container ship flips on side with 4700 cars aboard

ChikkenNoodul said:
Did it sink?

That would make a GREAT dive

they don't expect it to sink at all...it's listing with the rudder and props high and dry but still watertight

ChikkenNoodul said:
There's a sunken car ferry in the Great Lakes with some well preserved old cars :D

I would LOVE to dive on something like that
back in the days of my retarded youth I wanted to be a marine archaeologist :D

ChikkenNoodul said:
I still want to be one :p

Of course, I didn't discover that until AFTER I had a career and responsibilities :rant:

I don't think anyone ever made it in, and it's probably too deteriorated/collapsed now - but allegedly there were several VERY rare automobiles including a one-of-a-kind prototype on the Andrea Doria's car deck

me too! if you ever get the bug to start a marine salvage company, shoot me a pm :D

if it's cold enough down there, the deterioration will be limited :)
any idea what the prototype is? I would assume, if this wreck is diveable, many people have been already :(

April23 said:
Oh that's gotta be neat... and cold.

My mom and dad are from Superior and Green Bay, respectively. My mom's father has some amazing books and naval charts detailing where various wrecks are, how they sunk, etc. The car ferry is on one of them. Lake Superior is amazing, and has some great lore behind it. And yes, it is REALLY damn cold. But the visibility is horrible due to the iron and other minerals in the water so you can't dive it very well.

The Doria gets bashed a LOT by winter storms I understand, it's ~240 ft to the sand there so it's plenty cold.

From Gary Gentile's most recent book, it sounds like all of the upper decks have collapsed, and the ship is starting to droop in the middle (It's laying on it's side).

I'll have to see if I can find where I saw what the car actually was...

ChikkenNoodul said:
The Doria gets bashed a LOT by winter storms I understand, it's ~240 ft to the sand there so it's plenty cold.

From Gary Gentile's most recent book, it sounds like all of the upper decks have collapsed, and the ship is starting to droop in the middle (It's laying on it's side).

I'll have to see if I can find where I saw what the car actually was...

storms shouldn't affect anything that far down, no? :confused:

And regarding the Chester Poling - a local tanker wreck I've been to a few times

"On the morning of January 10, 1977, she unloaded her heating oil cargo in Everett, MA and headed for her homeport of Newington, NJ. Captain Charles Burgess was soon struggling with 15-30' seas and 50 mph winds 8 miles off Cape Ann, MA. A big wave broke her in two, just aft of the midships pilot house. A mayday call was issued at 10:30 am. The USCG saved 6 of the 7 crewmen, The bow and stern separated by about six miles. The stern settled in at a depth of about 80'. The blizzard of 1978 moved the 200' long stern downhill to a depth of slightly over 100' at high tide."