Computer hardware help

If I get the celeron chip, this system won't take much juice at all. The case's stock price is more than the case I speced AND the PS AND shipping :(

it's not power level i was worried about but rather that the cheap psu's tend to have rails fail and they also tend to run way too hot. In fact, read the reviews about this case on newgrounds at your link...it seems to be a problem for some.

:wtf: too big or too expensive?

it supports standard atx and micro atx boards which you appear to be considering a standard atx board. it's not a huge case by any means...just a mid tower.

Whateva diva :p

Well, I wasn't going to say too much for fear that it would insult you, but that, too :fly:

But it is a bit big. I don't think it will fit in the place he has available now. It is a shorter bookshelf of sorts that the case resides in.

Well, I wasn't going to say too much for fear that it would insult you, but that, too :fly:

But it is a bit big. I don't think it will fit in the place he has available now. It is a shorter bookshelf of sorts that the case resides in.
I hope it has decent ventillation then.

Is it really cheaper to build your own machine versus just using Dell nowdays?

Dell sells machines built with refurbished shit parts when you shop the low end of the pricing scale. Usually someone who is just building an internet/email appliance Dell PCs works great for. A couple hundred dollars + the cost of a 2 or 3 year warranty to replace the parts that are sure to go bad and you're fine.

So if you are okay with all that, then yeah, Dell is fine. If not, building your own is the only solution I've found because the other retailers are just as bad as Dell IMO.

Actually I did the numbers, it's about $260 for me to rebuild with those parts, the cheapest Dell I can get is $400 shipped.

Cool, I was just curious as I don't really want to deal with putting my own machine together anymore. And, as much as I'd love to be able to make another small form factor pc, I just can't justify spending an extra 200ish to do so. Especially when Dell's prices seem alright.

I guess I'm just burned in that the last computer I built is now falling apart on me and all of the upgrade paths suck. Doesn't help that since I built mine things like PCI express and SATA have come out.

Cool, I was just curious as I don't really want to deal with putting my own machine together anymore. And, as much as I'd love to be able to make another small form factor pc, I just can't justify spending an extra 200ish to do so. Especially when Dell's prices seem alright.

I guess I'm just burned in that the last computer I built is now falling apart on me and all of the upgrade paths suck. Doesn't help that since I built mine things like PCI express and SATA have come out.

Haven't you had that thing for about 5 years now? I automatically assume that a computer is 100% depreciated after 5 years. Anything more than that is a bonus.

Actually I did the numbers, it's about $260 for me to rebuild with those parts, the cheapest Dell I can get is $400 shipped.

What is the size of the HD you are recycling? Cause that 400 dell looks decent to me. (I'm currently sitting on a 30 gig HD.)

Though yeah, like theac has pointed out, my computer is rather old at this point. Actually, I think it is on its 6th year. I can't really recycle my HD and the graphics card is about on par with what many built in cards can do. Other than all that... what is left to really try and keep?

What is the size of the HD you are recycling? Cause that 400 dell looks decent to me. (I'm currently sitting on a 30 gig HD.)

Though yeah, like theac has pointed out, my computer is rather old at this point. Actually, I think it is on its 6th year. I can't really recycle my HD and the graphics card is about on par with what many built in cards can do. Other than all that... what is left to really try and keep?

My desktop is 7 years old. This motherboard can recycle all of my parts but memory and chip, but this is for my friend, not me.

He has a 160 that he bought last year, so it is definitely worth saving.

One of the issues with new Dell's, however, is the fact some don't have any IDE support anymore. If they did, it's only one channel for the optical, but even that is going by the wayside.

And like I said, I can get him a running system for $260 compared to the Dell price of $400. It would be using his better video card than the onboard shit dell has and be able to upgrade easily.

My desktop is 7 years old. This motherboard can recycle all of my parts but memory and chip, but this is for my friend, not me.

One of the issues with new Dell's, however, is the fact some don't have any IDE support anymore. If they did, it's only one channel for the optical, but even that is going by the wayside.

And like I said, I can get him a running system for $260 compared to the Dell price of $400. It would be using his better video card than the onboard shit dell has and be able to upgrade easily.

Thats cool. Wish mine was more upgrade friendly. :)

Thats Intel's specs. The newest boards dont have PATA support period and its all SATA. The only thing that makes upgrading rather expensive now is memory. I need memory for around three units but its the most expensive part bar none right now.

You can get a SATA <-> IDE converter, if you really need it...

(This is KNYTE)

Thats Intel's specs. The newest boards dont have PATA support period and its all SATA. The only thing that makes upgrading rather expensive now is memory. I need memory for around three units but its the most expensive part bar none right now.

This board doesn't use Intel chipsets, so it has dual IDE channels. Still good for a little while longer :nev: