WTF Conscientious Objector Josh Stieber on Being Wrong About the Military

OzSTEEZ

¡ɟɟo ʞɔnɟ ʇunɔ 'ᴉO
Nov 11, 2008
Oz
Marklar
₥25,442
http://www.slate.com/BLOGS/blogs/th...tieber-on-being-wrong-about-the-military.aspx

Great read. Too long to post.

What kind of reaction to that did you see on the ground? If you perceived the discrepancy between American rhetoric and American actions, I assume many Iraqis did, too.

Yes, absolutely. They had tried telling us nonviolently that they didn't want us in their neighborhood, and when that didn't work, they tried telling us violently, by using snipers and roadside bombs and that kind of thing. And once they started to get violent, we started to get violent, too. It went back and forth and each attack seemed to be more severe than the last one. Eventually the escalation led to a kind of desperation on the part of a lot of soldiers. There's really no way to defend yourself against a sniper shot or a roadside bomb, so some of our leaders felt that the only way we could defend ourselves was to intimidate the local population into preventing the violence in the first place. So our battalion commanders gave the order that every time a bomb went off, we were entitled to open fire on whoever was standing around.

The way I interpreted that was that we were told to out-terrorize the terrorists. That was really troubling for me; I found it wrong both morally and strategically. If that happened to me, that wouldn't make me more likely to help out whatever army was doing that; it would make me more likely to oppose them. I was in a couple of situations where I was ordered to do that and I refused that order. So that was when I was really forced to make a decision about what I stood for.

Jesus Fucking Christ..

1291786579966.jpg

entitled?

gtfo. this is a guy pimping his own message, not the reality.

I can't see anyone giving permission that way. It's really not an order the way Josh Beiber states it. .

"Men, if a bomb goes off, you're 'entitled' to shoot anyone you see."

Definition of ENTITLE
transitive verb
: to give a title to : designate
: to furnish with proper grounds for seeking or claiming something <this ticket entitles the bearer to free admission>

If a bomb goes off and you need to defend yourself, you have the right to defend yourself. But this guy using the word 'entitle' is just a cute way of magnifying his need to object, not military ops.

well at least he doesn't get to keep any of the benefits

oh well. he's wrong about a lot of the stuff he says

Last edited:
Alex, I'll take What Sells for $1000

Oh, amstel, this is the last daily double!!!

and the answer is:

What is. . . driving the US Media?

yesssss!

fireworks_gif.gif

it's from slate.com, wtf ever that is. it's not being reported by any "legitimate" news sources

Yeah course this is all bullshit because I don't believe it!

I'm not saying that I don't believe it but the fact that you choose to pick out that one line and "jesus fucking christ" it like it's something shocking or breaking or something that australians haven't done as well is just you being you. You just want to be a hateful individual.

boo fucking hoo. you don't deserve the high horse you're on.

I'm not saying that I don't believe it but the fact that you choose to pick out that one line and "jesus fucking christ" it like it's something shocking or breaking or something that australians haven't done as well is just you being you. You just want to be a hateful individual.

Horse? I thought more along the lines of a jackass

Yep, I totally said Australians haven't done this.. Don't be a fucking mindless moron. I just simply read a fucking article and was shocked at what I read in that particular paragraph. Now look at your hypocritical ass ranting on his high horse about me..

Yep, I totally said Australians haven't done this.. Don't be a fucking mindless moron. I just simply read a fucking article and was shocked at what I read in that particular paragraph. Now look at your hypocritical ass ranting on his high horse about me..

shocked? lolz.

like it's out of the ordinary for you?

:fly::fly::fly::fly::fly::fly::fly::fly::fly::fly:

come on. you bitch about the inadequate cracks in the sidewalks. . .