Construction blog

ZRH

(retired?) Google-F.U.
Mar 5, 2005
<3
Marklar
₥21,146
So, forgoing posting for a bit because of more destruction than construction going on, we finished on complete wall now. Except insulation, wiring, door/windows, siding, trim, drywall... Makes it sound bad, but the hard parts are done now, particularly: framing, plumbing/squaring, sheathing, flashing, rain screed/water barrier-ing.

Pics:

They delivered my cement blocks today:

372462bf191951aa.jpg

Because of the shortcuts in the original building where there was no foundation per se. So when rain hit the slab it splashed and was sucked up under the siding which caused all that rot. Code for distance between wall and grade is 6", good practice is 12", I'm going with 8" (1 CMU high, which is still better than 0" as before).

372462bf191974cf.jpg

Some sexy door framing with the water barrier. Notes on the water barrier: 30 lb asphalt paper, it is far better than Tyvek or other manufactured products. The reason it usually isnt used in production building is that the rolls are only 36" wide, compared to 8 or 10 feet with tyvek, which means about 2.5 layers per 8 ft of wall height. It's also labor intensive to apply as the stuff weighs about a pound per yard and it curls hard enough to pull staples out of the wall when you are putting it up. It doesnt tear, self repairs by oozing tar to some degree, and it doesnt trap moisture inside the walls (major problem with pastic housewraps). 15 lb asphalt paper is what they use behind stucco applications. 30 lb is just better, usually used for flat roofs and whatnot.

372462bf191997f4.jpg

Inside shot.

372462bf1919bb1a.jpg

Bottom 16" of wall are pressure treated lumber to avoid any possible rot. There is also tar paper under the bottom plate, and a layer of coal tar between them to stop capillary action, and ants. The structural fasteners are 16 d (3-1/2") spiral shank hot dipped galvanized nails, regular nails will corrode in pressure treated lumber and if it EVER gets wet, they wont rust, spiral shanks double the holding power (the few nails we've placed wrong we're a complete bitch to pull out, even with a 36" wrecking bar, since then we've taken to just snipping them with bolt cutters).

372462bf191a0163.jpg

New style corner post so that you can get insulation all the way into the corner. Helps with the problem of cold corners in older houses.

372462bf1919de3e.jpg

Water barrier goes ALL the way around the door frame to the inside to prevent rot. Lotta detail work with the exterior saves having to replace stuff, ever.

372462bf191a2488.jpg

Temporary light switch made from scraps of the old wiring. I have every intention of killing anyone who tries to steal my tools when they hit it.

Soffit looks like crap because it needs replacing. As with the gutter. Im thinking half round galvanized steel like they use on industrial buildings, then we can braze the joints and powerwash it.

Got paint for the door/window trim/soffit too. Sherwin Williams A-100 latex exterior in a grey green (my Dad had a screaming fit when I was ordering some Chartuese Yellow on the phone, you know, the colour of emergency vehicles :D ) I wanted oil based stuff but you need a permit to use it. Bleh!

Last edited:
I forget, are you gonna live in this thing once its done or what? And fuck all that asphalt shit, that looks like a major PITA.

And any particular reason that you're overbuilding this?

looks like a lakehouse to me. if not, it's about what i'd do for a lakehouse.

and get your division 16 subs in there to fix that damn wiring.

Last edited:
I forget, are you gonna live in this thing once its done or what? And fuck all that asphalt shit, that looks like a major PITA.

It's to keep my stuff in. Overbuilding what? Did you see the OSB sheathing? :p This is code, i.e. minimum enough to last. My preference for wood framing is 2x6 on 24" centers with 1/2" CDX sheathing and let in bracing. Preferably with stucco exterior. Asphalt is cheap, and inexpensive, it just takes time to do right, I'm not paying anyone to work so I can take the time to detail it correctly.

Money spent on 1.4 complete walls, including insulation, door, windows, wiring: $300

looks like a lakehouse to me. if not, it's about what i'd do for a lakehouse.

and get your division 16 subs in there to fix that damn wiring.
What's a lakehouse? I'm going to do the wiring ^.^ and the plumbing... and the masonry, trim, siding, flooring, finish... :(

It's a weekend house at the lake, normally small and cheap as you're outside 90% of the time. :cool:
Ah, a cottage. This would be perfect for that, about 445 sq ft, 1 bed, 1 bath. Im also 1 mile from a lake :lol:

It's for him to bang those emo chicks in. His lair.

It's to keep my stuff in. Overbuilding what? Did you see the OSB sheathing? :p This is code, i.e. minimum enough to last. My preference for wood framing is 2x6 on 24" centers with 1/2" CDX sheathing and let in bracing. Preferably with stucco exterior. Asphalt is cheap, and inexpensive, it just takes time to do right, I'm not paying anyone to work so I can take the time to detail it correctly.

I never heard of using 2x6 on 24"s. Why?

It's for him to bang those emo chicks in. His lair.
Ya, its looking more and more like a rape shack.

I never heard of using 2x6 on 24"s. Why?
It is more common in places like Canada, WI, ME. You can put more insulation in the wall and use less actual wood overall. More efficient. 2x4 with 16" centers isnt based on any kind of engineering, when stick framing was invented lath for plaster was cut to 48", each piece of lath has to be nailed to three studs so it stays rigid, hence 48/3 = 16 OC.

we always draw 6" exterior walls. helps with insulation, and you can recess the windows for a better look. (although the recessed windows are a constant pain in the ass to detail) It also keeps you from having to redraw when you bump the ceiling height up to 14 feet or more.

It is more common in places like Canada, WI, ME. You can put more insulation in the wall and use less actual wood overall. More efficient. 2x4 with 16" centers isnt based on any kind of engineering, when stick framing was invented lath for plaster was cut to 48", each piece of lath has to be nailed to three studs so it stays rigid, hence 48/3 = 16 OC.

You northerners... :p

we always draw 6" exterior walls. helps with insulation, and you can recess the windows for a better look. (although the recessed windows are a constant pain in the ass to detail) It also keeps you from having to redraw when you bump the ceiling height up to 14 feet or more.
What do you do again?

You northerners... :p
Well, we also use full sheathing, down there they put plywood/OSB on the corners only. Why do you think so many houses blow down in hurricanes? :p

Last edited:
I don't know whether you intrigue me or terrify me.

This is like some Ted Kaczynski shit. Have you penned your manifesto?
See, you do tons of interesting stuff because it is interesting and people either think you're a genius or going to send letter bombs.

never seen that old style before. i've only ever seen the top version.

i'm a cadjockey at an architecture firm. what do you do?