Crappy Jobs

BeerAd

Flaccid Member
Aug 15, 2005
Largo, Florida
Marklar
₥0
This was brought up in another thread because I was making fun of FG for being a security guard. It was more intended just to rip on him but since I looked like a dick I figured I would bring it up. What is your feeling on jobs such as being a garbage man? mall security? fast food?

It is my full belief that if you intend on working at McDonalds your whole life you have 0 ambition. It is an honest job that you make money at but should I feel like shit because you work at McDonalds? As I said before in today's day and age it is so easy to go to school or find a job that can get you places. Am I in the wrong for saying that being a garbage man is a shit job? Whats your opinion?

This was brought up in another thread because I was making fun of FG for being a security guard. It was more intended just to rip on him but since I looked like a dick I figured I would bring it up. What is your feeling on jobs such as being a garbage man? mall security? fast food?

It is my full belief that if you intend on working at McDonalds your whole life you have 0 ambition. It is an honest job that you make money at but should I feel like shit because you work at McDonalds? As I said before in today's day and age it is so easy to go to school or find a job that can get you places. Am I in the wrong for saying that being a garbage man is a shit job? Whats your opinion?

From what I understand garbage men make a good amount of money. I think there is a job for everyone. Personally I wouldn't want to haul trash all day but then again there is someone out there who would hate to deal with staffing firms all day. Everyone finds their niche. What I don't like is when you work at McDonald's and then take it out on the customers because your life sucks and you work at McDonald's.

Ps. STFU April and Zac! don't even say anything or I will blow up your house.

Depends on why the person chose the job. If you're working at McDonald's for twenty years there's a good chance that you'll own a franchise or seven. Or perhaps become a regional manager working in an office. I know back in the day UPS required everyone working corporate to have experience as a driver and they would only promote from within.

Same with garbage men. Those jobs can pay very well, many of them in rural areas can own their own trucks and start their own routes. Garbage man is a shit job to you but for the guy feeding his family on the 60 grand a year he gets from working 30 hours a week it's not a bad gig.

It's not "so easy" to go to school. Some people can't afford it, some people aren't smart enough and some people have other obligations like keeping a roof over their heads or food in their kid's mouth.

From what I understand, being a garbage man pays fairly well. Not REAL money, but enough to live on. Not a bad gig for someone with no education & a perpetually stuffed-up nose.

Just because someone works as a garbage man, or at McDonald's doesn't mean that is all they want from life. Some people work jobs because they have to, not because that's what they want to do. Going to school and getting a desk job is not plausible, or possible, for everyone. Some people have obligations, like family, to worry about and can't afford the time to go to school.

Secondly, you should be glad there are people out there willing to make your Big Macs, take away your garbage, and clean shit out of public toilets because this place would be a lot worse off without them. I can respect someone who is working a job because of obligation, and many of those people take much pride in what they do. I would be very insulted by what you have posted if I worked one of these jobs you have named, and I would think you were a pretentious asshole for suggesting what you have posted.

If you ask some McDonald's employees if that job is all they want from life I seriously doubt anyone would say yes, and nobody stays in those jobs long term. That is why they are known as high turnover jobs.

So specifically, yes I think you are wrong to call a trash collector, fast food worker, janitor or any other job a shit job.

Last edited:
Honestly, that is all fine and dandy but in my mind if you are working fast food your whole life it isnt because you love it.

Some people view their job as nothing more than a paycheck. If Bobby the burger flipper is content making just enough to pay his rent and bills and prefers to enjoy his life by surfing every day after work, that's his choice.

People confuse ambition with important jobs and big salaries. Doesn't work that way.

From what I understand, being a garbage man pays fairly well. Not REAL money, but enough to live on. Not a bad gig for someone with no education & a perpetually stuffed-up nose.

Trash collectors in Germany and some other cultures make really nice salaries + benefits. Those cultures reward people for doing jobs that others typically don't want to do.

Just because someone works as a garbage man, or at McDonald's doesn't mean that is all they want from life. Some people work jobs because they have to, not because that's what they want to do. Going to school and getting a desk job is not plausible, or possible, for everyone. Some people have obligations, like family, to worry about and can't afford the time to go to school.
Hell, I can't stand having a desk job. I'd rather be outside in the sun landscaping for 12 hours a day than sitting in this chair for 8. I stay because I have a loyalty to this company, nothing more.

I hate IT with a passion and in future endeavours I'm going to pretend I don't know jack about computers. I even told my recruiters not to put that information in my packet because the only thing worse than fixing a computer is having to fix one with bullets flying over my head.

Depends on why the person chose the job. If you're working at McDonald's for twenty years there's a good chance that you'll own a franchise or seven. Or perhaps become a regional manager working in an office. I know back in the day UPS required everyone working corporate to have experience as a driver and they would only promote from within.

Same with garbage men. Those jobs can pay very well, many of them in rural areas can own their own trucks and start their own routes. Garbage man is a shit job to you but for the guy feeding his family on the 60 grand a year he gets from working 30 hours a week it's not a bad gig.

It's not "so easy" to go to school. Some people can't afford it, some people aren't smart enough and some people have other obligations like keeping a roof over their heads or food in their kid's mouth.

