Civilization IV has burrowed into my breast and laid eggs

itburnswhenipee said:
Uh... maybe it was just a terrible guide that was slapped together for the expressed purpose of separating you from your monies. There are way better places to get strategy tips for free. gamefaqs and apolyton come immediately to mind.

edit: The game is really about making choices. "Do I build this city next to the diamond bearing mountains or is it better to move it over just a little so I have sea access?" "Can I fight a war long enough to secure a source of oil from my enemy, or should I try to trade for it?" "Should my next invention be railroads to develop the infrastructure of my nation, or should I research nationalism which will give me a more powerful military unit?" There are basic strategies that you can try to follow, but each game is different.
I didn't say I paid for it, I just read it. And Civ 3 was always "I need to divert 100% of my resources into defense because the AI is going to come up here and screw me in an uncomfortable place, like the back of a Volkswagon". All fun was completely sucked out of that game which was highly dissapointing considering how much fin Civ2 was.

theacoustician said:
I didn't say I paid for it, I just read it. And Civ 3 was always "I need to divert 100% of my resources into defense because the AI is going to come up here and screw me in an uncomfortable place, like the back of a Volkswagon". All fun was completely sucked out of that game which was highly dissapointing considering how much fin Civ2 was.

That's odd. What difficulty level were you playing at? I only rarely get knocked out of the game early on. Plenty of times I find myself in a position later on where it looks like I'm behind, but that's part of the fun. You never know what might happen. Remember that trading luxuries and resources is a big part of the game. The AI might be a little reluctant to attack if you're their only source of something they can't provide themselves.

Just use cheat codes and wipe out your enemies key facilities to keep them submissive enough for you to expand your empire.

aoe3 > that.

edit: fuck, i didnt see fly beat me on that one.

I'm still trying to find a race i like playing with, dutch are... meh..

russians seem to be where it's at.

Last edited:
El Borracho said:
aoe3 > that.

edit: fuck, i didnt see fly beat me on that one.

I'm still trying to find a race i like playing with, dutch are... meh..

russians seem to be where it's at.
I'm British and Ape is German, they both seem to be good. The Ottoman Empire sucks ass tho.

The Spanish are the easiest, the British are the 2nd easiest if I remember correctly. The Ottomans are the hardest. (The manual ranks the civs in order)

after 3 failed attempts at stealing a copy, i loaded up civ3 to see if i even enjoy the series anymore. Civ3 is fun.. but gets kinda meh after a bit. I want to buy civ4, but i need to play it first to see if its worth the $50 or not. where the fuck are demos now a days?