congrats to NYC

Update: No one reads my links, do they?

Trans fats have not been proven (conclusively) to have an adverse effect on obesity.

The reason they are being banned is due to the fact that they roughly double the risk of Coronary Heart Disease.

Since no one clicks links, here we go...

Coronary heart disease

The primary health risk identified for trans fat consumption is an elevated risk of coronary heart disease (CHD).[17] A comprehensive review of studies of trans fats was published in 2006 in the New England Journal of Medicine that concludes that there is a strong and reliable connection between trans fats and CHD.[3]

The major evidence for the effect of trans fat on CHD comes from the Nurses' Health Study (NHS) — a cohort study that has been following 120,000 female nurses since its inception in 1976.

Hu and colleagues analyzed data from 900 coronary events from the NHS population during 14 years of followup. He determined that a nurse's CHD risk roughly doubled (relative risk of 1.94) for each 2% increase in trans fat calories consumed (instead of carbohydrate calories). By contrast, it takes more than a 15% increase in saturated fat calories (instead of carbohydrate calories) to produce a similar increase in risk. Eating non-trans unsaturated fats instead of carbohydrates reduces the risk of CHD rather than increasing it.[18]

Hu also reports on the benefits of reducing trans fat consumption. Replacing 2% of food energy from trans fat with non-trans unsaturated fats more than halves the risk of CHD (53%). By comparison, replacing a larger 5% of food energy from saturated fat with non-trans unsatured fats reduces the risk of CHD by 43%.[18]

There are two accepted measures of risk for coronary heart disease, both blood tests. The first considers ratios of two types of cholesterol, the other the amount a cell-signalling cytokine called C-reactive protein. The ratio test is more accepted, while the cytokine test may be more powerful but is still being studied.[17] The effect of trans fat consumption has been documented on each as follows:

* Cholesterol ratio: This ratio compares the levels of LDL (so-called "bad" cholesterol) to HDL (so-called "good" cholesterol). Trans fat behaves like saturated fat by raising the level of LDL, but unlike saturated fat it has the additional effect of decreasing levels of HDL. The net increase in LDL/HDL ratio with trans fat is approximately double that due to saturated fat.[19] (Higher ratios are worse.)

* C-reactive protein (CRP): A study of over 700 nurses showed that those in the highest quartile of trans fat consumption had blood levels of CRP that was 73% higher than those in the lowest quartile.[20]

Another study considered deaths due to CHD, with consumption of trans fats being linked to an increase in mortality, and consumption of polyunsaturated fats being linked to a decrease in mortality.[17][21]

and

Other effects

There has been suggestion that the negative consequences of trans fat consumption go beyond the cardiovascular risk. In general, there is much less scientific consensus that eating trans fat specifically increases the risk of other chronic health problems:

* Cancer: There is no scientific consensus that consumption of trans fats significantly increase cancer risks across the board.[17] The American Cancer Society states that relationship between trans fats and cancer "has not been determined."[22] Although one recent study has found connections between trans fat and prostate cancer.[23]

* Diabetes: There is a growing concern that the risk of diabetes increases with trans fat consumption.[17] However, again consensus has not been reached.[3] For example, one study found that risk is higher for those in the highest quartile of trans fat consumption.[24] Another study has found no diabetes risk once other factors such as total fat intake and BMI were accounted for.[25]

* Obesity: Research with monkeys indicates that trans fat may increase weight gain and abdominal fat, despite a similar caloric intake [26]. A 6-year experiment revealed that monkeys fed a trans-fat diet gained 7.2% of their body weight, as compared to 1.8% for monkeys on the mono-unsaturated fat diet. Although obesity is frequently linked to trans fat in the popular media[27] this is generally in the context of eating too many calories; there is no scientific consensus connecting trans fat and obesity.

* Liver Dysfunction: Trans fats are metabolized differently by the liver than other fats and interfere with delta 6 desaturase. Delta 6 desaturase is an enzyme involved in converting essential fatty acids to arachidonic acid and prostaglandins, both of which are important to the functioning of cells[28].