Yeah I see your point completely but to see the other side...

Most people who work at McDonalds are not going to own there own franchise because they are never going to get any smarter flipping burgers.

I understand about Fedex, our company is the same. Everyone here had to be on the phones at one point or another. Sometimes I still do the shit work just so I can relate to our offices better.

If you cannot afford to improve your life why are you having kids to begin with?

Secondly, you should be glad there are people out there willing to make your Big Macs, take away your garbage, and clean shit out of public toilets because this place would be a lot worse off without them. I can respect someone who is working a job because of obligation, and many of those people take much pride in what they do. I would be very insulted by what you have posted if I worked one of these jobs you have named, and I would think you were a pretentious asshole for suggesting what you have posted.

If you ask some McDonald's employees if that job is all they want from life I seriously doubt anyone would say yes, and nobody stays in those jobs long term. That is why they are known as high turnover jobs.

So specifically, yes I think you are wrong to call a trash collector, fast food worker, janitor or any other job a shit job.

So you think that they dont call their own job a shit job yet at the same time you are saying that is not what they want out of life.

Hell, I can't stand having a desk job. I'd rather be outside in the sun landscaping for 12 hours a day than sitting in this chair for 8.

Same here. I sit here at my desk or in meetings most of the day and Id just rather be outside working, or at least in the shop building something.

I stay because I have a loyalty to this company, nothing more.

I stay for the paycheck.

Yeah I see your point completely but to see the other side...

Most people who work at McDonalds are not going to own there own franchise because they are never going to get any smarter flipping burgers.

I understand about Fedex, our company is the same. Everyone here had to be on the phones at one point or another. Sometimes I still do the shit work just so I can relate to our offices better.

If you cannot afford to improve your life why are you having kids to begin with?
Most people who work at McDonald's are also not going to spend more than a couple years there. Those that do spend decades at the company are more than likely going to advance to at the very least run their own store if not own one. And again, some people are fine making barely above minimum wage because they'll go out and enjoy their personal lives without the stress of turning in reports and attending meetings.

As for the kids, it's easy for you to say that when you've never made a mistake. Kids make stupid choices and in this culture where we tell 14 year olds it's ok to start having sex whenever they want it's no surprise that a bunch of 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 year olds are having kids before they're financially and emotionally capable of doing it.

But no, liberals keep telling us "oh they're going to have sex no matter what we do so why even bother trying to stop them?" :rolleyes:

You shouldn't bash honest jobs, regardless of what they are.
This is truth.

In todays day and age you can truly be whatever you want with hard work. Almost anyone can get student loans which pay for not just your schooling but also some/most of your living. IMO in todays world if you become a garbage man it is because you do not want to go any higher. Even if you became a lunch lady at a hospital they pay for most of you college now adays. It is not hard to get a decent job so dont jump on me for bashing crap jobs. <3 that is all
Not everyone should go to college. It's completely replaced trades etc. A consequence of this is of course that a college education means less and less because they dumb it down for the slowest player. I have written 400 series English essays (for money of course) with absolutely no other background than notes which get A grades. It's stupid to think that because you go to college it means you have ambition, it just means youre doing what everyone else is doing. What's even better is that if you're a total fuckup the state will back your education. If only I was a compulsive shoplifter like my neighbor, who has her way paid because she's on propbation...

As for 'crap jobs', obviously unskilled stuff is always going to be unskilled but most of the people I worked with there were students or related to faculty. You're probably also the type to bash 'trade' jobs. Say something like a mason, or plasterer, it might not be glamorous but it takes skill and some amount of brains.

I know tons of people who work nothing retail jobs. There isnt much industry around here, the entire population under 25 who hasnt left keeps this shit running. Not saying everyone is worth something obviously, but more than I'd have expected are a lot like me. Over the winter, in the mall, the girl who worked the counter AT A SALON, never been to college, could hold a conversation about classic poetry that most of the people on this forum would have a hard time keeping up with, except maybe Dharma...

Either way:
a) going to college doesnt mean you are better than anyone
b) not everyplace is 'the new south', most of the northeast is still a depressed economy with literally no jobs

My father when we moved to this country was forced to work cleaning up other peoples shit in an average 30k house neighborhood. He will be the first person to say that was a shit job and was always the first person to talk bad about his coworkers. Most of them had that job because they did not care to improve and never would.

So you think that they dont call their own job a shit job yet at the same time you are saying that is not what they want out of life.

no, i'm saying that just because someone is in a job doesn't mean that is all they are looking to do. FlyNavy might have stated it better. Some people work the job for money to pay bills and support their family but they could totally have passions that are beside that. Art, outdoorsman activities, sports, whatever. If someone is working at the MacDo that isn't all that they are about. I think you are unfairly summarizing and generalizing people.

Last edited:
no, i'm saying that just because someone is in a job doesn't mean that is all they are looking to do. FlyNavy might have state it better. Some people work the job for money to pay bills and support their family but they could totally have passions that are beside that. Art, outdoorsman activities, sports, whatever. If someone is working at the MacDo that isn't all that they are about. I think you are unfairly summarizing and generalizing people.

One is not their job. -_-