Food Cinnamon rolls!

This is the stuff I get (of course it's available on Amazon, heh). It costs a lot less in Manzanillo, FWIW.

Hmm, the ingredient list on Amazon says sugar is added. It doesn't say that on the label of the bottles that I have.

It also says it has vanillin which is kind of odd same with the caramel color.

Wonder if what you get is better than this type?

I painted my dining room in some color called vanillin.

It ended up being very boring. No wonder i liked it.

Probably worse, since it's what they sell to the locals. :fly:

LOL good point! Someone said that they usually buy this in Mexico and it isn't the same.

Now I wonder if it's just what @MapleySyrup just said.

Oh well I'll continue to search to see if someone does make Mexican vanilla sans sugar.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL good point! Someone said that they usually buy this in Mexico and it isn't the same.

Now I wonder if it's just what @MapleySyrup just said.

Oh well I'll continue to search to see if someone does make Mexican vanilla sans sugar.
http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048613.htm

"Tourists tempted to pick up bargains south of the border should beware of one bargain that isn't a good buy—a so-called “vanilla” flavoring or extract that isn’t vanilla flavoring or extract at all,"

Last edited by a moderator:
Living in Texas we used to buy Mexican vanilla while visiting Mexico and I remember it being stupid cheap. Like a half liter for ten bucks cheap.

Not sure of the quality tho.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048613.htm

"Tourists tempted to pick up bargains south of the border should beware of one bargain that isn't a good buy—a so-called “vanilla” flavoring or extract that isn’t vanilla flavoring or extract at all,"
Right, which is why you pick up the ones that say "contains no coumarin".

But thanks for the googling. I'm sure I couldn't have done that myself.

Right, which is why you pick up the ones that say "contains no coumarin".

But thanks for the googling. I'm sure I couldn't have done that myself.

actually,

I searched for mexican vanilla on google too to see if it (or something close) was cheaper outside of amazon. There's an EBAY listing for some with a big ole FDA warning on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-ONE-LITER-BOTTLES-OF-ORGANIC-EL-CHARRO-PURE-MEXICAN-VANILLA-EXTRACT-/171258339092?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I'd still be concerned if it says 'no coumarin.' I'm not sure what the standards are when Pablo and Jose are bottling. :lol:

Last edited:
I've actually done some reading on this. For a while they switched from metal to nylon gears on some models, but apparently they were so bad that more recent machines are built with metal gears again. I don't know which models were affected, but I can tell you that the 575 watt, 6 quart model I have runs great, even when heavily loaded.

edit: Just saw gee's post re: the nylon gears on the artisan model. They may have gone back to metal gears at this point.

Yah, this is what I read.

Some vanilla is better than others but it doesn't take a lot of money to get a good one. However I'd rather not use it at all if all I could get was imitation vanilla.

I'm more of a baker than a foodie though and I think vanilla is under used most of the time.

Imitation vanilla is soooooooo disgust!

Last edited: