

We're gonna run out of countries without human rights someday though. then what?

We've been keeping South America on the back burner for that very reason. We have shown just enough interest in the past to keep every one else out but soon enough it is going to be the next middle east. Especially with Hugo Chavez leading the pack for the "New South America". It’s our last Earth frontier.