Food Cinnamon rolls!

gee

Finally a new goddamn title
Sep 29, 2012
Halifax
Marklar
₥35,230
One of my friends gave me a cinnamon roll recipe on paper which I made a couple days ago, it turned out pretty friggin' awesome. I made a few adjustments to it to dial in the texture/sweetness, banged out a second test batch, and I think this recipe is pretty much optimal now.

These are chewy (in a good way), not too sweet, but still pretty decadent. I love 'em.

One thing I've learned is when you're baking, weigh everything. A cup of flour can weigh anywhere from 100g-250g depending on how tightly you pack it. Using weight lets you replicate a recipe more accurately. Also, weighing things like butter is much easier/quicker than trying to cram butter into a measuring cup.

Oh, I hope you have a Kitchenaid. It's used twice here.

RECIPE

Pastry:
1c evaporated milk
1 tbsp sugar
1 packet active dry or instant yeast
600g or 4c bread flour
120g or 1/2c sugar
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
80g or 1/3c butter

Filling:
80g or 1/3c butter
240g or 1c brown sugar
25g or 3 tbsp cinnamon

Icing:
300g/2c icing sugar
80g or 1/3c butter
120g or 1/2 bar cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
pinch salt

DIRECTIONS

Measure out the milk in a 2c measuring cup, stir in 1tbsp sugar and pitch the yeast on top. Give it a few minutes to wake up. Save the rest of the evaporated milk for coffee or tea, it's awesome.

TIkPSXQ.jpg

Grab your scale and weigh out 600g of bread flour into your kitchenaid bowl. Throw in 120g of white sugar and 5g salt while it's on the scale.

Gy4u9pp.jpg

Weigh your butter into a microwaveable bowl, and melt it in the microwave, takes about 30 seconds.

wTODtQ5.jpg

Throw the yeast, eggs, then butter on top of the flour. Grab your mixer's kneading hook, stir everything together by hand so the flour's mostly integrated, then knead with the mixer for 10 minutes.

Transfer to a greased bowl, cover in cling wrap and let it sit until it doubles in size. In my 20C kitchen, this took about 2 hours.

vYhDpzR.jpg

While the dough's rising, prep the rest of your stuff. Weigh out the brown sugar and cinnamon into one bowl, and weigh another 1/3c of butter into the same bowl you used earlier.

99rvZrZ.jpg

Also weigh out the butter, cream cheese and vanilla. You'll want this to be room temperature when it's time to make the icing, so it fluffs up nicely. Oh, clean your kitchenaid bowl, you'll need it to make the icing.

HxYFaus.jpg

When your dough is risen, clean off your countertop. Melt the 1/3c butter and mix it into the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Punch down the dough and divide it into two equal sized balls.

YKt6Xm3.jpg

Grab a rolling pin and roll each ball out into a 12x16" "rectangle". You'll drive yourself nuts trying to make a perfect rectangle, once you get it like this it's good enough.

khekqga.jpg

Spread on half of the sugar/cinnamon mixture. Don't worry about getting it too close to the edges.

TZM5Ajq.jpg

Then roll one up homie, and place it on a sheet of parchment paper. Roll out/spread/roll up the other one, and cover the two with cling wrap until they're doubled in size.

CfUVHMw.jpg

Grab a carving knife or chef knife and put a good edge on it. (<3 my Grohmann set, made here in NS and bought straight from the factory.) Grab a wet cloth to wipe sugar off the blade every few slices.

eqzn8RO.jpg

Slice the roll of dough into 1" thick slices, and place on parchmented baking sheets. You'll get about 16 good ones, plus ends (I bake these anyway). Set your oven to 375F, and when it's hot, throw 'em in the oven. They'll be in there 15-20 minutes, take them out when the edges are brown.

DYWo8cr.jpg

In the meantime, make your icing. Throw the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar, salt and vanilla in the kitchenaid bowl, grab the paddle attachment, and give it a good whip until it's nice and fluffy. When it's ready, dump it out into a large ziploc bag - when it's time, you'll cut a bottom corner off the bag to make a ghetto icing funnel.

QI8txV2.jpg

They're done!

I find that cinammon rolls leak their filling when you take them out of the oven. To fix this, 5 minutes after they're out of the oven, carefully flip them over. This coats both sides of the cinnamon rolls with melty sugary sticky goodness, and reduces the leakage.

VPaXfGI.jpg

Immediately after you flip them, cut the corner off your icing bag and cover them in icing. There should still be a bit of heat left in the cinnamon rolls, which will melt the icing a bit, but not too much.

JmqqooH.jpg

Wait at least 10 more minutes for the rolls to cool down and the icing to gel, so you don't lose everything over your clothes when you try to eat. Enjoy!

You don't need a kitchenaid mixer. A regular mixer will suffice.
You can make them entirely by hand too, it'll just be a great pain in the ass. The dough here is quite gluteny/dense and has to be kneaded for a while to come together into a nice texture.

Looks gooooooood! Though not a huge fan of cream cheese icing on cinnamon rolls. Prefer white icing or caramel icing.

I wouldn't use just any old mixer for dough though. You can destroy motors if they aren't made for dough. Doesn't have to be KA but shouldn't be a $75 Sunbeam.

I feel like Kitchenaid is a regular mixer. I don't understand what you mean.

Yeah they're not "regular" mixers at all. They are extremely nice, very expensive by comparison and absolute beasts compared to an average mixer.

This is kind of like what I grew up with in terms of a mixer. No way in hell could it handle a real amount of bread dough.
http://www.sunbeam.com/kitchen-appliances/mixers/stand-mixers/002591-000-000.html#start=5

I'd say most people I knew had those. Even among my friends now maybe half or less have a KA mixer.

Last edited:
Kitchen Aid is most definitely not a regular mixer. It's a very high quality and expensive mixer.

Well we broke our artisan one making bread (which we do every week), and had to upgrade to the professional series. I think we 'needed' the nice one. It only cost us $125. I don't really think that's super expensive for a tool we use at least 3 times a week.

i just wish i would have bought a more powerful kitchenaid when i got mine

I know someone who said the same thing. The artisan series just can't seem to handle as much as the professional series. I've had 3 professional ones. One is the original nearly 14 year old mixer that started leaking some oil about 5 years ago. I used it to make bread/pizza dough about 2 times a week and then some. It also kind of got banged up moving around with it. I gave it to my dad and bought my 2nd one where I had an accident with it under warranty and kind of messed up the motor. They replaced it free of charge and so still on the 3rd one. The original one still works but not as great with the bread as it used to be.

The artisans not on sale start at $230 and the professionals start at $450 per the kitchenaid site. That's significantly more than Sunbeam mixers that start at $50 and top out at $130. That's why I say that a Kitchen Aid mixer is not an average mixer. I obviously think they are worth it since I keep buying them, but a lot of people wouldn't ever dream of paying that much for one.

Well we broke our artisan one making bread (which we do every week), and had to upgrade to the professional series. I think we 'needed' the nice one. It only cost us $125. I don't really think that's super expensive for a tool we use at least 3 times a week.

Juli's was around $600 I think. That's what I'm talking about.