Corporate Discrimination

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
I recently applied for a better paying job and had gone through the initial phone interview, resume and reference review, and had setup a time to do the live interview, but was called this morning and told that because I worked for my current employer the company I was applying to could not longer offer me the position because "they have interest in my parent company".

My question: Isn't this a form of discrimination?

Copy of the email I requested as explanation of why they won't hire me:

Kyle,

Again I would like to thank you for your interest in the Desktop position. As I mentioned on the phone since you are currently employed with *employer* we are no longer able to continue to consider your for the position. As a courtesy to all of our clients we will not pull any of their current employees for other positions. Please let me know If your situation changes, at that time I would be more than happy to work with you again. Thanks.

Any thoughts?

theacoustician said:
Its not discrimination. Its conflict of interest.

Conflict of interest for them, but isn't that discrimination against me?

My boss knows that I applied for the job.

KNYTE said:

No. Its conflict of interest. Period. If you don't like it, quit then reapply.

theacoustician said:
No. Its conflict of interest. Period. If you don't like it, quit then reapply.

I'd be okay with that if it was a sure thing, but since it's not, that's not possible right now.

kiwi said:
I'd be okay with that if it was a sure thing, but since it's not, that's not possible right now.
Well, hopefully there's something out there that hasn't got all the strings attached.

KNYTE said:

In some roundabout way I guess a conflict of interest in discriminatory, but then in a similarly abstract and obfuscated manner your employment is discriminatory against the guy who wants your job but can't have it because you work there.

Lame-o said:
In some roundabout way I guess a conflict of interest in discriminatory, but then in a similarly abstract and obfuscated manner your employment is discriminatory against the guy who wants your job but can't have it because you work there.
DONT GET KNYTE FIRED

I think it's only discrimination if their decision is based on something outside of your control. If the deciding factor is the fact that you're black, then it's discrimination because you can't stop being black (Michael Jackson doesn't count). They declined to hire you because of your current employer, which (in theory) is under your control. You can stop working for company X.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Nope, it's probably something that you signed at some point.

Like a 'non-compete' agreement that contractors usually have to sign.

this is what i think, too. i'm sure they wouldn't give you that reason if they thought someone could use it as discrimination. rest assured they've covered their butts. sorry!

Discrimination:

unequal treatment of persons, for a reason which has nothing to do with legal rights or ability. Federal and state laws prohibit discrimination in employment, availability of housing, rates of pay, right to promotion, educational opportunity, civil rights, and use of facilities based on race, nationality, creed, color, age, sex or sexual orientation.

Technically it's only discrimination if they use one of the things in the last sentence to block you. It's why abercrombie only hires hot clerks and alot of corporations give personality tests.

Last edited:
KNYTE said:
I recently applied for a better paying job and had gone through the initial phone interview, resume and reference review, and had setup a time to do the live interview, but was called this morning and told that because I worked for my current employer the company I was applying to could not longer offer me the position because "they have interest in my parent company".

My question: Isn't this a form of discrimination?

Copy of the email I requested as explanation of why they won't hire me:
Kyle,

Again I would like to thank you for your interest in the Desktop position. As I mentioned on the phone since you are currently employed with *employer* we are no longer able to continue to consider your for the position. As a courtesy to all of our clients we will not pull any of their current employees for other positions. Please let me know If your situation changes, at that time I would be more than happy to work with you again. Thanks.

Any thoughts?

Let me translate that for you.

We found out you like guns. A lot. And while we are not opposed to lawful gun toting red blooded americans, we feel its in the best interests of our company to not hire a flaming gaywad who wears gloves while discharging his firearm. Freak

Along the same lines as JJ's post. If anyone can find Knyte a job (anywhere in the country) that pays 80K a year, I'll send you naked pics of him.

kiwi said:
Along the same lines as JJ's post. If anyone can find Knyte a job (anywhere in the country) that pays 80K a year, I'll send you naked pics of him.
HUGE INCENTIVE right there :rolleyes: