Creepy Scientology vid feat. Tom Cruise

i'm not arguing with you on how you feel or what you feel. i'm simply trying to point out that why does it matter that people blindly follow something when it makes them feel good? so what? why do they have to be stupid and whatever else because they have faith in something? i just don't get why that should be considered a bad thing. or a stupid decision. what if having faith has nothing to do with intelligence? you said it's not good enough for you. and that's fine. but what if it's good enough for someone else? why does it matter to YOU how THEY feel? why does it boggle you that people have blind faith? so what?
do you see my point? it's not arguing what you believe...it's questioning why you hold what others believe against them. you are doing the same thing you are against...criticizing others for how they believe when it isn't along the same lines as how you believe.
Well, some religions see it differently.

Christianity, you're supposed to "Spread the good word"

Catholicism, greatly encourages conversion, especially with weddings and stuff

Judiasm, don't care if you aren't hurting anybody, but the Jews are the "chosen ones"... Religion is passed through the womb of the mother though, so if the momma isn't Jewish, the kids won't be either.

Hinduism, as long as you believe in a god, any god, you're a Hindu so it's all good

Islam, non believers are infadels, not supposed to cohort with them.

Where it's only logical to support diversity in religion, I don't think we'd have so many holy wars and political battles if different religions weren't trying to overtake each other. If you think about it... if you only believe in one God there really can only be one true religion.. to say that everyone believes in the same god in different ways is, in my opinion, actually implying a polytheistic view. If you look into the purpose of religion, then you see how religion needs to perpetuate in order to fulfill this purpose. Perpetuation requires loyalty from the faithful as well as conversion from the rest of them.

It's like Highlander... there can be only one... and all the religious zealots are going to continue to freak out and make excuses to extinguish the others in the name of their god and the perpetuation of their religion.

i'm not arguing with you on how you feel or what you feel. i'm simply trying to point out that why does it matter that people blindly follow something when it makes them feel good? so what? why do they have to be stupid and whatever else because they have faith in something? i just don't get why that should be considered a bad thing. or a stupid decision. what if having faith has nothing to do with intelligence? you said it's not good enough for you. and that's fine. but what if it's good enough for someone else? why does it matter to YOU how THEY feel? why does it boggle you that people have blind faith? so what?
do you see my point? it's not arguing what you believe...it's questioning why you hold what others believe against them. you are doing the same thing you are against...criticizing others for how they believe when it isn't along the same lines as how you believe.

I'm not saying anyone is stupid. :confused:

I do think it's somewhat a bad thing because I believe that as a species we should be striving to gain knowledge, not spread creation myths without proof. Others disagree. That's fine. Not a big deal.

But it still does boggle the mind. I'm sure there are a lot of things about my beliefs that boggle the minds of others.

Well, some religions see it differently.

Christianity, you're supposed to "Spread the good word"

Catholicism, greatly encourages conversion, especially with weddings and stuff

Judiasm, don't care if you aren't hurting anybody, but the Jews are the "chosen ones"... Religion is passed through the womb of the mother though, so if the momma isn't Jewish, the kids won't be either.

Hinduism, as long as you believe in a god, any god, you're a Hindu so it's all good

Islam, non believers are infadels, not supposed to cohort with them.

Where it's only logical to support diversity in religion, I don't think we'd have so many holy wars and political battles if different religions weren't trying to overtake each other. If you think about it... if you only believe in one God there really can only be one true religion.. to say that everyone believes in the same god in different ways is, in my opinion, actually implying a polytheistic view. If you look into the purpose of religion, then you see how religion needs to perpetuate in order to fulfill this purpose. Perpetuation requires loyalty from the faithful as well as conversion from the rest of them.

It's like Highlander... there can be only one... and all the religious zealots are going to continue to freak out and make excuses to extinguish the others in the name of their god and the perpetuation of their religion.

gah. i'm still not getting my point across. :( i think i'll stop here since i'm not even on the same page as everyone else. :hs:

gah. i'm still not getting my point across. :( i think i'll stop here since i'm not even on the same page as everyone else. :hs:

Oh I think know what you're saying :heart: You're saying that there shouldn't be anything wrong with having faith and it's not stupid to exist within one's own boundaries of higher truth, morality and belief system.

:eek: I just went off on a tangent and quoted you to do so because your post reminded me of what I spurted out... I didnt' mean to argue with you or make you feel unheard

:heart:

I disagree with Thorn's point because I don't separate parts of an equation. I have to take the whole thing. I can't look at someone's 'benign' possession of faith and leave it at that. I look at what they have faith in, and why. Otherwise the whole thing is pointless. I don't blame people for wearing shoes, I blame them for wearing $200 shoes and insisting that the price tag is somehow justified.

I disagree with Thorn's point because I don't separate parts of an equation. I have to take the whole thing. I can't look at someone's 'benign' possession of faith and leave it at that. I look at what they have faith in, and why. Otherwise the whole thing is pointless. I don't blame people for wearing shoes, I blame them for wearing $200 shoes and insisting that the price tag is somehow justified.

Oh you just had to bring shoes into it, didn't you?

Sometimes $200 shoes are completely justifiable. I mean, if I buy a pair of $200 shoes and they last me 4 years, isn't that better than buying a single pair of $50 shoes every year over 4 years... what with inflation and all it's actually cheaper. :eek:

Oh you just had to bring shoes into it, didn't you?

