GAY Combo Breaker Spam Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a Paasche airbrush for the daughter for Christmas. I hope they haven't turned to suck since the last time I used one in the '90s.

Gonna have to figure out an adapter to get it hooked up to the big daddy compressor though, fuck buying one of those teeny little buggers for indoor use.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Bought a Paasche airbrush for the daughter for Christmas. I hope they haven't turned to suck since the last time I used one in the '90s.

Gonna have to figure out an adapter to get it hooked up to the big daddy compressor though, fuck buying one of those teeny little buggers for indoor use.

You, or anyone really, know about artsy fartsy supplies?

Waiting to hear back from Mom as far as who's contributing what but my oldest neice (9) got the artists blood in that bunch. She'll end up with real, artists grade, brushes, easel, canvas, etc. No more that are just kiddie toys.

I can barely draw a passable stick man and don't know what I'm looking at. Plenty of real art supply places here to get help at. Wonder if there's something specific I should look for, or steer clear of, or whatever.

Could she spray off a 5-10 gallon portable air tank? Cheap & light - she could fill it off the big guy and go paint wherever. Although, a small tankless is pretty cheap these days.

Waiting to hear back from Mom as far as who's contributing what but my oldest neice (9) got the artists blood in that bunch. She'll end up with real, artists grade, brushes, easel, canvas, etc. No more that are just kiddie toys.

I can barely draw a passable stick man and don't know what I'm looking at. Plenty of real art supply places here to get help at. Wonder if there's something specific I should look for, or steer clear of, or whatever.
Paint is paint. Brushes are so specific that you really should ask the artist what she'd prefer. My daughter's been through a bunch of different brushes but ultimately settled on some pretty cheap nylon brushes that she likes the best.

I shop at Michaels, which is a fairly well known chain craft store, but there's undoubtedly lots of boutique stores out there (I use one to buy her charcoal pencils).

Paint is paint. Brushes are so specific that you really should ask the artist what she'd prefer. My daughter's been through a bunch of different brushes but ultimately settled on some pretty cheap nylon brushes that she likes the best.

I shop at Michaels, which is a fairly well known chain craft store, but there's undoubtedly lots of boutique stores out there (I use one to buy her charcoal pencils).

Thx. We have Michaels here.

Maybe some different types to try that I can confirm are available locally up there might be best.

From my little experience with the art dept, it is worse than aftermarket performance car parts. Certain ones are crap, certain ones arent, and ones that are crap still can be useful for blah.

Just find a local art supply store that isnt a chain and go ask. At 9 years old I wouldn't get too locked into the idea of getting her any one type of anything. You might get her a set of acrylic paint and find she likes watercolors more. (Or whatever)

Once you and she are comfortable with what she likes, then use the big box store for savings

From my little experience with the art dept, it is worse than aftermarket performance car parts. Certain ones are crap, certain ones arent, and ones that are crap still can be useful for blah.

Just find a local art supply store that isnt a chain and go ask. At 9 years old I wouldn't get too locked into the idea of getting her any one type of anything. You might get her a set of acrylic paint and find she likes watercolors more. (Or whatever)
My daughter decided she wanted to try acrylic and has gotten hooked.

So, I got another set of acrylic colors for the airbrush. I'm pretty sure you can thin it out without using actual solvent (IIRC, water's appropriate for acrylic).

But yeah, it's as dumb as you say it is. I'm sure my brother in law will give me shit for buying Paasche instead of Iwata.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor

Once you and she are comfortable with what she likes, then use the big box store for savings

Thx.

That's what I was getting at. I know there's all kinda different bristle material, shape, stiffness, for different paints, etc. but can't recognize what's quality or not. What makes some kinda complete-ish set.

Dont forget to look for things that are going to be useful for a long period of time, and will help her (and her parents) enjoy her developing her art.
IE- if she doesn't have a dedicated space for everything, give her the paint in a storage bin thing, and "wrap" it in a drop cloth so she doesn't ruin the floor and piss off her parents when she inevitably spills something. For extra schmaltz, maybe give her an old, clean, work shirt of yours for a smock.

Mom was art teacher, oldest sister has master's in Art, daughter is full-time artist. Anyway. Easel is really only useful when standing up, and it has to be very adjustable. I snagged something like this 20 years ago for my daughter and she still uses it, despite having a big floorstand easel worth several hundred dollars. The glass top is nice because it doubles as a light-table, so you can do tracing on it. 1544125315505.png

https://express.google.com/u/0/prod...MuYFrv9RJ6f7BvkUBhPXzAWbUUQt-z14aAs1xEALw_wcB

Brushes and other media are difficult since you and she have no idea where she will go with it. Sometime areas have some nice art classes and for some kids that is better than supplies, since it gives them ideas and encouragement. You're a cool grandpa! Hey, I'm sending you a PM with a very cool art gift for kids.
Stores for better stuff? DIck-Blick dickblick.com

Thx.

That's what I was getting at. I know there's all kinda different bristle material, shape, stiffness, for different paints, etc. but can't recognize what's quality or not. What makes some kinda complete-ish set.
Starting to get out of my depth, so no real help here, but again that'll depend on what kind of paint she is using and her style.

When I started painting I watched like three episodes of Bob Ross (all acrylic paints) in a row and sketched out what the brushes looked like and approx sizes, then I went and wandered around a shop to find them. What the show didn't show was that some bristles are stiffer than others, so I probably should have gotten three sets of those, each at differing stiffnesses.

From that point I changed them up based on how I used them and what I didn't like about them.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer

Paint is not paint. There are definitely higher quality ones. They will give better coverage and last longer.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Starting to get out of my depth, so no real help here, but again that'll depend on what kind of paint she is using and her style.

When I started painting I watched like three episodes of Bob Ross (all acrylic paints) in a row and sketched out what the brushes looked like and approx sizes, then I went and wandered around a shop to find them. What the show didn't show was that some bristles are stiffer than others, so I probably should have gotten three sets of those, each at differing stiffnesses.

From that point I changed them up based on how I used them and what I didn't like about them.
ooh, Bob Ross' line of painting supplies is actually pretty boss.

I agree with finding a local store and go talk to someone. Tell them you need a beginner set of whatever but want decent quality. They could easily help put together a well rounded set of brushes or paints or whatever that will get her started.

Dont forget to look for things that are going to be useful for a long period of time, and will help her (and her parents) enjoy her developing her art.
IE- if she doesn't have a dedicated space for everything, give her the paint in a storage bin thing, and "wrap" it in a drop cloth so she doesn't ruin the floor and piss off her parents when she inevitably spills something. For extra schmaltz, maybe give her an old, clean, work shirt of yours for a smock.

Great idea.

I agree with finding a local store and go talk to someone. Tell them you need a beginner set of whatever but want decent quality. They could easily help put together a well rounded set of brushes or paints or whatever that will get her started.

That's what I'll end up doing. I'm just going in completely clueless so all this everybody is saying here really helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.