I know, I'm just being silly by bringing this up. It's not like obesity has any better relation to Trans Fat than Bush, the war in Iraq, Oil and Big Tobacco. Yet somehow they all managed to wind up in this thread. :p

honestly that's the stupidest fucking argument coming from either end of the fence. it's equally as retarded coming from a liberal as from a conservative

why is it? if you have such a pissy attitude about the way the government is run then dont be here. I cant stand all of you people who cry about how the government is taking over and you dont do shit about it. If you hate the injustice so dam much then honestly, you can leave.

big business would sell you rat poison painted as a burger if they could get away with it...I can guarantee you no consumer ever said,"You know, this would be 10x better if it just had trans fats!!!" :fly:

Don't you think that the time and money spent banning trans fats could have been better spent?

Because this shit pisses me off. This is why I can't go home and smoke a fucking joint after work. This is why I can't carry my firearm if I decide to go into Chicago, one of the most crime ridden cities in the nation. This is why I can't buy a new car without a GPS tracking system that tells anyone with the capability of manipulating On-Star's service where I am. This is why I can't buy a violent video game without having to pull out my ID.

Yes I'm pitching a goddamn conniption because right now there are men and women in a shithole of a country putting their lives on the line for someone else's freedom, people being shot at by those with the attitudes that their narrow minded ideals should dictate the morality of others yet people in this fucking country are happy to sign away the very concepts of liberty to feel safer, to pass the blame onto someone else so they don't have to take some fucking responsibility for their own actions.

I am tired of these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane. :mad:
Is this about trans-fat still?

why is it? if you have such a pissy attitude about the way the government is run then dont be here. I cant stand all of you people who cry about how the government is taking over and you dont do shit about it. If you hate the injustice so dam much then honestly, you can leave.

Actually, you know... he's taking a stand and sharing his views with others with the intention of gathering support for his cause. This can be effective in our government since, given enough support, any cause can be championed. Shit, they banned trans fats in New York for crying out loud. :tard:

Typing on a forum is one thing, actually doing something about it and taking an action is something completely different. But most people who complain about this stuff wont ever do anything about it. All I am saying is that you have 3 choices that I see...

1. Do something to change it
2. Leave so you dont have to deal with it
3. Keep crying about it

Because the fact that you believe that's even a logical argument shows a gross lack of understanding of the core ideals of this country. When you see injustice you don't pussy out and fucking leave, you do your best to change it. :tard:

Typing on a forum is one thing, actually doing something about it and taking an action is something completely different. But most people who complain about this stuff wont ever do anything about it. All I am saying is that you have 3 choices that I see...

1. Do something to change it
2. Leave so you dont have to deal with it
3. Keep crying about it

Luckily for everyone, Flynavy doesn't live in New York.

Update: No one reads my links, do they?

Trans fats have not been proven (conclusively) to have an adverse effect on obesity.

The reason they are being banned is due to the fact that they roughly double the risk of Coronary Heart Disease.

Since no one clicks links, here we go...

and

I know, I'm just being silly by bringing this up. It's not like obesity has any better relation to Trans Fat than Bush, the war in Iraq, Oil and Big Tobacco. Yet somehow they all managed to wind up in this thread. :p

it says that the trans fat eating monkey was roughly 5% fatter then it concludes by saying it doesn't make you fat....doesn't make any sense :confused:

I dont see how you cannot think tobacco companies are not targeting youth, lol. Ask 10 little kids and they probably wouldnt have a clue what a Mai Tai is. Ask them what a strawberry is they will know. It is natural when your company makes a living off of killing people to start trying to find new users. The younger the user the more chance of getting them hooked, for life. You really dont think that tobacco companies frown upon having little kids smoke do you?

Just because someone uses strawberry flavoring doesn't mean they're targeting little kids. What else are they going to call a pack of strawberry flavored cigarettes? It's not a beverage with its own pronoun. It's a pack of smokes. So as opposed to calling it a "de Tocqueville" they called it something that says "Hey, this has a strawberry flavor" in order to avoid confusion.

"What the fuck's a de Tocqueville?"
"I don't know, but this shit tastes like strawberries."

