Coldplay

ZRH

(retired?) Google-F.U.
Mar 5, 2005
<3
Marklar
₥20,400
Being the record collector I am (ok I only collect brit-pop but still). I just bought Coldplay's 'Speed of Sound' single (from X&Y). Not the greatest stuff ever but Coldplay b-sides are worth good money (Blue Room EP goes for $200 on average).

Pop it into mah CD drive which was purchased specfically for its ability to copy CDs and got to test and copy in EAC. ERRORS, tons of them, ok must be copy protection. First thing to do is see if it covertly installed any software on my computer... Nope. Open a DAE program to check the integrity of the disc; 50% of the audio sectors are 'damaged'. :angst:

Apparently a rather new one because I've had no trouble copying errorouneous discs in the past. Im still sitting here ripping the first track at 0.03x and getting synch errors.

Strangely their second single (Fix You) isnt copy protected and ripped fine.

So fuck EMI and fuck Coldplay.

Most of all any suggestions other than buying a newer drive and trying again? How do you feel about EMI (they did this with the new Foo Fighters album too, well the european pressing anyway)?

riaa.jpg

I've seen that and always wondered... It's the pirates that get the chicks, everyone knows this.

April23 said:
Coldplay is the lose after that last album. :hs:
Aye, they sound so worn out anymore. My favourite song is probably 'Bigger Stronger' and they wrote it in 2000 ^__^

1. play it through your digital out on your soundcard and record via the digital in.

2. rip it from a mac or linux computer

3. if you can tell me what scheme the disc uses, i can tell you how to circumvent it.

Edit: just saw that coldplay is on sony. its probably sunncomm protection. if you already tried to rip it, its already installed on your machine. you'll have to find it, uninstall it, the turn off auto-run in your cd settings. if you can't figure that out, use cdex http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

usually it will ignore sunncomm protection. however, that crap will still be on your machine so you may have problems ripping future discs.

Last edited:
Sarcasmo said:
Think of theac as the Smuggler King, on a quest to subvert the empire.
I hate retard mp3 theives who give fair use a bad name. I hate fucking copy protection on cds more. It doesnt comply to red book standards. Therefore it is a defective CD. Utter nonsense.

theacoustician said:
1. play it through your digital out on your soundcard and record via the digital in.

2. rip it from a mac or linux computer

3. if you can tell me what scheme the disc uses, i can tell you how to circumvent it.

Edit: just saw that coldplay is on sony. its probably sunncomm protection. if you already tried to rip it, its already installed on your machine. you'll have to find it, uninstall it, the turn off auto-run in your cd settings. if you can't figure that out, use cdex http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

usually it will ignore sunncomm protection. however, that crap will still be on your machine so you may have problems ripping future discs.

It's cactus 200. I dont have any software on my computing.

1. Manually detect the TOC
2. Rip it in burst mode
3. Rip it at the slowest speed possible
4. Turn off all error correction (C2, secure mode). This includes hardware based correction (Plextor).

Problem with cactus is that it isn't so much copy protection as its making your music into swiss cheese. It puts holes in songs to intentionally make ripping hard. You don't hear them because interpolation is usually good enough to cover them. Like I said, if you can't get it on EAC, try CDex or dbpoweramp.

theacoustician said:
2. Rip it in burst mode
4. Turn off all error correction (C2, secure mode). This includes hardware based correction (Plextor).

Problem with cactus is that it isn't so much copy protection as its making your music into swiss cheese. It puts holes in songs to intentionally make ripping hard. You don't hear them because interpolation is usually good enough to cover them. Like I said, if you can't get it on EAC, try CDex or dbpoweramp.
ownage :cool:

theacoustician said:
2. Rip it in burst mode

Well done. I already did that (duh). Should've mentioned I need a secure rip.

Finally off the phone.

What I mean is I can rip it in burst mode but I need a secure test and copy, copy. The problem is that the music looks like this. :(

fuckeddammit.jpg

(yes I realize I shouldve saved it .gif)

You have very good advice though and it is appreciated. Although I already know most of it. :heart:

DONT BUY EMI :mad:

FlamingGlory said:
Well done. I already did that (duh). Should've mentioned I need a secure rip.
If you need a secure rip and the marker trick didn't work, then you're going to end up with pops and clicks. The pops are there in the music on that disc, period. There is no unmolested track there to rip securely. You're going to have to depend on trickery to get that which you desire. That's why you're writing your own TOC and turning off error correction so you can let interpolation do its thang. If you have Sound Forge with the Noise Reduction package, you can try running declick/depop filter to remove the crap if you can complete a secure rip, but even that is interpolation.

Depending on you soundcard, the digital loopback trick should work as well, but once again, that's an interpolated result.

theacoustician said:
If you need a secure rip and the marker trick didn't work, then you're going to end up with pops and clicks. The pops are there in the music on that disc, period. There is no unmolested track there to rip securely. You're going to have to depend on trickery to get that which you desire. That's why you're writing your own TOC and turning off error correction so you can let interpolation do its thang. If you have Sound Forge with the Noise Reduction package, you can try running declick/depop filter to remove the crap if you can complete a secure rip, but even that is interpolation.

Depending on you soundcard, the digital loopback trick should work as well, but once again, that's an interpolated result.
Interesting. Either way I've ripped it 20 times with no two rips being the same bitwise. I mean, it sounds fine but eh. I'm guessing it's pretty much impossible with what I have on hand to create an exact duplicate. It's like when you get a bad pressing or a disc with a label side scratch.

FlamingGlory said:
Interesting. Either way I've ripped it 20 times with no two rips being the same bitwise. I mean, it sounds fine but eh. I'm guessing it's pretty much impossible with what I have on hand to create an exact duplicate. It's like when you get a bad pressing or a disc with a label side scratch.
I can explain exactly how it works if you want. Perhaps you can come up with some fiendishly clever thing that I've overlooked. The problem with cactus 200 and 300 is there's a set of measures that could be in place, not just one. These are up to the manufacturer to decide which they want to set and which they don't. Depending on the combo of features enabled is sets how you need to proceed with ripping the disc. I've got one more idea for you to try based on your results if you're interested.

The thing I don't get is why the hell there's such a strong protection scheme on a single.