Culture, Code, and the 6 Types of "Free"

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
Marklar
₥0
Lawrence Lessig, founder of Creative Commons, recently gave a speech at 23C3 on the history of culture restrictions, current state of restriction of culture through copyright et al, and how to go about fixing the whole mess. Its an hour and fifteen minutes and the audio is out of sync, but it is an amazing lecture. I think the technocrats here will smile and nod and those not of the nerd persuasion might begin to understand some of my own rantings on digital culture and freedom that I've posted here previously. I highly recommend that everyone here watch it (or just listen if the sync problem bothers you) and try and understand what he's saying. The final analogy he makes to the movie Awakenings will be sadly accurate if more people don't wake up soon.

[GVIDEO]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7661663613180520595&q=23c3[/GVIDEO]​

Blah, not what I was expecting.

What were you expecting exactly? About 8 minutes in is where he drops the fluffy stuff and gets to the meat. If you didn't get that far, skip to there and then tell me what you think.

To anyone else that watched/listened, what did you think?