Copypasta: Cash for clunkers

Might not have been much in the grand scale of things, but it did lessen the demand for foreign oil.
That's the point; it didn't. We used more foreign oil transporting and crushing these cars as well as building the new cars to replace them with than we saved.
Just because the plan wasn't 100% perfect, doesn't mean it was useless. It was a step in the right direction. And it's not like you all would have gotten the tax money back in your wallet had this program not happened. The money probably would have been spent on something else less productive.

Actually it was -100% perfect. In other words, it made things worse. Thus, utterly fucking useless. It was a step in the wrong direction; once again fooling people into thinking that stupid things like this are making any kind of difference when in fact they're costing more resources and hurting more people - especially in the low income bracket - than simply doing nothing at all.

No, I wouldn't have gotten the tax money back but it would have been used for something more important and not wasteful. This kind of thing only encourages similar idiocy.

And we also know it did do some good.
It didn't. Not one bit. It increased the demand on foreign oil both in the short term with the program itself and possibly in the long term by making the public think stupid shit like that is a good idea and thus those same idiots will support further retarded measures in the future.
What were those tax dollars going to be spent on that was much better?

They could have been spent on hookers & blow and it would have done less damage to the country as a whole.

That's the point; it didn't. We used more foreign oil transporting and crushing these cars as well as building the new cars to replace them with than we saved.

Actually it was -100% perfect. In other words, it made things worse. Thus, utterly fucking useless. It was a step in the wrong direction; once again fooling people into thinking that stupid things like this are making any kind of difference when in fact they're costing more resources and hurting more people - especially in the low income bracket - than simply doing nothing at all.

No, I wouldn't have gotten the tax money back but it would have been used for something more important and not wasteful. This kind of thing only encourages similar idiocy.

They will not be transporting those cars forever.

I completely disagree with you. I believe it took a step in the right direction. I think your hate for Obama blinds you to any good he could possible do.

It didn't. Not one bit. It increased the demand on foreign oil both in the short term with the program itself and possibly in the long term by making the public think stupid shit like that is a good idea and thus those same idiots will support further retarded measures in the future.
No it did not increase demand for foreign oil. that's just silly talk.

They could have been spent on hookers & blow and it would have done less damage to the country as a whole.

yeah and right wingers like you would have imploded with fury.

They will not be transporting those cars forever.

I completely disagree with you. I believe it took a step in the right direction. I think your hate for Obama blinds you to any good he could possible do.

No of course we won't be transporting those cars forever. But the amount of resources wasted won't be covered in the amount of time it would have taken for those cars to be sold because, again, new cars have to be made to replace them. New cars that are out of the price range for the low income consumer. New cars whose fuel efficiency is not "double" that of the majority of the cars crushed.

So basically, we didn't lessen our dependency on foreign oil. Even if we'd broken even this would still be damaging as a waste of perfectly good resources. Again, the low income people bear the brunt of the problems here.

If you think I hate Obama then you haven't been paying attention. Nice try obfuscating the issue, though.

No of course we won't be transporting those cars forever. But the amount of resources wasted won't be covered in the amount of time it would have taken for those cars to be sold because, again, new cars have to be made to replace them. New cars that are out of the price range for the low income consumer. New cars whose fuel efficiency is not "double" that of the majority of the cars crushed.

So basically, we didn't lessen our dependency on foreign oil. Even if we'd broken even this would still be damaging as a waste of perfectly good resources. Again, the low income people bear the brunt of the problems here.

If you think I hate Obama then you haven't been paying attention. Nice try obfuscating the issue, though.

I just can't make any sense of the things you say.. So I chalk it up to you hating Obama..

If the cars are sold, then most would probably end up back on the road. Then we would be adding demand for foreign oil.

Not to mention with all the Toyota's that were bought, how many jobs were kept.

I just can't make any sense of the things you say..
Your fault, not mine.
So I chalk it up to you hating Obama..
What's that they say about assumption being the mother of all fuckups?
If the cars are sold, then most would probably end up back on the road. Then we would be adding demand for foreign oil.
That's why the entire program shouldn't have been started in the first place. People with perfectly functioning vehicles that couldn't really afford to add another $300 car payment to their monthly budget didn't need to buy a new goddamn car. It's not saving them a single month's payment in gas and it's not saving the country any significant amount either.
Not to mention with all the Toyota's that were bought, how many jobs were kept.
Not that many considering it was only a few hundred thousand vehicles total, of that only a fraction were Toyota and they had already been built. Toyota was not about to fire anyone had this program not kicked in.

It did more damage than the marginal good you seem to be praising. The demand on foreign oil saved is insignificant compared to the negative economic and social impact it had. Then you add in the amount of foreign oil used solely because of the program and you have an overall pooch screw.

Not that many considering it was only a few hundred thousand vehicles total, of that only a fraction were Toyota and they had already been built. Toyota was not about to fire anyone had this program not kicked in.

Lets not forget that they had to replace what was sold. Inventories were stacking up++

That said, I hate the program. :D