c'mon, take the challenge

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
so tonight on our way home from out of town, we stopped at a subway to eat. it was in a small town, and there was only one little lady in front of us. she had no teeth and stained, white sweatpants, but she looked so sweet, gave us the biggest smile, and complimented my daughter's curls. now spange and i have been doing little random acts of kindness here and there, and tonight i felt was one of those nights. right as the woman was going to ring her up, i interrupted to tell her i wanted to pick up her check. they both were surprised, but the little old lady looked shocked and just kind of stood there with her bag, not really knowing what had just happened. she thanked us and kind of scooted out the door, a little stumped. (i love that part.) it felt SO good, especially since these little things are something that our whole family just LOVES to do...

and it's so easy. and it's contagious. and most of us on here can afford to do something little like that here and there. i'm sure many of you do this kind of stuff anyway. but this is my challenge:

tomorrow, this monday, i challenge whomever reads this to do a random act of kindness. somewhere, somehow...pick up someone's tab for breakfast if you stop for coffee or bagels. give a box of granola bars to a bum. donate to a charity in someone else's honor. give some money to the grocery tab behind you. if you don't have a habit of holding doors for others, do it...for a long line of people. pay the toll for the car behind you. compliment the subway's smile, or her patience. bring an extra coupon to a restaurant and hand it to the people in the booth behind you. put some money on the gas pump for the next person. there are handfuls of opportunities every single day to just be NICE to someone, and it's amazing how many you can grab if your eyes are open to it. i'd love to have one day where we can all come back with one little act we've performed that has put a surprised, appreciative smile on some stranger's face.
when someone thanks us for our little deed, we like to tell them to thank us by paying it forward...maybe this lady will remember the feeling and pass it on to someone else sometime. i know it's a tiny thing, but i wholeheartedly believe if you can do it to someone, that they will too...and so it goes. it's not going to change the world, but a dart of unexpected kindness from a stranger

and please come back to this thread and share your story...what did you do, to whom did you do it to, and how you chose the person you did. i never look for anyone specific...it's just a feeling that happens...and of course i love to help someone who might appear a little less fortunate. however, you never know anyone's circumstances, and surprising a man in a business suit can have the same effect as a toothless lady in grubby sweats.

i'm sure it sounds nutty and sappy, but hey. it's still a challenge for you. and i triple dog dare you to take it on. :D

My act of kindness tomorrow will be dicing potatoes, shredding cabbage, finding greens, making cornbread and entertaining four older ladies while they return the entertaining favor to me. Then we're putting our clothes back on and going to see some bluegrass bands.

aaaaah pinellas

A few days ago a guy asked me for some change when I was leaving the 7-11, by my house, so I gave him a few dollars and a beer out of the 12 pack I just bought. He was very polite and i believed he needed a hand. He tried to not accept the beer at first but I said take it and be nice to someone else. My wife does things like that all the time and it rubs off on me sometimes. During winter she sometimes goes to goodwill and buys a few cheap coats and jackets and puts them in her trunk in case she sees someone in need. I worry about her running into someone dangerous but there is no stopping her. Her heart is bigger than her brain.

i walked out of the bar tonight to get some fresh air. a bum walked by and asked for money. i gave him the four bucks that was in my wallet, since this chick who lives next door was buying my drinks for the night.

Well, I met 3 people this morning before coming in to work who deserved to die horrible violent deaths. I did not kill them. Does this count?

Well, I met 3 people this morning before coming in to work who deserved to die horrible violent deaths. I did not kill them. Does this count?

It should.

I probably won't be leaving my home today-not if I can help it, anyway-but if I do I'll see if I can find the kindness in my heart somewhere for this...it has to be there, deep, deeeeeeep down, right? :p

So, your saying it would be a good deed to usher them on their way to meet baby Jesus?

Damnit, I so missed my opportunity!

i sawed a bunch of timber with my landlord and gave him my safety goggles

then i let him out of the gates with my buzzer

i let the dog out to pee this morning.

i came to work.

i offered to get my copY out of the way this morning by going in front of someone who had several things to copy. i'm sure they felt better at not making me wait.

i made my own breakfast and let wife sleep.

I signed off on a 10K radio ad campaign for Wild 98 to work with us on Sundays at Gators. someone just made a nice commission.

i mailed off the colonoscopy paperwork. now some nice receptionist can scratch my paperwork off her list. (one week away btw)

I quoted someone a price on their wedding today. i offered a 10% discount bec they were a friend of a friend.

holla.