Baby Cool geeky gift ideas

Shame on you. Do you know how many trips between CVS and Walmart followed by converting them Turkish Lyria to be reconverted to Euros then USD each at a different bank followed by another 4 trips between CVS and Publix @fly had to do to get you that $100 gift card for the low price of $98?
raise.com ftw

Buy a man jerky, he'll have jerky, then he'll be out of jerky. Give a man everything he needs to make jerky... look the fuck out.

Does he have:

- A sharp chef's knife?
- A food dehydrator, or a smoker if you've got a big budget?
This year the budget isn't enough for that (we're buying a house in the next couple weeks). Next year however I may have to do this.

I'm going test driving Global Chef's knives this weekend. me=giddy.

I have great 6" and 8" Wustoffs, but want a Global because they're so damn razor sharp for so long.
I gave the gf a Wusthof santoku a few years ago, which I find constantly needs sharpening. It's made out of a softer steel, I'm sure the intent was to make a more forgiving knife that you won't destroy if you strike bone or twist the knife sideways when you're carving something.

I find it's best to have a few different knives around. My 8" full tang Grohmann chef knife is my daily driver, the Wusthof is the turkey carving knife. I had a Grohmann carving knife that I kept stupidly sharp for doing jobs like cutting jerky, but I dropped it and broke it a few months ago :( Let me know what you think of the Global, I've been meaning to get another "stupid sharp" knife.

Let me know what you think of the Global, I've been meaning to get another "stupid sharp" knife.
I have this Global in the Santuko variety. It was $90 when I got it (amazon had it for only a couple bucks less). I bought it at a local Sur La Table (a bump up from Williams Sonoma) only because I wanted to that style (look at the handle) first. Someone on Top Chef (a long time ago) was drooling over Global knifes & the other chefs were in agreement. I got that for my daughter! she was 7, & the main reason I got it for her is it was super light with a much smaller handle.

Anyway, that fucking knife is my go to if I'm not using the chef's knife. It's razor sharp & for some reason holds it's edge like nothing I've seen. The chef's knife MUST be sharpened before slicing tomatoes. The global? I seriously think I could dig a hole to plant a tree with the global, wash it, & slice tomatoes like melted butter all day. It's actually laughable. It feels like a light saber in my hand.

/globaljunkie

YfrGYoS.jpg

Exactly how I feel about gift cards.

^- This.

Now if gift cards did something like give you $12 of spending money for $10 in exchange for tying you to one place, I'd be cool with that.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
I have this Global in the Santuko variety. It was $90 when I got it (amazon had it for only a couple bucks less). I bought it at a local Sur La Table (a bump up from Williams Sonoma) only because I wanted to that style (look at the handle) first. Someone on Top Chef (a long time ago) was drooling over Global knifes & the other chefs were in agreement. I got that for my daughter! she was 7, & the main reason I got it for her is it was super light with a much smaller handle.

Anyway, that fucking knife is my go to if I'm not using the chef's knife. It's razor sharp & for some reason holds it's edge like nothing I've seen. The chef's knife MUST be sharpened before slicing tomatoes. The global? I seriously think I could dig a hole to plant a tree with the global, wash it, & slice tomatoes like melted butter all day. It's actually laughable. It feels like a light saber in my hand.

/globaljunkie
for razor sharp, why not just go with a ceramic.

Obviously ya cant use it on anything that got bones. But for anything else its a permasharp knife.

for razor sharp, why not just go with a ceramic.

Obviously ya cant use it on anything that got bones. But for anything else its a permasharp knife.
well, I just read this, http://stellaculinary.com/content/how-pick-out-chefs-knife-thats-right-you

that goes on and on about 'you really only need 2 knives in your kitchen.' & I like the idea of not cluttering up further. I got the Wusthoffs 12ish yrs ago when they were on a super sale & bought 6 I think. I wanted to have 'all the right tools.' fast forward 12 years, I use 2 knifes 95% of the time, then, a week ago, read that article. lolz.

I'm going test driving Global Chef's knives this weekend. me=giddy.

I have great 6" and 8" Wustoffs, but want a Global because they're so damn razor sharp for so long.
I have an 8" and a 10" from this collection, and they're the bee's knees.

edit: mine are just "Black Diamond", and have ebony handles instead of sani-grip or w/e. Very nice knives.

Last edited:
A
I always have a stack of gift cards...

I wish people would give me Amazon gift cards so they would actually be used.
amazon prime makes last minute Christmas shopping a piece of cake. I think we placed 4 different Amazon orders yesterday.

I have 5 main knives all from the I.O. Shen Mastergrade triplex series http://ioshen.co.uk/product-category/all-io-shen-knives/

The 10" chef's knife is my main weapon with the pointed parer probably the next most used. The most beautiful and satisfying to use is the sashimi though. The 5 including the bread knife and boning knife cost around £430. I plan on getting the filleting knife and the cleaver at some point.