College Football Week

Grothe a Heisman candidate...from sptimes.com

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/09/grothe-showing.html

Grothe showing up on Heisman lists

About two weeks ago, I was talking to someone about what it would take for Matt Grothe to be discussed on a national level as being in the Heisman conversation. I said two things: First, that USF would have to remain undefeated to move up in the national polls, and that Grothe would have to outduel Kansas' Todd Reesing in a high-profile game like Friday's was.

Sure enough, fresh off his second straight 300-yard, multi-touchdown game, Grothe made the cut for SI.com's Heisman Watch, checking in at No. 10 and bumping West Virginia's Pat White off the list. Despite Florida's Tim Tebow winning last year, I think for someone like Grothe or White to be truly in the mix, they have to play the "best player on the best team" type card -- if USF takes a loss, Grothe loses a big chunk of his reasonable Heisman hopes. One blogger has Grothe as one of five dark horses for the award...

SI: Grothe at #10

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/gene_menez/09/15/heisman.watch/index.html

10. Matt Grothe, South Florida, QB, Jr.

Last week: 32-of-45 passing, 338 yards, 2 TDs; 11 rushes, 30 yards, 1 TD in a 37-34 victory over No. 13 Kansas.
Season: 61-of-93 passing, 780 yards, 7 TDs, 2 INTs; 35 rushes, 103 yards, 1 TD.
Heisman-o-meter: After leading the Bulls to a victory over a ranked team in the week's best game, Grothe replaces another dual-threat quarterback from the Big East, Pat White, in the No. 10 spot, just ahead of USC's Joe McKnight and Georgia's Moreno. Grothe has always had the ability to make plays with his feet, but this season he has become more efficient as a passer (entering the year he had thrown 29 career touchdowns against 28 interceptions) and, against Kansas, avoided the costly pick, something his counterpart and fellow Heisman candidate, Todd Reesing, couldn't do.
Up next: Saturday at Florida International.

Keep you your hopes man but Grothe and the Bulls will fold. They squeaked by Kansas but once they actually play real teams they are done. Until USF gets into the SEC or better conference they don't stand a chance. Look at Kevin Smith from UCF last year (granted the Big East is better that Conference USA). He was the leading NCAA rusher and almost broke Barry Sanders all-time rushing record but didn't even get a blink at the Heisman. If you want to be a true contender you have to be at a top notch school. I call Tebow for the repeat.

Coqui said:
It's not Tressel. It's Jim Heacock (Defensive Coordinater), and Jim Bollman (Offensive line coach) that need to be fired. Our defense back in 2002 was coached by Mark D'Antonio (hence why we were so good defensively - and why I'm afraid of Michigan State now)

Our offensive line has the talent but they just can't seem to stop anyone from getting to the QB.

Why doesn't Tressel fire them?