Clam Poop

all that explains why when I ate mussles once they were all gritty. someone didn't clean them out properly.

oh dear i ate mussel poop. :barf:

mussels are usually boiled and they open up in the midst of it so that should do a decent job of cleaning them out

maid-1.jpg

HI ONNOTANGU!!!! ^_____________^
BlackRage.gif

mussels are usually boiled and they open up in the midst of it so that should do a decent job of cleaning them out

Boiled? Yech.... you want to sautee them.

I must've killed a couple thousand mussels when I worked in a kitchen. You start by rinsing them thoroughly. Then you "de-beard them." This is a euphemism for tearing off some vital organ they stick out through their shell-- probably to eat or breathe. Maybe both. They'll shut after doing this. If they don't then they're already dead and you don't want to use them.

Then you toss them in your sautee pan. They'll open up as they cook (read: die) and impart a lot of wonderful flavor to the cooking medium.

It takes a lot of cruelty to make good shellfish.

Indeed. Like dropping live lobsters into a pot to steam them. Or stabbing them through the eye, or cutting them in half whilst still alive.

Yeah.... I eventually refused to prepare soft crab, which is a blue crab that has recently molted. You slice its "face" off, dust it in flour, and pan fry the fucker. You have to do that because the eyes and mouth parts aren't soft, it seems.

Boiled? Yech.... you want to sautee them.

I must've killed a couple thousand mussels when I worked in a kitchen. You start by rinsing them thoroughly. Then you "de-beard them." This is a euphemism for tearing off some vital organ they stick out through their shell-- probably to eat or breathe. Maybe both. They'll shut after doing this. If they don't then they're already dead and you don't want to use them.

Then you toss them in your sautee pan. They'll open up as they cook (read: die) and impart a lot of wonderful flavor to the cooking medium.

It takes a lot of cruelty to make good shellfish.

maybe they're steamed or sauteed whenever I've gotten them...I'm no chef

Yeah.... I eventually refused to prepare soft crab, which is a blue crab that has recently molted. You slice its "face" off, dust it in flour, and pan fry the fucker. You have to do that because the eyes and mouth parts aren't soft, it seems.

:lol: