congrats to NYC

Ok, I still dont see what the big deal is. This product provides absolutely nothing to you, not even pleasure as some people get from cigarettes. It does not make you feel any different like alcohol does and it does not change the taste of your food. You basically dont care that it is trans fat you just dont want the government to stop it?

No they wouldn't because people would start dying and stop buying their food. A free market with minimal government interference is self regulating. Yes, the government has an obligation to protect us but not to keep us from getting fat. That's a gross overextension of its' authority.

I'm illustrating a point which you keep interpreting literally, dufus :fly:

the monkeys in the study earlier in the thread gained 5.5% more weight on a standard diet with trans fats involved...no gorging was involved there

You're acting like 5.5% is significant.

Say a monkey weighs 12 pounds... this means that he gained a whopping 0.66 pounds OVER 6 YEARS.

Even the study said that the weight gain was insignificant. Sure it's there but it's so small that it's pointless to consider.

Oh yeah and why I said conspiracy theory earlier is as you clearly pointed out that this is just the first step in their mass plan to steal our rights to eat red meat, haha. That sir is a conspiracy theory!

No they wouldn't because people would start dying and stop buying their food. A free market with minimal government interference is self regulating. Yes, the government has an obligation to protect us but not to keep us from getting fat. That's a gross overextension of its' authority.

Kinda like... omg the spinach has e.Coli... stop eating it

You're acting like 5.5% is significant.

Say a monkey weighs 12 pounds... this means that he gained a whopping 0.66 pounds OVER 6 YEARS.

Even the study said that the weight gain was insignificant. Sure it's there but it's so small that it's pointless to consider.

now consider that monkey's are likely 20x more active than your avg person...that 5.5% is probably more like 20%+ on avg on a human scale

Ok, I still dont see what the big deal is. This product provides absolutely nothing to you, not even pleasure as some people get from cigarettes. It does not make you feel any different like alcohol does and it does not change the taste of your food. You basically dont care that it is trans fat you just dont want the government to stop it?

It's cheap. The alternative is not as cheap. My convenience food is now going to cost more.

now consider that monkey's are likely 20x more active than your avg person...that 5.5% is probably more like 20%+ on avg on a human scale

WTF? 5.5% is 5.5%... you can't form an argument nor a position based on a guestimate of an imaginary number you pulled out of your ass! :fly: seriously now!

If you want to translate it in terms of humans... 5.5% weight gain in a 150 pound human is 8.25 pounds over 6 years, which is just over 1 pound a year.

This is not significant.

It's cheap. The alternative is not as cheap. My convenience food is now going to cost more.

We cut to many corners to get the worst possible food right now anyways. I mean the meat in Taco Bell comes in powder form :fly: . I would pay the extra couple bucks to get real food from a fast food restaurant. We have let them lower there standards to much and accept the half meat biproduct that comes from it. I am one of these people but that doesnt mean I wouldnt mind a change for the better.

cost is NOT a factor supposedly...try again
Switching to trans fat-free frying oil does not increase costs. The trans fat-free frying oils available today taste just as good and have fry lives just as long as partially hydrogenated oils. There is no justification for continuing to use partially hydrogenated oils. Period. If you are a restaurant owner or manager and you need information about obtaining trans fat-free oils, contact us.
http://www.bantransfats.com/

WTF? 5.5% is 5.5%... you can't form an argument nor a position based on a guestimate of an imaginary number you pulled out of your ass! :fly: seriously now!

If you want to translate it in terms of humans... 5.5% weight gain in a 150 pound human is 8.25 pounds over 6 years, which is just over 1 pound a year.

This is not significant.

monkeys are far more active than most humans...the study is incredibly skewed in that regard...AND they STILL gained 5.5% on avg

It provides nothing for me but for someone that enjoys eating fast food it provides them with cheaper foods. It does not matter what kind of pleasure one derives from it because pleasure is a completely 100% subjective ideal. If trans fats got you high you'd feel different about this?

No I don't care that it's trans fats, I care that the government is making decisions for me it has no authority over.

I'm illustrating a point which you keep interpreting literally, dufus :fly:
And I'm illustrating a point you keep missing. If people didn't want trans fats in their foods they wouldn't buy it. They know it's there, they know it's bad for them. They keep buying it. It's the same reason people keep shopping at WalMart and Sam's Club despite all the bitching about the Chinese economy and how they treat their workers. People don't give a damn about goods being made in China and the way WalMart workers are treated, they care more about saving three cents on toilet paper.

In a free market people vote with their wallets. The almighty dollar is what drives the marketplace and since trans fats are not inherently deadly there is no reason the government should step in. Again, you cannot demand that trans fats be banned because they're unhealthy while you gladly partake in something equally if not more unhealthy.

Oh yeah and why I said conspiracy theory earlier is as you clearly pointed out that this is just the first step in their mass plan to steal our rights to eat red meat, haha. That sir is a conspiracy theory!
No, it's not a conspiracy theory. The simple fact is that setting these type of precedents opens the door for things like that to happen. I'm not suggesting this is some grand scheme, I just don't want the option available to the government in the first place.
Kinda like... omg the spinach has e.Coli... stop eating it
The FDA's job is to stop that kind of stuff from getting to market in the first place. They failed. Their job is not to keep us from being fat.
I don't know if this is accurate since there is no source listed but if true it shows a clear benefit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat
Because partial hydrogenation of plant oils can replace animal fats, the resulting products can be consumed (barring other ingredient and preparation violations) by adherents to Kashrut (kosher) and Halal, as well as by adherents to vegetarianism in Buddhism, ahimsa in Jainism and Hinduism, veganism, and other forms of vegetarianism.

monkeys are far more active than most humans...the study is incredibly skewed in that regard...AND they STILL gained 5.5% on avg

It is skewed and makes no sense for them to test it on monkeys but there is no real way to know until tested on humans. Monkey Business, that term has been coined for a reason. If you jump around all over the place being over active and jumping all over things you could easily hear someone calling you a monkey. They are much more active than humans so it should not be comparable in a weight loss/gain study.

are you saying you think monkeys aren't more active than the avg human? I'm guessing it's by a large amount too

I'm saying you're making assumptions and baseless arguments. I'm not going to argue with you that way because we'll just end up pissing each other off and that's really stupid considering there is no factual basis to your allegation.

It is skewed and makes no sense for them to test it on monkeys but there is no real way to know until tested on humans. Monkey Business, that term has been coined for a reason. If you jump around all over the place being over active and jumping all over things you could easily hear someone calling you a monkey. They are much more active than humans so it should not be comparable in a weight loss/gain study.
Right, so we have no studies to show if trans fat does or does not make people fatter. If that's the case, why ban it?