Classification of music.......

BigDov

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
close to Seattle
Marklar
₥0
Lately I've really been enjoying a few different bands, some that I'd call techno, trance or house. Can some of you down-south DJ types help me out with what this stuff really is? It's important with regard to properly classifying them in my mp3 collection :)

VNV Nation
Apollo 440
Juno Reactor
Fischerspooner

And the one that I still can't really put a finger on any more is Nine Inch Nails- are they truly as Industrial as they supposedly used to be, or are they simply Rock now? Or played out?

NIN was industrial-ish but their music has stayed the same while the genre has evolved putting them further away from the current definition

The only way I can describe NIN's last album is 'fucking crap'. It might have been great 10 or 15 years ago.

Fischerspooner is tough to categorize for me. I like them too, and gave up on pinning a genre to them. Juno Reactor is trance sometimes and a sort of ambient techno or pop techno other times. They've got a pretty good range. Apollo 440 is pretty ambient and have a lot of rock-inspired riffs. What would be a good word for that - rocktronica? VNV Nation is definitely trance/synthpop.

Last edited:
The only way I can describe NIN's last album is 'fucking crap'.

Fischerspooner is tough to categorize for me. I like them too, and gave up on pinning a genre to them. Juno Reactor is trance sometimes and a sort of ambient techno or pop techno other times. They've got a pretty good range. Apollo 440 is pretty ambient and have a lot of rock-inspired riffs. What would be a good word for that - rocktronica? VNV Nation is definitely trance/synthpop.

I liked "The Hand That Feeds".

Victory Not Vengence is more of a Industrial style of music IMO

Its got the depth and sound of Trance but its more of an Industrial Vocal Trance, I guess you could say

Really in its own Genre

Meh - I guess it would just be Vocal Trance

Last edited: