Food Community Supported Agriculture

We have one near us that I should visit/help with but on occasion I'll do their farmers market.

Sounds like a great idea though.

Does anyone here belong to a CSA or have you in the past? In my endeavors to avoid Monsanto and evil chemical death I'm considering doing this. Any advice? What do you all do to get healthier produce and meat?

We do it and we love it. Our reasons for going that route were probably the same as yours. We also have a milk man for all local milk, eggs, cheese, and yogurt. It's all hormone free etc.

I just joined one because a good friend of mine is the one growing the vegetables. That, and I'm starting to garden up at the cottage where the land is quite a bit better than here in the city.

Who here drinks soda?

I do. I know it is terrible for me, but I have not been able to kick the habit, and it's Coca-Cola that I drink. Most other soda comes with citric acid which I can't have. It's the only source of caffeine I can get that doesn't give me a migraine so there you have it. Coffee and tea are full of tannins which are a big no-no for me. At least I'm starting to buy the stuff with actual sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup when I can find it. Mostly I drink water though. About 80 oz a day.

Last edited:
There's a ton of farms around here that have a program. I'm having trouble picking one. Looks like they run around $30 a week or somewhere in between $500-$800 a season depending upon how long and what is included. Does that seem reasonable?

I do. I know it is terrible for me, but I have not been able to kick the habit, and it's Coca-Cola that I drink. Most other soda comes with citric acid which I can't have. It's the only source of caffeine I can get that doesn't give me a migraine so there you have it. Coffee and tea are full of tannins which are a big no-no for me. At least I'm starting to buy the stuff with actual sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup when I can find it. Mostly I drink water though. About 80 oz a day.
Most genetically modified crops are produced for specific purposes. Soybeans you get lysine, corn you get fructose, lot of that stuff goes into soft drinks. So there are your evil corporations...

Farmer's markets dont usually move enough produce to offset the price of gas for mid sized producers. You'd have to buy literally tons of vegetables... I assume that's sorta what this is, since I literally live next door to a produce farm and have never heard of "CSA"

Last edited:
we have an organic farmer who comes right to the loading docks under the building. it's like $10-15 for a huge rubber pail full of veggies. haven't done it since I don't cook.

There's a ton of farms around here that have a program. I'm having trouble picking one. Looks like they run around $30 a week or somewhere in between $500-$800 a season depending upon how long and what is included. Does that seem reasonable?

Depends, do you have the ability to grow a garden on your own property?

Depends, do you have the ability to grow a garden on your own property?

That's one thing I miss about Minnesota.

It's soil was magnificent for backyard gardening. I don't think I've seen a place that had such a rich, fluffy black soil anywhere since.