Coax Cable

HydroSqueegee

Flaccid Member
Nov 15, 2004
Marklar
₥0
my house is literally a cluster fuck of cable. It runs along the basement ceiling in a few dozen different directions and god knows where most of it ends up. (even the cable guy ran a new line outside for my internets because the signal was so horrible). I need to rip it all out and run new lines just for the fact it will be impossible to hang drywall with the cables in their current location. So... i need to know which kind to get. A decent brand that isnt too expensive as well as splitters.

HEP! HEP!

Got to the local home center and pick up a pull-box or spool of RG-6 coax.

Then get those nice compression fittings and the tool to crimp them on. Also get the coax stripper tool, it's worth it.

Then get whatever splitters they have there that are rated for 1ghz.

Got to the local home center and pick up a pull-box or spool of RG-6 coax.

Then get those nice compression fittings and the tool to crimp them on. Also get the coax stripper tool, it's worth it.

Then get whatever splitters they have there that are rated for 1ghz.

Then take over the FCC and launch Rebel Radio!!!

Viva la Revolucion!

You want quad-shielded RG-6. You'll need powered distribution amps rated from 1-42 MHz bi-directional with overall headroom to 1GHz. That for digital cable with PPV and other interactive shit. If you want DirecTV or Dish, the newer MPEG4 service requires a multiswitch rated from 950 - 2150 MHz. Do not use any passive splitters in your system, regardless of your service type. Unless you're really into this kind of stuff, I'd suggest paying the cable company to do it for you.

You want quad-shielded RG-6. You'll need powered distribution amps rated from 1-42 MHz bi-directional with overall headroom to 1GHz. That for digital cable with PPV and other interactive shit. If you want DirecTV or Dish, the newer MPEG4 service requires a multiswitch rated from 950 - 2150 MHz. Do not use any passive splitters in your system, regardless of your service type. Unless you're really into this kind of stuff, I'd suggest paying the cable company to do it for you.

Passive splitters are perfectly fine when enough signal is present.
Too much signal is just as bad as too little.

Quad shield is is kind of overkill as well.

Who cares about a multiswitch? If he orders a dish provider they give you one, plus cabling too.

Passive splitters are perfectly fine when enough signal is present.
Too much signal is just as bad as too little.

Quad shield is is kind of overkill as well.

Who cares about a multiswitch? If he orders a dish provider they give you one, plus cabling too.

All your answers are incorrect in the land of digital. You could say "Well I don't care about digital cable" and that's nice ... until Dec. 31, 2008. Most cable companies will make the jump along with OTA to all digital lineup. They can offer more services and higher speed internet with all the bandwidth analog cable hogs up. So you can bet they want you off analog, ASAP.

If you order Dish/DirecTV, half the monkeys that install it do a terrible job. Unless you've got a lead on a decent installer in your area, you need to do it yourself. Even the good ones may not be up to speed on MPEG4 requirements unless you're in a major market. You'd be surprised how much of a difference a upgraded multi-switch makes to your SNR and signal lock.

Last edited:
All your answers are incorrect in the land of digital. You could say "Well I don't care about digital cable" and that's nice ... until Dec. 31, 2008. Most cable companies will make the jump along with OTA to all digital lineup. They can offer more services and higher speed internet with all the bandwidth analog cable hogs up. So you can bet they want you off analog, ASAP.

If you order Dish/DirecTV, half the monkeys that install it do a terrible job. Unless you've got a lead on a decent installer in your area, you need to do it yourself. Even the good ones may not be up to speed on MPEG4 requirements unless you're in a major market. You'd be surprised how much of a difference a upgraded multi-switch makes to your SNR and signal lock.

Um, no, they're not. You're making things far too complicated, digital or otherwise.

Don't worry, some 2's wont creep into that digital signal if you use RG-6 and a passive splitter if sufficient signal is present. And whether it's digtal or analog, too much signal is just as bad as too little, thats why you dont just throw signal amps in everywhere.

Last edited:
Um, no, they're not. You're making things far too complicated, digital or otherwise.

Don't worry, some 2's wont creep into that digital signal if you use RG-6 and a passive splitter if sufficient signal is present. And whether it's digtal or analog, too much signal is just as bad as too little, thats why you dont just throw signal amps in everywhere.

You don't throw signal amps in everywhere. You use a star topology to branch out all service from the demark line. You can adjust peaking at the amp, if that's your problem, but you can't magically throw 3-10 dB worth of signal back onto the line for every passive split and I've yet to see a passive split that works for bi-directional applications.