Thread Cool Things The Pope says

Right, but where in the story I posted does it say anything about Adam and Eve? They pop up waaaay down the story in this book

Asking the kids about nature being nice and fun then hitting them with the obey question makes zero sense
It doesn't. They come in later. Here I would have agreed with the idea of obeying parents. I'll be honest if my kid disobeys me or his teachers I'm not a happy camper at all. I'll love him, but won't like his actions.

That said it has nothing to do with this specific part of Genesis. I do wonder that since the next bit is about Adam & Eve that it is a lead in question?

What is question 4 like on the next page?

Way down the story in this book? You know we can see it says Adam on the next page right?(4th line from the bottom)
In kiko terms it's not the immediate issue in the story and I obviously put the book down when when got to this Obey shit.

Up to that this point all we talked about was what God created.

What
does
That
Have
To
Do
With
Obeying

Regardless, the question was aggressive

It doesn't. They come in later. Here I would have agreed with the idea of obeying parents. I'll be honest if my kid disobeys me or his teachers I'm not a happy camper at all. I'll love him, but won't like his actions.

That said it has nothing to do with this specific part of Genesis. I do wonder that since the next bit is about Adam & Eve that it is a lead in question?

What is question 4 like on the next page?
I'm not happy when my son makes "bad decisions" at school or home either but referring it to "Obeying it disobeying" is a bit harsh

I'm not happy when my son makes "bad decisions" at school or home either but referring it to "Obeying it disobeying" is a bit harsh
Eh obey is just the opposite of disobey - making bad choices. Whatever. I'm a 'mean mom' though and I expect my child to listen well and do what he is told. Doesn't mean I don't love him or anything. Just means I expect him to act appropriately for the situations, and if it means he's disobeying then that's not good. I have no issue using that word because it's what kids do sometimes (disobey or obey)

I think Ape rubbed off on you. You were never quite this picking on religions before ;)
(just teasing)

In reality I do think this is a lead in question and you are putting far to much weight one word that others don't necessarily do it. If you don't like the book, quit reading it. You know we go to church here every week and there are some religious books/ideas that I won't teach my child. Just because it is Christian based doesn't mean I'll like it.

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia
Eh obey is just the opposite of disobey - making bad choices. Whatever. I'm a 'mean mom' though and I expect my child to listen well and do what he is told. Doesn't mean I don't love him or anything. Just means I expect him to act appropriately for the situations, and if it means he's disobeying then that's not good. I have no issue using that word because it's what kids do sometimes (disobey or obey)

I think Ape rubbed off on you. You were never quite this picking on religions before ;)
(just teasing)

In reality I do think this is a lead in question and you are putting far to much weight one word that others don't necessarily do it. If you don't like the book, quit reading it. You know we go to church here every week and there are some religious books/ideas that I won't teach my child. Just because it is Christian based doesn't mean I'll like it.

I agree with all of the following:

I expect my child to listen well and do what he is told. Doesn't mean I don't love him or anything. Just means I expect him to act appropriately for the situations.

I just really dislike the word disobey.

That's a term used when training dogs not kids.

Funny thing is I don't remember touching religion when I saw April.

I have always respected others religions and have voiced that here. I especially hate the baby jesus jokes as I find them tasteless.

But recently since I've been doing this extra church stuff and looking at things with a clearer Buddhist mind I'm seeing these little things that are starting to bother me since it's involving my kid.

Before, it's what was drilled into MY head as a kid. Now I look at things cautiously since I'm exposing my son to these things.

I agree with all of the following:

I expect my child to listen well and do what he is told. Doesn't mean I don't love him or anything. Just means I expect him to act appropriately for the situations.

I just really dislike the word disobey.

That's a term used when training dogs not kids.

Funny thing is I don't remember touching religion when I saw April.

I have always respected others religions and have voiced that here. I especially hate the baby jesus jokes as I find them tasteless.

But recently since I've been doing this extra church stuff and looking at things with a clearer Buddhist mind I'm seeing these little things that are starting to bother me since it's involving my kid.

