[Contest] Crafting with Cletus

If you can, get an old machine that's made of metal. I don't trust plastic ones, friend has one and sewing through a few layers of denim, the machine flexes enough that the needle strikes the plate. Garbage.

There's not much to refurbish on a sewing machine - perhaps change a belt and oil everything. And there's no shortage of used machines available, lots of baby boomers are moving to old folks homes right now and selling off their machines.

I need a good working sewing machine. I was going to refurbish an older one but just don't have time anymore for it. I should just sell it and be done with it.
Most sewing shops have a mechanic that comes weekly. Most of those guys are pretty good, home machines get fucked up way more than industrial.

If you can, get an old machine that's made of metal. I don't trust plastic ones, friend has one and sewing through a few layers of denim, the machine flexes enough that the needle strikes the plate. Garbage.

There's not much to refurbish on a sewing machine - perhaps change a belt and oil everything. And there's no shortage of used machines available, lots of baby boomers are moving to old folks homes right now and selling off their machines.

This. You can get a good working industrial zig-zag machine (used for clothes making) for $200-300 on craigslist. There are always tons for sale, and you can usually sell for what you paid if it's not broken.

I think this machine is from the 1920s? Not sure I'd have to look it up again. It was retrofitted with an electric motor but that doesn't work so well. I am sure someone would love it, I just haven't taken time to get it fixed up in like the 2-3 years I've owned it.

I think this machine is from the 1920s? Not sure I'd have to look it up again. It was retrofitted with an electric motor but that doesn't work so well. I am sure someone would love it, I just haven't taken time to get it fixed up in like the 2-3 years I've owned it.

Unless it's in immaculate shape or rare it's probably a $50 value tops. Old sewing machines don't really have a market

Unless it's in immaculate shape or rare it's probably a $50 value tops. Old sewing machines don't really have a market

Eh no big deal to me if it is worth anything or not. A friend who found it for me said that model worked wonderfully and that I should refurb it a little to get it to work. Suggested a hand crank.

Though my friend also collects old sewing machines and the amount some pay for them is kind of crazy. She likes old machines as they sew better in her opinion.

Eh no big deal to me if it is worth anything or not. A friend who found it for me said that model worked wonderfully and that I should refurb it a little to get it to work. Suggested a hand crank.

Though my friend also collects old sewing machines and the amount some pay for them is kind of crazy. She likes old machines as they sew better in her opinion.

Yes, if they're restored they go for bank.

It depends on the machine. There were a few different bobbin designs over the years and some are more reliable than others.

IMO anything not made in China is worthwhile. Mine was German made back in the 60's, Japanese machines are also very good. I hear horrors about brand new $3000+ machines from China failing nonstop and the manufacturer does nothing to rectify.

Plz PM me your address. Sweet write-up. Maybe it will inspire @APRIL to do something with her Etsy store. Hopefully something that puts @Dharma1521's store out of business.
Thanks! It was hard to remember to stop for pics. That's my biggest barrier to posting these.

Is @APRIL inspirable?

What are these guys making? I didn't know so many dudes sewed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. Thanks for taking the time.

Any chance you can explain to folks how to conceal the zipper so it looks less 'raw'?

You use a zipper foot so you can stitch closer to the zip. Industrially, quite often you'd have an attachment that folds the fabric immediately before the foot so you get an even line over the zip.