Cooking With ERage - Pan Seared Game Hens

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
Marklar
₥10
Hey everybody. I thought I'd take a shot at making a series of cooking threads that are picture based. These recipes will teach you to make random dishes from scratch. I'll try to do one each weekend that I cook Blondie dinner...which is usually once per weekend.

The quality of these pictures is not great, took them with my PDA...my camera got stolen a few months back. I should have a new one soon so the quality should improve greatly.

Some of these recipes are inspired by books, TV, or family. When possible I will give credit to the source that gave the inspiration or basis for the recipe.

Today's dinner: Pan seared game hens.
Source of inspiration: Good Eats with Alton Brown

Things you will need:

1 - 12" Cast Iron Skillet
Heavy scissors or kitchen shears
A fairly sharp paring knife
1 clay brick
Tin foil
2 cornish game hens
20 to 25 fresh pearl onions, peeled
4 strips of thick sliced bacon cut into 1/2" pieces
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
About an hour to do all this :D

First, wrap your brick in tin foil and put it into a 500 degree pre-heated oven. I know it sounds crazy but we'll get back to this later, for now let's just let the brick get good and hot.

Next, it's time to prepare your birds. This is where most of your prep work is going to be. Usually game hens are bought frozen so be sure that the hens are completely thawed before starting.

First arrange your birds on a working surface, breast side down, so that the neck is facing you and the tail is facing away from you...

5234830dcfd4fa26.jpg

We need to remove the spine from the neck to the tailbone. Take your kitchen shears and start cutting beside the spine and go towards the tailbone. Continue cutting until you are all the way out the back side...

5234830dcfd55bd6.jpg

Do the same cut on the opposite side of the spine...

5234830dcfd586c0.jpg

The spine should now be removed, do the same step on your other bird...

5234830dcfd5b1ba.jpg

Next take your paring knife. Inside the cavity you just created, you will see some cartilidge covering what is called the keel bone. make a cut in the cartilidge over the keel bone...

5234830dcfd5dcaf.jpg

Once you have cut the cartilidge, just take both sides of the bird and open it like a book. The keel bone should pop up and you can pull it right out. You might have to do a little more cutting with your knife here to get it out entirely...

5234830dcfd607a2.jpg

Hard part's over, now flip your birds over so the skin side is facing up. Just use your knife to poke a couple of holes in the skin near the tail area so that you can tuck the legs in and keep them secure during the cooking process...

5234830dcfd63299.jpg

Next, put your cast iron skillet over medium heat and throw in your bacon pieces. Pro-tip: use your kitchen shears to snip the bacon into the pan rather than cutting it with a knife. Raw bacon is sticky and a pain in the ass to work with. This will make things a bit easier.

5234830dcfd65d8f.jpg

Now, while the bacon is browning season your birds on both sides with kosher salt and ground pepper to taste. After the bacon bits are cooked, drain them but save the grease (not just for April). Put about a tablespoon of the grease back into the skillet and return it to the heat. Reserve your bacon bits on the side for later. Immediately add your birds skin side down and throw in the onions...

5234830dcfd68885.jpg

Now, take that hot brick out of the oven and stick it on top of the birds. This will do 2 things, it will press down the hens so they cook more evenly and it will heat from the top down as the pan heats from the bottom up. Cook the birds like this for 5 minutes on the medium heat.

5234830dcfd6b762.jpg

After 5 minutes on the stove, take the whole pan...brick and all...and stick it into the oven which should still be at 500 degrees. Bake here for about 15 minutes or until the thigh meat reaches internal temperature of about 175 degrees.

Take the pan out and serve skin side up, garnish with the now carmelized onions and bacon bits that you set aside. I like to serve long grain wild rice and a salad or other vegetable on the side. The wild rice really brings out the earthy flavors of the hens. The final product should look like this...

5234830dd0e15c77.jpg

And there you have it, the whole process should take between 45 minutes and an hour. I hope you all get an opportunity to try it out.

If anyone trys this out, let me know how it went. Did you do anything to improve the recipe? How did you like it?

Next week if I'm feeling saucy I'll make some pizza dough from scratch and homemade pizza sauce for an awesome ERage family pizza recipe. It's easier to do than you think.

Enjoy!

Love,

ERage

I'll be climbing through ERage's kitchen window tonight to raid his fridge.

Although I've always been told to never trust a skinny chef.

Last edited:
looks nice...I don't cook though...too much pain for 1

nah, think of it as practice. Woo the next chick by cooking her something fancy instead of hitting one of the yuppy restaurants that she's probably been to 100 times before.

Besides, this recipe can work just as easy for 1 hen, or you could make 2 and have a leftover ;) It's not really that much work...

Pro-tip: use your kitchen shears to snip the bacon into the pan rather than cutting it with a knife. Raw bacon is sticky and a pain in the ass to work with.
Put the bacon in the freezer 30 minutes ahead of time and it'll be firm enough to where you can chop it into little tiny pieces no problems.

nah, think of it as practice. Woo the next chick by cooking her something fancy instead of hitting one of the yuppy restaurants that she's probably been to 100 times before.

