GAY Combo Breaker Spam Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
we didn't lose power, but my work was closed again today, which is cool bc the pickup truck they plow my road with didn't swing through until like 11am. we've both missed a bunch of work days recently bc of snow and ice where they WEREN'T closed since roads were better in town (thanks to actual weather differences as well as better cleanup efforts thx to higher population) and my bank account is hurting. I don't have enough for the mortgage unless I deplete the line of credit I was finally managing to get paid down & skip paying back loans and medical bills. i wish I had a marketable skill like some art something or other that I could run as a side hustle, but I can't art for shit :lol:
How is your speaking voice /reading aloud? There are lots of contracts for audio book readers, especially if you have decent recording equipment. The pay isn't bad at all.

• Gravy
Reactions: august
How is your speaking voice /reading aloud? There are lots of contracts for audio book readers, especially if you have decent recording equipment. The pay isn't bad at all.
hnghhhhhh I can speak clearly with good diction but I hate my own voice? but I think in the same way most people hate their own voice, not like above and beyond. I have a friend that does voice actor stuff, I might hit him up and see if he can point me in the right direction.

somewhere on the internet, from a long ago thread on the forum from whence many of us came, exists several recordings of me reading Smurf erotica :lol:

Huh... I don't think I ever ran across that.

At least with the mister being in a band there should be some decent audio equipment around
he doesn't record anything himself, so there's just a bevy of basses, a few guitars, and a couple of amps. the couple of solo things he's done has been done at a friend's house (one who has a little studio set up) or at an actual studio (like the last album & EP were recorded in FL w/ Roger from LTJ, and the one prior was done in Chicago w/ a dude who's worked with, like, Alkaline Trio and shit.

hnghhhhhh I can speak clearly with good diction but I hate my own voice? but I think in the same way most people hate their own voice, not like above and beyond. I have a friend that does voice actor stuff, I might hit him up and see if he can point me in the right direction.

somewhere on the internet, from a long ago thread on the forum from whence many of us came, exists several recordings of me reading Smurf erotica :lol:

Have you heard your own voice recorded and played back enough to get over the hating it part? Because that's completely normal. We hear our own voice through the bones in our skull more than through the air and in the ear. We don't sound like this to anyone else. Takes some getting used to.

All you'd need for speaking is a quality mic, pop filter, and a place that doesn't echo, like your closet hung full of clothes. Could rent the mic to get started.

Have you heard your own voice recorded and played back enough to get over the hating it part? Because that's completely normal. We hear our own voice through the bones in our skull more than through the air and in the ear. We don't sound like this to anyone else. Takes some getting used to.

All you'd need for speaking is a quality mic, pop filter, and a place that doesn't echo, like your closet hung full of clothes. Could rent the mic to get started.
Hell, even the ol' standby SM57 or 58 for $100 would do the necessary for reasonable diction and clarity.

I dug through my crap the last time somebody wanted to try this and couldn't find any of my old gear, otherwise I'd offer one up for free :/

Hell, even the ol' standby SM57 or 58 for $100 would do the necessary for reasonable diction and clarity.

I dug through my crap the last time somebody wanted to try this and couldn't find any of my old gear, otherwise I'd offer one up for free :/

Would work, yes. I don't know what a producer of audio books would want as a source. Those and any live performance mic won't have the "hear a pin drop from across the room" clarity a good studio mic does. They also all have some proximity effect.

When I think pro recording I think something like an RE20, which is why I said rent. :)

Maybe just a single, dry reading voice doesn't need to go that far, idk. Fix it in post.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots and august
he doesn't record anything himself, so there's just a bevy of basses, a few guitars, and a couple of amps. the couple of solo things he's done has been done at a friend's house (one who has a little studio set up) or at an actual studio (like the last album & EP were recorded in FL w/ Roger from LTJ, and the one prior was done in Chicago w/ a dude who's worked with, like, Alkaline Trio and shit.
Zoom H1n, around $110. Even comes with a small stand. Really quite decent and 20+ hours on one AA. Have one - great little unit.
1550071109369.png

Would work, yes. I don't know what a producer of audio books would want as a source. Those and any live performance mic won't have the "hear a pin drop from across the room" clarity a good studio mic does. They also all have some proximity effect.

When I think pro recording I think something like an RE20, which is why I said rent. :)

Maybe just a single, dry reading voice doesn't need to go that far, idk. Fix it in post.
When I was working in the industry, I hated RE20s for vocals. So many guys who want to be the deep-voiced movie trailer guy use them in radio and then you lose all their diction to the ultimate MANLY DEEP BASS TONE.

I used 'em to mic bass drums.

An SM58 is perfectly serviceable for close-in vocal work. It's an underrated workhorse, IMO. Plus, you can drop them in mud, shit, and water, and they'll still work fine.

When I was working in the industry, I hated RE20s for vocals. So many guys who want to be the deep-voiced movie trailer guy use them in radio and then you lose all their diction to the ultimate MANLY DEEP BASS TONE.

I used 'em to mic bass drums.

An SM58 is perfectly serviceable for close-in vocal work. It's an underrated workhorse, IMO. Plus, you can drop them in mud, shit, and water, and they'll still work fine.

All I have is 57"s and 58's for all those reasons. If whoever does audio books is cool with that, can pick one up used for $60-$70. It'll last as long as you do.

Just any vocal work I've done or seen in studios is high end mics that cost 10 or 20 times that.

All I have is 57"s and 58's for all those reasons. If whoever does audio books is cool with that, can pick one up used for $60-$70. It'll last as long as you do.

Just any vocal work I've done or seen in studios is high end mics that cost 10 or 20 times that.
Yeah, for stuff where I absolutely had to have fidelity above all else, I'd use a Rode NT2 or an AKG C414-TL II.

in fact, the 414 is one of my favorite mics of all time.

I used it a ton in bi-polar pattern with an SM-58 above it off axis 90° (the 58 would be facing the source, the 414 would be facing sideways).

Then in post, I'd take the signal from the 414, double it, pan the two signals full right and full left, then invert (essentially reversing the phase) the left side, and it would give a lovely live room sound in stereo with great rear-rejection.

My go-to microphone is a Shure Beta sm58. My best friend uses a Daw called Cubase, and usually just a MacBook. Hits the cables in the interphase the cost money these days. You can just use GarageBand with the right daw and you're all set.
What's the beta's advantage over the vanilla?

Status
Not open for further replies.