As for killing its demographic, people have been smoking FOREVER. Before addictive chemicals, before any of that shit. What was hooking them then? Their enjoyment. I've smoked off an on for like 8 years. I just like the taste of it. After a good meal, go outside and polish off a smoke. Nothing like it. It's hard to describe to someone who doesn't do it or has never had one. And then I can go for 5 or 6 months without needing or caring about it, until I say "Shit, I'm gonna have a smoke" again. Not everyone who smokes is a mindless zombie dependent on obscure chemicals, and most people who smoke never die and never get any disease whatsoever. Fact.

And no, I don't think Big Tobacco cares if kids smoke, any more than Big Beer cares if they drink, or Big Auto cares if they drive. I just don't think they're being targeted.

Because the fact that you believe that's even a logical argument shows a gross lack of understanding of the core ideals of this country. When you see injustice you don't pussy out and fucking leave, you do your best to change it. :tard:

What are you actively doing to change it?

First of all trans fats do occur naturally though I understand they're currently used just to save money in preparation of processed foods. If I want to eat a fucking cheeseburger made with 90% trans fats that should be my right. I don't care if it has no nutritional value nor do I care what other people's reasons are for not liking it. My fucking choice.

The whole country is fat due to the collective laziness of America, not just the food. The strain on the health care system is due to insurance companies that we willingly patronize allowing diseases stemming from unhealthy diets to be covered.

The bottom line is that no one should have the authority to decide what goes into my body. Not a fucking soul.

Quit using the f word, it's making it hard for me to take you seriously. :heart:

Just because someone uses strawberry flavoring doesn't mean they're targeting little kids. What else are they going to call a pack of strawberry flavored cigarettes? It's not a beverage with its own pronoun. It's a pack of smokes. So as opposed to calling it a "de Tocqueville" they called it something that says "Hey, this has a strawberry flavor" in order to avoid confusion.

"What the fuck's a de Tocqueville?"
"I don't know, but this shit tastes like strawberries."

As for killing its demographic, people have been smoking FOREVER. Before addictive chemicals, before any of that shit. What was hooking them then? Their enjoyment. I've smoked off an on for like 8 years. I just like the taste of it. After a good meal, go outside and polish off a smoke. Nothing like it. It's hard to describe to someone who doesn't do it or has never had one. And then I can go for 5 or 6 months without needing or caring about it, until I say "Shit, I'm gonna have a smoke" again. Not everyone who smokes is a mindless zombie dependent on obscure chemicals, and most people who smoke never die and never get any disease whatsoever. Fact.

And no, I don't think Big Tobacco cares if kids smoke, any more than Big Beer cares if they drink, or Big Auto cares if they drive. I just don't think they're being targeted.

True, I started smoking really really young so I have a different opinion coming from first hand. I have tried and tried and tried to quit but I cant seem to make it without. I have a very addictive personality which is why I had to be careful "experimenting with drugs" as a kid.

it says that the trans fat eating monkey was roughly 5% fatter then it concludes by saying it doesn't make you fat....doesn't make any sense :confused:

The study was one among many, and the researchers have yet to obtain consensus as to what results mean what. Most physicians believe that it's the added calories in a high trans fat diet that causes obesity, not specifically the fat content.

No.

The study said that the trans fat mokey gained 7% of its body weight while the non trans fat monkey gained 2% of it's body weight... so in relation to human terms, in 6 years a 150 pound man would gain 16 pounds in 6 years as opposed to 3 pounds over 6 years... those 13 pounds don't make one obese, as the article was talking about obesity. Further it went on to say that obesity was more a result of caloric intake rather than trans fats.

The ONLY real health concern with trans fats is chronic heart disease, more specifically, CHD in WOMEN.

What are you actively doing to change it?

For starters I vote unlike so many other people that bitch. I've written and called my Senators and Representative on more than one occassion in the past couple years (Obama's office is staffed with fucking douchebags, btw). I don't see myself getting into politics but I do my best to explain my points of view and to get people to understand why liberty and personal responsibility are the only ways this country is going to sustain itself at the top of the food chain. I support organizations that actively fight for the protection of civil rights and civil liberties.