Deadly pocketknives!!!!!!

FlamingGlory said:
Not when placed in context:

I don't think you know exactly what 'placed in context' means. I'm not trying to be insulting it's just that 'placing things in context' is the exact opposite of what you did. An example of placing things in context is:

"We have to resist the application of the 1950s switchblade laws to the new technology," says lawyer Daniel Lawson, a knife collector in Pittsburgh who represents the tactical-knife industry. Thirty-seven states now outlaw switchblades, partly because they developed a cult following among teenagers in the 1950s. But, says David Kowalski, a former knife magazine editor and a spokesman for the industry, tactical knifes have remained legal because "the laws across the U.S. are a mishmash because (legislators) really don't know anything about knives."

Daniel Lawson is saying that switchblade laws are bad. They stemmed from the popularity of the knife among the gang members of the 50's. The laws were reactionary, disseminating across the country due to sensationalist representation of the knives to legislators, who were almost wholly ignorant of the style/design/impact of the knife itself.

If anything this article is more 'pro knife' than most I have read. It is informative, detailed and fairly well written. It even goes so far as to point out that while knife related crime statistics are on the rise, there have been no meaningful statistics collected regarding tactical knife crime vs. regular knife crime.

reverendsaintjay said:
I don't think you know exactly what 'placed in context' means. I'm not trying to be insulting it's just that 'placing things in context' is the exact opposite of what you did. An example of placing things in context is:

Daniel Lawson is saying that switchblade laws are bad. They stemmed from the popularity of the knife among the gang members of the 50's. The laws were reactionary, disseminating across the country due to sensationalist representation of the knives to legislators, who were almost wholly ignorant of the style/design/impact of the knife itself.

If anything this article is more 'pro knife' than most I have read. It is informative, detailed and fairly well written. It even goes so far as to point out that while knife related crime statistics are on the rise, there have been no meaningful statistics collected regarding tactical knife crime vs. regular knife crime.

Obviously there is an amount of subjective interpretation here. When I read, I read exactly as how I split it up and I can assure you my comprehension is not affected in most cases. Also I try to start freshly and read as if I knew nothing of the subject. Without going into too much detail it appears to me that he is attempting to paint a picture of corporations pursuing a 'bloody' profit at the expense of legal technicalities.

It doesnt even hint at the possibility of sensationalism in regards to switchblades in the '50s. I assume that is something you (as well as myself) knew previously and applied to this.

To the latter part of your supposition about statistics; the title of the article is "How New, Deadly Pocketknives Became a $1 Billion Business", then he points out 'emerging threats' from the FBI and some statistics. So we have the fact they are 'new' and knife crime is on the 'rise'. The clause about tactical knife statistics is underplayed and buried before the actual numbers involved in the statistics. When you; ok, when I, put something in a clause it is a way to add disclaim but still be able to pull out so that I can shout down anyone who alledges a corruption of the facts.

^.^

OK...so I may be late with this...but I'm watching hell's kitchen and not reading this whole 2 pages of thread ;)

That's not a knife...THAT'S a knife!

JJ Lady said:
OK...so I may be late with this...but I'm watching hell's kitchen and not reading this whole 2 pages of thread ;)

That's not a knife...THAT'S a knife!
crocodiledundee_subwayexit.jpg

:fly:

They can take my Swis Army knife when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers,

or they just chop off my hand with a bigger knife :-/

In March, a monthly FBI bulletin alerted law-enforcement agents nationwide to "the emerging threats" posed by the knives. Though there are no statistics on how many crimes have involved tactical-style knives, the FBI says knife-related crimes have edged up, to 15.5 percent in 2004 from 15 percent in 2000. In that time, violent crime in general dropped 4.1 percent.

Well, there goes New York City...:rolleyes:

No loss there. :heart:

Mike Janes, owner of Second Amendment Sports, a hunting, fishing and camping superstore in Bakersfield, Calif., says that knife sales have been climbing an average of 25 percent a year in the past decade and that 75 percent of the pocketknives he sells are tactical. "Are you tacti-cool? That's what we say down here," Mr. Janes says.
My God, what losers. Anyone who says that must die.

FlamingGlory said:
It's a joke. Demonstration of tacti-cool:

[]http://uselessforums.com/files/120505/usmc03 cc 4 sized.jpg[/IMG]*

*Not airsoft.

You've got some schmutz on the handles there. You should use, maybe, a wet-nap or moist towlette or something to wipe that off before you use it.

itburnswhenipee said:
You've got some schmutz on the handles there. You should use, maybe, a wet-nap or moist towlette or something to wipe that off before you use it.
...Gator camo. It's all the rage++