CO2 "The Truth" and an Ice age

Can you explain the "less life" part? Specifically, can you post a link to a crazy right-wing site that has some statistics on it?

:lol:

We have some cool solar stuff in our house, we have some cute solar lamps (that I've now noticed are sold on thinkgeek) that are brilliant and have a surprising amount of light. We went to sleep last night with one on and it was still just as bright when I woke up this morning. We also have a solar DAB radio which is cool beans, we leave it next to our window and it's never not fully charged. We're looking into getting some kind of solar panel that charges phones, nintendo DS, laptops etc. but I'm not sure about how great it would be because my laptop has to always be plugged in.

Yeah, I leave those kind of details to my boyfriend. He's the one who can work that kinda thing out and make an educated decision, I don't do maths. And that book looks like well dry reading, the problem with solar panels that most people omit to mention is the energy used to create a solar panel is huge and takes over 20 years for them to reap back. I don't see how that's a great use of resources compared to wind/water.

I mentioned the materials in solar panels to you the other week, along with the 20 years thing :lol: When you were talking about spain and someone who had a van covered with them. They also get less effective with age.

Most informative things are super dry :p I was just reading about mechanical engineering and fell asleep with the book on my face and i woke up thinking I was suffocating :(

The interesting stuff, is like solar water heaters. Because it's just black paint and pipes on your roof.

I dunno what a U value is o_O I would show you my fine homebuilding/jlc issues if I could. They always have little articles about the people who build a study a in corn silo/dirt hut/out of firewood etc.That they can heat with a hair dryer.

There is a sort of building that uses just dirt btw:

Rammed_earth_wall_-_Eden_Project.jpg

Wanted to try it out for like a shed or something first. Just packed dirt.

I like that crazy guy in Nevada or wherever he is that makes houses out of bottles etc. and they're very heat efficient etc. The did a documentary on him and his building techniques, after the Tsunami in 05 he went to the Andaman Islands and taught the people how to rebuild from the waste and they were well happy with it.

Oh yeah, and here's the nice little house I want to buy: http://www.ecohab.co.uk/

How cute and wallace and gromit is that? Totally self sufficient too.

They are tiny, though. Where would you put all your stuff?

Sod homes that the pioneers in the great plains (in the US) use to build were extremely efficient and green.

I think government should be giving money/tax credits to builders and purchasers who use renewable resources. There is no reason to be still using traditional lumber in home building. Engineered lumber made with ash/poplar/bamboo is better in every way than lumber. Modular homes are stronger than stick build homes (traditional construction) and should be encouraged as well.

They are tiny, though. Where would you put all your stuff?

Sod homes that the pioneers in the great plains (in the US) use to build were extremely efficient and green.

I think government should be giving money/tax credits to builders and purchasers who use renewable resources. There is no reason to be still using traditional lumber in home building. Engineered lumber made with ash/poplar/bamboo is better in every way than lumber. Modular homes are stronger than stick build homes (traditional construction) and should be encouraged as well.

It does look small, but you can connect more of them and the 3 storey 8m one looks very promising. And I think the self sufficiency necessitates it's size really. The only thing that worries me is the size but when you consider you could build little sheds etc. on the land you do have, 6m is nothing for a house so you'd have tons of land to grow your veg on, raise animals etc. That plus the price and not having to pay energy bills etc. is a huge bonus really.

Seriously, building a green house from scratch is very costly, we have a brilliant program here called Grand Designs and the more green houses that people are building can cost like well in excess of 500k.

Yeah, building green is expensive, but mostly because there isn't enough sales volume to make it affordable. That is why government has to use a carrot/stick approach to converting the entire system. Of course, the logging industry is very powerful and will not allow anything like that to happen.

Cool, but it seems that fire would be a very serious issue. I always wanted a tree house. That would be cool. I love trees

Lets get a ton of money and build a super giant, super efficeint house with broken watches

Makes sense. I saw an article that said that cellulose insulation (sprayed newspaper) is better that fiberglass