Thread da cloud! da cloud!

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
so how many of you use the BIG MAGIC CLOUD for your music, pictures, files, YOUR LIFE?

i've held off because well i don't trust it.

so how have your experiences been? any security issues? hacking? is it too early to know? what are your presumptions about what it will do/how it will break?

Ill use it to store some small stuff. Its nice when i dont have to reconfigure applications upon reinstall because all my settings and stuff were stored in the cloud somewhere. But i dont want it to be my sole source of data. What happens when the company goes out of business. I lose all my shit, thats what happens.

iDrive for backing up data offsite (encrypted backups with my own key). Amazon MP3s in their cloud system since I buy most of my music there, but I keep a local copy as well. That's about it. Everything else I have is stored locally though I should back it up to externals and take to my safety deposit box.

I use the Dropbox for random stuff (mainly school related) and am starting to use Google Drive

Been using my Gmail account for storage of pictures and songs and such for as long as I've had it.

I bought the Amazon cloud 500gb package. I have too much stuff to keep it on physical media and I need it when I'm away from my computer. It just all seems so much easier to have it in the cloud.

Also use dropbox, box.com, and a few others.

I bought the Amazon cloud 500gb package. I have too much stuff to keep it on physical media and I need it when I'm away from my computer. It just all seems so much easier to have it in the cloud.

Also use dropbox, box.com, and a few others.
Don't you guys have a server at home? Why do you not host your own cloud?

Offsite > onsite

That's a lot of responsibility because I'm a a-hole about my photos. If they were ever to disappear, I would lose my mind.
Gotcha. I make monthly incremental backups and keep them in my safe deposit box. I work at a bank so accessing the box is as easy as going to work. I can see where this wouldn't be ideal for everyone.

I just cannot bring myself to pay for cloud backup. I'm sure it'll happen eventually but that day isn't today.