Food Cinnamon rolls!

You're posting on a forum full of foodies...

Forever a minority
nutu4ege.jpg

It's pretty much ordinary vanilla extract, in a fancied up bottle sold for a higher price to unsuspecting foodies.

I bought it off the discount shelf at the supermarket.

Some vanilla is better than others but it doesn't take a lot of money to get a good one. However I'd rather not use it at all if all I could get was imitation vanilla.

I'm more of a baker than a foodie though and I think vanilla is under used most of the time.

Some vanilla is better than others but it doesn't take a lot of money to get a good one. However I'd rather not use it at all if all I could get was imitation vanilla.

I'm more of a baker than a foodie though and I think vanilla is under used most of the time.

actually, I think this is probably true of a lot of foods.

I read an article where the guy said he'd rather live in a small place and have Parmigiano Reggiano than ever have to go without it.

& it's true. If the food is worthwhile, everything is worthwhile.

We always bring back a bottle of vanilla extract from Mexico when we go. It doesn't contain coumarin, but does taste a lot different from typical vanilla extracts that I can get here in the states.

We always bring back a bottle of vanilla extract from Mexico when we go. It doesn't contain coumarin, but does taste a lot different from typical vanilla extracts that I can get here in the states.
it maybe isnt 35% alcohol? It has to have alcohol something in it to be labeled "extract" in the US

Wegmans here sometimes has "cooking vanilla" (not extract) which is pure, but it's oily and has slightly dif flavor

A lot of the Mexican Vanilla I have found seems to put sugar in theirs. I think it kind of smooths out the taste maybe? I'll buy that and then switch to a double vanilla type. More vanilla taste per alcohol to me. I accidentally bought regular vanilla extract (bean inside bottle) and it's okay but I really prefer either of those others myself.

A lot of the Mexican Vanilla I have found seems to put sugar in theirs. I think it kind of smooths out the taste maybe? I'll buy that and then switch to a double vanilla type. More vanilla taste per alcohol to me. I accidentally bought regular vanilla extract (bean inside bottle) and it's okay but I really prefer either of those others myself.
Dunno. All it says on the package is vanilla bean, alcohol, and water.

That's cool! I've been looking for Mexican vanilla without off and on and hadn't found something I could order that had it w/o.

This is the stuff I get (of course it's available on Amazon, heh). It costs a lot less in Manzanillo, FWIW.

Hmm, the ingredient list on Amazon says sugar is added. It doesn't say that on the label of the bottles that I have.

Last edited: