City planners or city saboteurs

I like the way my uncle explained how PA does it. They do construction overnight and only close off as much road as they will be repairing at that time. No muss, no fuss, things get fixed and people aren't sitting in their cars for 8 hours a day trying to get to/from work.

This is a lie-- at least on the PA Turnpike. There you will regularly find miles of closed lane with no work going on, no construction equipment, and no sign of construction of any sort. I finally gave up on it and started using I-68 and I-79 to bypass it.

Fuck you, Pennsylvania Turnpike.

<shakes fist in impotent rage>

This is a lie-- at least on the PA Turnpike. There you will regularly find miles of closed lane with no work going on, no construction equipment, and no sign of construction of any sort. I finally gave up on it and started using I-68 and I-79 to bypass it.

EXACTLY. DRIVING THROUGH PA SUCKS.

Since when did you gain the dignified gentleman's ailment of impotence? They make pills for that, you know.

Quite actually driving on PA roads is almost a spiritual experience, especially during the fall.

Have you taken 90 through PA on the way to Niagara Falls or Toronto? There is always construction with no visible signs of work being done, the speed limit is 55 and you can't get out of PA fast enough.

Have you taken 90 through PA on the way to Niagara Falls or Toronto? There is always construction with no visible signs of work being done, the speed limit is 55 and you can't get out of PA fast enough.

That's the way I take all the time. To dull the pain and monotony of those 20 picturesque few miles, try counting the deer carcasses on the side of the road. Our record was 22.

I think road repair around here is done strictly it irritate people.
I-45 has always been under construction in one place or another for as long as I can remember.
Construction is always during the day, and they close off as much of the road as they damn well feel like. Seriously. Therell be miles of road closed off for no apparent reason. And itll stay like that for weeks.
The only thing they do in the over-night hours is lane changes. That way, all the just-woken up , bleary-eyed commuters will suffer maximum confusion by having to drive through areas that are completely different than they were 8 hours ago.

it doesn't sound like they're closing I90, just reducing traffic on it to maintain the traffic load at what is deemed acceptable based on the current structural state of the bridge.

if they do work to reinforce it, or replace it, they still won't close it. at worst they'll just continue with the current reductions.

as for the exploratory work on shoreline, it probably requires digging big holes in the ground to check out the pipe itself and what other utilities or conditions surround it so they can begin engineering work on the replacement. they have to figure out a way to put a replacement pipe in before the old pipe is removed... because you can't just turn off service.

you can't close a lane at night, dig a big hole, and reopen it in the morning. commuters don't like driving into holes. it isn't the same as resurfacing work that can be driven on while partially complete.

i'm not saying it doesn't suck, but anyone who lives in a city deals with this kind of stuff eventually. it's just made worse by the fact that you have a traffic bottleneck due to the presence of a lake.

Oh, I forgot to add, one of the city street detours they recommended is also down to one lane each way weaving through heavy construction. That leaves one "untouched" 2 lane each way city street with lights every city block to get to and from the city.

it doesn't sound like they're closing I90, just reducing traffic on it to maintain the traffic load at what is deemed acceptable based on the current structural state of the bridge.

if they do work to reinforce it, or replace it, they still won't close it. at worst they'll just continue with the current reductions.

To replace it, that would have to close it, or at least one side first, then the other. It would be suicide for the city to close it completely, but keep in mind this is Cleveland. Logic is not its strong suit.

i'm not saying it doesn't suck, but anyone who lives in a city deals with this kind of stuff eventually. it's just made worse by the fact that you have a traffic bottleneck due to the presence of a lake.

I can understand this work needs to get done. I cannot understand why they decide to do all of this at once. And even more than that, pretty much ignore the emergency state of one of their major construction blunders.

To replace it, that would have to close it, or at least one side first, then the other. It would be suicide for the city to close it completely, but keep in mind this is Cleveland. Logic is not its strong suit.
depends if they replace it with another bridge in the same location, or with another bridge parallel. they'll probably expand it when they replace it. depending on the design they may end up with the following typical scenario:

1) continue with current traffic volume on old bridge while they build a new bridge of the same size next to it.

2) move all traffic to new bridge, demolish old bridge, build another copy of the new bridge currently being used

3) open newest bridge to traffic moving in one direction, change older new bridge to traffic moving in the other direction, thus doubling overall capacity.

depends if they replace it with another bridge in the same location, or with another bridge parallel. they'll probably expand it when they replace it. depending on the design they may end up with the following typical scenario:

1) continue with current traffic volume on old bridge while they build a new bridge of the same size next to it.

2) move all traffic to new bridge, demolish old bridge, build another copy of the new bridge currently being used

3) open newest bridge to traffic moving in one direction, change older new bridge to traffic moving in the other direction, thus doubling overall capacity.

I certainly do not envy the designers for whatever solution they come up with. I90 circles around the southern side of the city. Interstates 71 and 77 end their northern run of the country straight into I90. As a matter of fact, part of the bridge shares I90 with I71. Not to mention this bridge has exits every quarter mile. As well as traversing a river, there are manufacturing and metalwork park the bridge goes over.

I certainly do not envy the designers for whatever solution they come up with. I90 circles around the southern side of the city. Interstates 71 and 77 end their northern run of the country straight into I90. As a matter of fact, part of the bridge shares I90 with I71. Not to mention this bridge has exits every quarter mile. As well as traversing a river, there are manufacturing and metalwork park the bridge goes over.
exactly. it's a clusterfuck. all major highway rebuilds are, which is why they usually get left until too late. they moved a two or three mile section of highway in Fort Worth. it took ten years.