Sometimes $200 shoes are completely justifiable. I mean, if I buy a pair of $200 shoes and they last me 4 years, isn't that better than buying a single pair of $50 shoes every year over 4 years... what with inflation and all it's actually cheaper. :eek:

The laws of mandom say that there MUST be a $50 pair of shoes out there that will last 4 years. You just have to find it.

The laws of mandom say that there MUST be a $50 pair of shoes out there that will last 4 years. You just have to find it.

Oh I've never purchased a pair of $200 shoes before. :fly: Closest I've come are a pair of $100 Harley boots which I purchased over 10 years ago and they're still in perfect condition.

I'm pickin up what you're puttin down :heart:

and for the record, I'm not claiming to be an expert on anything and my opinions could be a big pile of crap :lol: but one of the most interesting thing about our species is how sane, intelligent, logical people can have conflicting viewpoints

Oh I think know what you're saying :heart: You're saying that there shouldn't be anything wrong with having faith and it's not stupid to exist within one's own boundaries of higher truth, morality and belief system.

:eek: I just went off on a tangent and quoted you to do so because your post reminded me of what I spurted out... I didnt' mean to argue with you or make you feel unheard

i understand the tangent thing. :fly: i was just frustrated because i thought everyone was misunderstanding what i was intending. it wasn't about arguing...i do that often, too! :D

sarcasmo, you make an interesting point, but i still don't really understand what you mean. my point is not WHAT you believe in or even IF you believe in anything...it's that people should have room to believe whatever they wish without criticism or disrespect, because no one knows ANYTHING for sure.

I'm pickin up what you're puttin down :heart:

and for the record, I'm not claiming to be an expert on anything and my opinions could be a big pile of crap :lol: but one of the most interesting thing about our species is how sane, intelligent, logical people can have conflicting viewpoints[/QUOTE]

this is so true. and it is a great example of how much we DON'T know about the brain. it blows my mind to think of how much we just don't understand about the human animal. and much of it has to do with what we can't touch with any of the five senses.

i understand the tangent thing. :fly: i was just frustrated because i thought everyone was misunderstanding what i was intending. it wasn't about arguing...i do that often, too! :D

sarcasmo, you make an interesting point, but i still don't really understand what you mean. my point is not WHAT you believe in or even IF you believe in anything...it's that people should have room to believe whatever they wish without criticism or disrespect, because no one knows ANYTHING for sure.

So would you respect the Westboro Church?

it's that people should have room to believe whatever they wish without criticism or disrespect, because no one knows ANYTHING for sure.

Yeah they should, it's just that this view completely violates those of most standardized religions. :(

So would you respect the Westboro Church?

personally i do not agree with their message nor do i respect their actions. but i cannot say that they are right or wrong. they have the right to believe what they want. i find the actions wrong, just as i do suicide bombers. and i do not personally see how they think killing people could be what some god wants. but who am i to tell them what they believe is wrong? i can just tell them that by law, what they are doing is wrong.

as i've said before, respect is checked at the door when people use religion to break laws and harm others.

it's that people should have room to believe whatever they wish without criticism or disrespect, because no one knows ANYTHING for sure.

well see there I disagree again

of course there should be criticism. there should ALWAYS be criticism of EVERYTHING. there is no subject, no issue, no idea, no belief, no philosophy that is above criticism. part of allowing people to believe as they wish is allowing others to believe that those people are complete retards. otherwise you're trying to eat your cake and have it, too; those who believe in magical sky men deserve no special consideration from those who believe said people are out of the gourds and vice versa

Last edited:
personally i do not agree with their message nor do i respect their actions. but i cannot say that they are right or wrong. they have the right to believe what they want. i find the actions wrong, just as i do suicide bombers. and i do not personally see how they think killing people could be what some god wants. but who am i to tell them what they believe is wrong? i can just tell them that by law, what they are doing is wrong.

as i've said before, respect is checked at the door when people use religion to break laws and harm others.

Yes I respect that people can believe whatever they want. Ultimately that is irrelevant, however, because I don't focus what they *can* believe, I focus on what they *do* believe. I can assure you that pretty much all religious beliefs are fallacious.

They can't all be true, right? That would be a paradox. And if we recognize that MOST of them are false, then they are very probably ALL false. It's a rational conclusion. Do I know for sure? No. Do I have to know for sure? No.

this is so true. and it is a great example of how much we DON'T know about the brain. it blows my mind to think of how much we just don't understand about the human animal. and much of it has to do with what we can't touch with any of the five senses.
very true

however you don't learn more about the human mind by chanting and rehashing creation myths. the only way to do so is through science. anything less is not learning, merely mental masturbation

Yes I respect that people can believe whatever they want. Ultimately that is irrelevant, however, because I don't focus what they *can* believe, I focus on what they *do* believe. I can assure you that pretty much all religious beliefs are fallacious.

They can't all be true, right?
That would be a paradox. And if we recognize that MOST of them are false, then they are very probably ALL false. It's a rational conclusion. Do I know for sure? No. Do I have to know for sure? No.

how can you assure me? because religions don't make "sense"? because there is lack of evidence that they do?
and why not? i often wonder if we are all correct. i don't see why that can't be a possibility.