Before, it's what was drilled into MY head as a kid. Now I look at things cautiously since I'm exposing my son to these things.
I was definitely teasing about April. Truly was! I just noticed twice recently you ranted about some religious stuff you've come across. I know you're usually very respectful of other religions which is why I was teasing about that.

Oddly my parents were into dog showing when they had fertility issues. So obey and snapping fingers and saying "sit" were things I grew up with. I swear the dogs were treated like people though :fly:

So it's jut a word that doesn't bug me when talking about kids, but I get why it would bug you. I do think it was a lead into Adam and Eve though. I'd be interested to know if all the last questions tried to lead into a new story. I hate that kind of thing but that's what dumb teaching books do at times.

I will say I prefer the use of "honor" instead of "obey" We did remove obey from our wedding vows. So in some contexts it can bug me.

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia
it's just a word, and an old word at that. Don't get caught up in stretching it into a control issue.

It could be just as easily reworded as "Are you happier when you make good choices or bad choices?"

Have you ever watched the movie Parental Guidance (there's some really entertaining 'new age' parenting in there. ie: "go into your [emotional] toolbox, get out your. . . " but this is all I could find at the moment,

The thing is, the bible isn't going to get translated into 'newage verbiage' any time soon. It's just a different way of saying the same thing. It may be better to concentrate on "everyone" will say things in their own way and sometimes it will be different than what we're used to. But, the important thing is to try and understand what's being said because there will be many ways to say it."

When was that book printed?

On a parallel track: I used to let my daughter go over & play and eat dinner at her friends house when she'd ask. I knew those parents really well. We were probably 85% compatible (parenting-wise), and the other wasn't all that out of line. Part of the difference was that they'd feed their kids out of a box EVERY FUCKING NIGHT. Every time my daughter went there, it was Totinos pizza rolls for dinner. EVERY FUCKING TIME. But my daughter knew it was just the way they did it, and it wasn't 'our' way. Different. Not unacceptable. & when she'd have her friend over for dinner, her friend was floored that we 'cooked on the stove' all the time.

Last edited:
it's just a word, and an old word at that. Don't get caught up in stretching it into a control issue.

It could be just as easily reworded as "Are you happier when you make good choices or bad choices?"

Have you ever watched the movie Parental Guidance (there's some really entertaining 'new age' parenting in there. ie: "go into your [emotional] toolbox, get out your. . . " but this is all I could find at the moment,

The thing is, the bible isn't going to get translated into 'newage verbiage' any time soon. It's just a different way of saying the same thing. It may be better to concentrate on "everyone" will say things in their own way and sometimes it will be different than what we're used to. But, the important thing is to try and understand what's being said because there will be many ways to say it."

When was that book printed?

On a parallel track: I used to let my daughter go over & play and eat dinner at her friends house when she'd ask. I knew those parents really well. We were probably 85% compatible (parenting-wise), and the other wasn't all that out of line. Part of the difference was that they'd feed their kids out of a box EVERY FUCKING NIGHT. Every time my daughter went there, it was Totinos pizza rolls for dinner. EVERY FUCKING TIME. But my daughter knew it was just the way they did it, and it wasn't 'our' way. Different. Not unacceptable. & when she'd have her friend over for dinner, her friend was floored that we 'cooked on the stove' all the time.

is your daughters friend obese yet?
im gone ago ahead and say YES.
i don't have a single box thing in this house for my kid. ew. i don't want him to grow a tail

I know someone who gave their kids frozen stuff or canned goodness every day because the kids didn't want to eat what the parents did. Oddly the parents are pretty obese and the kids are not at all! (they're teens now)

I try not to judge too much, but something that gets me every single time is when I see a baby eating chocolate. That's my trigger for judgy parenting.

I prefer to cook from scratch as much as possible, though today I'm really dying for some taquitos and mozz (fried badness). I can't judge someone for what they feed their kids as long as they are healthy. When I see an obese kid I feel sad though.

i'm still holding out hope that he took a strand of her hair and is making a voodoo doll
LOL

I think it's sick that she's using this as a political gain. I wouldn't doubt they set it up for her as many groups try to do with the vatican.

Mark Wahlberg also met with him. Which amuses me more than anything Kim fuckface Davis does.