Dark days ahead for the PS3

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
Engadget "confirms" the Xbox 360 Elite

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/20/...ion-xbox-with-hdmi-and-120gb-drive/2#comments

We've confirmed with trusted sources that the black Xbox 360 is indeed coming (the image above is of the original 360 dev kit, FYI), and will be dubbed the Xbox 360 Elite. Here's what you need to know about it:

The Elite will be limited quantities only; that may be as much or as little as a couple hundred thousand.
The case, controller, and Live headset will all be black. It will have all new packaging.
Elite will cost $479, and will be a 3rd SKU; it will be sold alongside Premium and Core packs.
Eventually Elite hardware (in white plastics) will take the role of the Xbox Premium. That is to say, after the Elite is launched and sold out, future Xbox Premiums will have 120GB / HDMI.
We do not yet know exactly when 120GB / HDMI will become the standard for Premium, but it is loosely estimated to be late summer or fall.
Elite models run cooler than normal 360s, but they are not yet confirmed to have 65nm chips.
Prices may remain the same with the 120GB / HDMI hardware upgrade in the Premium Xbox, but we may still see a price cut on the line when 65nm chips start shipping.
The HD DVD drive will not be internal or bundled -- Microsoft never did or nor does not currently have plans to put an HD DVD drive in the 360.
There are no current plans to integrate WiFi into the Elite or future Premiums (although that can always change).

Now, this could all easily be a lame rumor, or an April Fools joke, but if it turns out to be legit the only option for Sony is to drop the price of the PS3.

Their exclusive titles are one by one becoming no longer exclusive.

The PS3 is too expensive and not impressive enough to warrant the cost.

Their marketing and customer/industry relationships are a joke.

People are becoming more and more aware of the fact that Blu-Ray is just a gimmick at this point in the game.

What do you guys think about this?

Last edited:
Ever wonder what the handheld version (like a gameboy) will be?

A wee wii maybe? :fly:
914_disappointed1.jpg

206_disappointed2.jpg

820_disappointed4.jpg

109_disappointed3.jpg

173_disappointed5.jpg

575_disappointed6.jpg

557_disappointed7.jpg

427_disappointed8.jpg

disappointed9.gif

disappointed10.jpg

Uncle John: Hey Jimmy, what are you playing with there?
Jimmy: oh nothing, it's just my wee wii :D.

:lol: I'm sorry .. my whole office just cracked up over that lol .. I know it's corny and stupid .. but come on. lol I think I've watch South Park one too many times.

I don't really see this having a big impact on the market in general. Any extra sales they pick up are going to be from people who care enough about HDMI/120GB/black to pay another $80, but not enough to wait, and yet aren't the loaded kind of people that just go out and buy whatever for convenience (they would already have one). I could be wrong -- I thought people would calm down about lack of rumble in the PS3 -- but I don't see that section of the market as very big. What would be worse for them is if they sell a lot of consoles to people that already have one.

I think people would have respected Sony more if they just came out and admitted that they couldn't do it because of legal reasons instead of trying to convince people that there was technical reasons why they couldn't. I mean, come on, people have been used to it for over 10 years, a generation of people grew up with rumble capable controllers, they are not going to like losing that.