Debate thread: Are people born good or evil

Good and evil are spiritual definitions and are fickle. Malicious behavior isn't 'evil' so much as it is sociopathic. Gratuitous malicious behavior is psychopathic, and as that term expressly implies is due to a mental affliction. You cannot treat psychopaths, but you can use therapy to undo general antisocial behavior.

hunamity as a whole is generaly insane. no other animal is this destructive about it's enviroment as humans.

Ever seen the Marburg virus? It destroys its environment too quickly, which reduces its ability to spread. Eventually, nature will do the same to us, or rather, we'll do it to ourselves.

Very VERY true. Some people are wired differently, their brains just doesn't function normally. Sociopaths do not comprehend things the same way 'normal' people do because they just aren't capable of doing so. Just as some people suffer from psychological illnesses, others have psychological (mental) defects that prevent them from functioning normally. There is plenty of scientific support for all this but I don't have my psychology textbooks with me. ;)
Just because someone is a sociopath doesnt mean they are evil. IIRC they dont percieve things the same way. Same with in your words "mental defect". The inability to feel something doesnt make one, or that one's actions, "evil".

It sounds like I'm defending "evil" but the fact is if your theory or whatever were correct it would be excuse for any behaviour. That is something beyond that one person's control that "causes" them to act a certain way. Obviously not the case. It also only explains behaviour and that is a poor judge of character.

No one has really defined evil yet here anyway.

This is funny, I just went to a Buddhist center last night and the discussion was on this very topic. The teacher said that living creatures are good. And that if you spend enough time with someone you will find at least 5 good qualities in that person (he said some people take longer than others) but the qualities are there because they have to be.

If you spend enough time with someone you start to see things from their point of view and/or empathize with them. It's hardly a great truth of the universe. The fact is one "bad" thing far outweighs any amount of "good" in a person.

If you spend enough time with someone you start to see things from their point of view and/or empathize with them. It's hardly a great truth of the universe. The fact is one "bad" thing far outweighs any amount of "good" in a person.

Its simple, perhaps that makes it a great truth of the universe. I think if we look at others the way in which we wish to be viewed then one "bad" thing won't outweigh the "good."

Its simple, perhaps that makes it a great truth of the universe. I think if we look at others the way in which we wish to be viewed then one "bad" thing won't outweigh the "good."
Meh, I started to type out an answer and gave up. You will always view some people less favourably than you yourself wish to be viewed and it is perfectly ok.

Ever seen the Marburg virus? It destroys its environment too quickly, which reduces its ability to spread. Eventually, nature will do the same to us, or rather, we'll do it to ourselves.

Ebola virus does pretty much the same thing.