Cool things to do with my Nano

The only thing I don't get is why are people so ga-ga over these players with tiny capacity? There are a ton of flash players on the market but barely any hard drive based one's anymore. I need the big capacity. I've got 40 gigs and even that isn't enough. I get there are some people that are very physical and like to jog or workout with their players and flash is right for them. But most people listen either walking around, sitting at a desk, or in the car; stuff that won't phase a hard drive player. What gives? I know a bunch of you now have flash based players. What's the allure?

Yeah, I should mention I don't want to get raped by Apple. I was looking at a Philips 6 gig that's aroudn $180 or something. Then I always realize I don't care that much and would rather spend the money on something else.
You also may want to look at the Sandisk Sansa e280 (8 gig) or e260 (6 gig). Actually pretty nice units and they have a slot for expandable flash memory.

Yeah, I should mention I don't want to get raped by Apple. I was looking at a Philips 6 gig that's aroudn $180 or something. Then I always realize I don't care that much and would rather spend the money on something else.

iRiver ftw, amirite?

The only thing I don't get is why are people so ga-ga over these players with tiny capacity? There are a ton of flash players on the market but barely any hard drive based one's anymore. I need the big capacity. I've got 40 gigs and even that isn't enough. I get there are some people that are very physical and like to jog or workout with their players and flash is right for them. But most people listen either walking around, sitting at a desk, or in the car; stuff that won't phase a hard drive player. What gives? I know a bunch of you now have flash based players. What's the allure?

They were told over and over and over and over that it's cool. Also, most people don't know that anything exists besided the ipod.

"MP3 player? Why the fuck would I want one of those? I need an ipod! Shiny-Glossy-Ad-Stuffed-Trendwhore magazine says it's the best thing since hair plugs and rophynol!"

Some of us don't need that much music. Having 40GB of music is what I don't get. I'm certain that I have never downloaded/paid for 40GB of music in my life. How long would that take to listen to every track? A year?

Full Disclosure: I'll be running with this one.

edit: And it looks like rockbox doesn't support my Nano, as I think its a 2nd gen. :(

Last edited:
Some of us don't need that much music. Having 40GB of music is what I don't get. I'm certain that I have never downloaded/paid for 40GB of music in my life. How long would that take to listen to every track? A year?

Full Disclosure: I'll be running with this one.
I have an 45-60 minute train ride (each way), every day. I also listen to it while I'm doing CAD or writing stuff up. I probably listen to it 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week.

I think you also assume that I listen to the same kind of music all day long. I've got whole categories of stuff for different moods.

I have an 45-60 minute train ride (each way), every day. I also listen to it while I'm doing CAD or writing stuff up. I probably listen to it 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week.

I think you also assume that I listen to the same kind of music all day long. I've got whole categories of stuff for different moods.

I understand what you're saying, but you must admit it seems a little excessive. At most you listen to it for 25 hours a week, yet have over 500 hours of music (which is almost 5 months worth of original songs).

I understand what you're saying, but you must admit it seems a little excessive. At most you listen to it for 25 hours a week, yet have over 500 hours of music (which is almost 5 months worth of original songs).

I encode at a higher than average bitrate. I still get repeats that come up on random shuffle all the time. This player can only store about half my total collection. I don't think it excessive at all. I wonder why someone would spend any money on a dedicated music player when they can fit their entire collection in the space of 4-6 gigs. I understand the workout aspect and the need for flash there, but $150-$300 just so you can listen to songs while you jog? That's not to say you shouldn't enjoy your new toy, I just can't fathom that market.

Each MP3 should be around 3-5mb right? So taking the higher end of 5mb's per song at a gig is ~200 songs. So ~8000 songs if I did that right, nahhhh not in excess at all, ahah

I encode at a higher than average bitrate. I still get repeats that come up on random shuffle all the time. This player can only store about half my total collection. I don't think it excessive at all. I wonder why someone would spend any money on a dedicated music player when they can fit their entire collection in the space of 4-6 gigs. I understand the workout aspect and the need for flash there, but $150-$300 just so you can listen to songs while you jog? That's not to say you shouldn't enjoy your new toy, I just can't fathom that market.

We obviously have different levels of interest in music. I dont care what bitrate shit is at. I dont care if my ID3 tags are all wrong. I don't need the whole album. I don't care if its lossy. I normally just listen to the radio for christ's sake. You are certainly much more of a music elitest than I am, hence our differences in music applicances. Maybe after this Nano, I'll get the music bug and be concerned about all this other stuff. In the meantime, its kinda like trying to tell your grandma that she needs a $500 video card. Its a totally different market...

We obviously have different levels of interest in music. I dont care what bitrate shit is at. I dont care if my ID3 tags are all wrong. I don't need the whole album. I don't care if its lossy. I normally just listen to the radio for christ's sake. You are certainly much more of a music elitest than I am, hence our differences in music applicances. Maybe after this Nano, I'll get the music bug and be concerned about all this other stuff. In the meantime, its kinda like trying to tell your grandma that she needs a $500 video card. Its a totally different market...

Calm down Sally. I said specifically I hope you like your toy and that the reason that I'm asking is I simply don't get it.