Besides, this recipe can work just as easy for 1 hen, or you could make 2 and have a leftover ;) It's not really that much work...

pass :p

Awesome thread. Game hens always seemed like such a pain, but maybe I'll try this.

For anyone interested, here's a link to a good cast iron skillet.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-12-Inch-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet/dp/B00006JSUB/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1211199061&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Lodge Logic 12-Inch Pre-Seasoned Skillet: Home & Garden[/ame]

Its kinda odd that cast iron has fallen out of favor in most cooking. Not only does it give more even cooking than just about everything else, as long as its well seasoned - its easy to clean...

i don't think i could get through all that without throwing up. :eek: i'm sorry...i've just never cooked a THING with the bone in.

the end product looks great though, and i'm very impressed you did all that.

Awesome thread. Game hens always seemed like such a pain, but maybe I'll try this.

For anyone interested, here's a link to a good cast iron skillet.
Amazon.com: Lodge Logic 12-Inch Pre-Seasoned Skillet: Home & Garden

Its kinda odd that cast iron has fallen out of favor in most cooking. Not only does it give more even cooking than just about everything else, as long as its well seasoned - its easy to clean...

That's my pan. Another pro-tip: always season your cast iron cookware after cooking each time. Never wash with soap...just water and a soft scrub is enough.

To season, put your pan in your oven cold, set the oven to preheat to 250 degrees. As soon as the oven preheats turn it off again and let the pan cool until it is warm but able to be touched with your hand.

Then just take a small amount of flavorless cooking oil, i use canola, and wipe the oil across the cooking surface with a paper towel.

You now have a seasoned pan that is non-stick and rust resistant.

If you go long periods of time without using the pan, you might want to season it again before your next use.

i don't think i could get through all that without throwing up. :eek: i'm sorry...i've just never cooked a THING with the bone in.

the end product looks great though, and i'm very impressed you did all that.

Blondie doesn't like the carnage either. But it's really quite easy to do, maybe you can force spange to do it while you relax on the couch with a cocktail :fly:

That's my pan. Another pro-tip: always season your cast iron cookware after cooking each time. Never wash with soap...just water and a soft scrub is enough.

To season, put your pan in your oven cold, set the oven to preheat to 250 degrees. As soon as the oven preheats turn it off again and let the pan cool until it is warm but able to be touched with your hand.

Then just take a small amount of flavorless cooking oil, i use canola, and wipe the oil across the cooking surface with a paper towel.

You now have a seasoned pan that is non-stick and rust resistant.

If you go long periods of time without using the pan, you might want to season it again before your next use.

Really? After each time? I've only used mine a couple of times now, I guess I need to season it again...

Blondie doesn't like the carnage either. But it's really quite easy to do, maybe you can force spange to do it while you relax on the couch with a cocktail :fly:

i have no problem EATING meat because i don't think about it, but dealing with it always gets to me, especially when i see tendons and blood vessels...:barf: i wish i wasn't like that, but what do you do? i like the idea of spange cooking. :fly: actually, he's very good in the kitchen...he just doesn't feel like doing it after working, and i don't blame him. but he has a mighty tasty lil' menu goin' on. :hi2u:

Really? After each time? I've only used mine a couple of times now, I guess I need to season it again...

depends on how much you scrub it after use, and what you are cooking in it each time, and the age of the pan. Older pans need seasoned less than new pans. It never hurts to season it again...you can't over season it.

Maybe I'll get adventurous and try this one night. We shall have to see how I'm feeling. Also Sam's Club had an awesome cast iron set last year that I'm hoping they'll have again this year (I didn't buy one last year). I think it had 5 pieces for 60 bucks. I actually want to start cooking in cast iron more (as much of a pain as it is) cause some of the iron will actually come off in your food, giving everything you cook in it a little more iron. This is good for me cause a lot of kids (mine included) are iron deficient.

Maybe I'll get adventurous and try this one night. We shall have to see how I'm feeling. Also Sam's Club had an awesome cast iron set last year that I'm hoping they'll have again this year (I didn't buy one last year). I think it had 5 pieces for 60 bucks. I actually want to start cooking in cast iron more (as much of a pain as it is) cause some of the iron will actually come off in your food, giving everything you cook in it a little more iron. This is good for me cause a lot of kids (mine included) are iron deficient.

Cast iron really isn't that bad to cook with. In fact, it gets easier every time you season it. After a few years, shit will slide right off of it...

chim heats his up to 300F or so after every time he uses it. Takes olive oil and kosher salt (larger crystals) and "scrubs" the inside with paper towel. The salt acts as an abrasive to get rid of any stuckon bits and the oil seasons it.

He does that immediately after each and every time he uses it.

chim heats his up to 300F or so after every time he uses it. Takes olive oil and kosher salt (larger crystals) and "scrubs" the inside with paper towel. The salt acts as an abrasive to get rid of any stuckon bits and the oil seasons it.

He does that immediately after each and every time he uses it.

Yep...i like to use unflavored oil so that all foods don't take on the flavor of the oil. The salt sounds like a good idea, i'll try that out next time. I've just been using a sturdy plastic bristled scrub brush.