Cowboy Saturday

itburnswhenipee said:
I was shocked to discover that the thing has three separate oil reserviors. One for the primary drive, one for the transmission gearbox, one for the crank. And they each need a different fucking oil.

yar harleys separate all that where jap bikes make it one big reservoir

ChikkenNoodul said:
I like the Japanese way, I can tell when I need to add oil by how the tranny feels :fly:

Yeah, it needs new seals....whenever I get a free weekend

Yeah. My Honda was the same way. I do not miss having to lube and adjust the chain, however.

b_sinning said:
I love horse back riding and doing cowboy stuff in general. I have a great uncle that helps drive cattle every year from Middle of Montana into Wyoming to be sold. It's like a 3 or 4 week ride cross country. Some old friend of his raises cattle up there now. So my great uncle that's retired fly's out there and buys a new horse and helps in the drive and sells the horse before coming back. I'd love to go help one day. It sounds awesome and the pictures are so damn cool.

Interesting - now how does that work? They actually horseback 'drive' the cattle? How many cows do they 'drive'?

I would love to spend some time in Montana - summer of course. Have you been there?

gottoys? said:
Interesting - now how does that work? They actually horseback 'drive' the cattle? How many cows do they 'drive'?

I would love to spend some time in Montana - summer of course. Have you been there?

I've only seen pictures of Montana but it sure is breath takingly beautiful. He says it's usually a fairly large herd and it takes about a dozen guys to do it. That's count a few guys on wagons with supplies. They carry some modern stuff like cell phones, gps, but try to do as much much as the old style as possible. A few hundred in the herds I believe. It ends up being a few herds mixed together by the time they get there. Some of the land they cross they pick up other people and their cattle. It sounds awesome.

b_sinning said:
I've only seen pictures of Montana but it sure is breath takingly beautiful. He says it's usually a fairly large herd and it takes about a dozen guys to do it. That's count a few guys on wagons with supplies. They carry some modern stuff like cell phones, gps, but try to do as much much as the old style as possible. A few hundred in the herds I believe. It ends up being a few herds mixed together by the time they get there. Some of the land they cross they pick up other people and their cattle. It sounds awesome.

Kick ass. I'd love to do that. Talk about mental refreshment. People forget what natural living is like. Everything has LEDs and buttons nowadays. I'm a firm believer that that sort of thing deteriorates your spirit.

They should hire Indians to shoot along the way. Nothing fatal, just maybe like a thigh or arm shot or something. For a little added realism. Some people would pay good money for that.

b_sinning said:

That does sound awesome. I assume they camp out? I bet your uncle would be awesome to listen to, he would have amazing stories to tell. Are you close to him at all.

I'd like to see this. I had no idea this was still going on.

Sarcasmo said:
They should hire Indians to shoot along the way. Nothing fatal, just maybe like a thigh or arm shot or something. For a little added realism. Some people would pay good money for that.

If they used mexicans, they could shoot them all they want

gottoys? said:
That does sound awesome. I assume they camp out? I bet your uncle would be awesome to listen to, he would have amazing stories to tell. Are you close to him at all.

I'd like to see this. I had no idea this was still going on.

Yep they camp out and try to avoid towns etc. It takes months in advanced to map out the route and coordinate with land owners and counties so they do nothing illegal. Most people respect the hell out of them and just ask to help out a few days.

He doesn't normally live here so I only see him at big family events. Funerals, weddings, etc.

I totally think it would be a good refresher for the mind and soul. That's one reason they do it. I believe over exposure to technology wears down the human spirit at times. Sometimes it sucks to be a tech addict.

b_sinning said:
Yep they camp out and try to avoid towns etc. It takes months in advanced to map out the route and coordinate with land owners and counties so they do nothing illegal. Most people respect the hell out of them and just ask to help out a few days.

He doesn't normally live here so I only see him at big family events. Funerals, weddings, etc.

I totally think it would be a good refresher for the mind and soul. That's one reason they do it. I believe over exposure to technology wears down the human spirit at times. Sometimes it sucks to be a tech addict.

I so agree with you (tech exposure) !! It's real scary with the new gen of kids - at 10-12 they have cell phones but would rather chat online with friends. they would rather play online games then go outside and have a football game or something.

I was going to ask how they can go such a distance with land owners. Gosh I wish I could do that (but I'm a girl and definately couldn't handle it).

I went to the NC mountains for labor day - no tv, no compute, no radio, no malls (all by choice). It was the BEST time of my life. hiked for 10 hours and felt awesome mind , spirit and body.

Sarcasmo said:
You guys have turned my manly horse thread into one about gay motorcycles and stuff. :(

missacc.jpg

ChikkenNoodul said:
I love getting away from technology :drool:

There was a time when I'd never want to be away from a computer, then I started doing it for work :fly:

My current house is out of range of cellular service, and my last one was when we bought it :p

It's so different now - I walk into an IHOP at 1am Friday night and see single guys sitting there eating alone and playing with their cell phones. Good looking young guys too. I'm thinking they should be playing with girls not phones :)

gottoys? said:
It's so different now - I walk into an IHOP at 1am Friday night and see single guys sitting there eating alone and playing with their cell phones. Good looking young guys too. I'm thinking they should be playing with girls not phones :)

Statisticly, there are more men than women of "dating age" at the moment. So, women have the ability to pick and choose lately. :)