Church and raising a kid

It's best that you don't try to tell her you don't want her to go, if it really doesn't matter to you. On the other hand, she might need to be reminded that you don't want her to keep asking you to particapate in church with her. If you can co-exist with that you should not have a problem.

Good luck

I'm impressed at the amount of people saying they will let their children decide. What a completely different generation this is.

The predominant person here is some who was probably ridiculed and tortured some way in school over being different. Ask this to your average myspace kid and you'll get something different.

The predominant person here is some who was probably ridiculed and tortured some way in school over being different. Ask this to your average myspace kid and you'll get something different.

You think a majority of us were ridiculed when we are younger? Why and how did you come to this conclusion?

you think all "myspace kids" were done that way .. I guess it's happened to almost the entire world then .. or at least the ones who have access to a computer :lol:
no wonder this world is so fucked up :lol:

You laugh too much. I mean I know Mikey is funny to look at, but the man has feelings you know.

Sheesh.

You think a majority of us were ridiculed when we are younger? Why and how did you come to this conclusion?

We are all generally smarter and more well rounded than the average person. We are into computers and the arts and likely have a technical job. We like what most people would consider geeky things and so forth and most of us seem to follow our own path and not just fall into place because its cool at the moment. I'm sure most of us was considered very smart, geeky if not plain weird.

By myspace crowd, I meant normal people our age (that is people in their late 20s and under) They dont understand how a computer works, they rarely watch the news, they dont have a clue to what slashdot is but can tell you what day Paris Hilton is going to jail. They take things as face value while we usually want to know more and then decide. We understand that we generally like the religion we like because we grew up with it and may be open to other religions, while the average person is actually quite closed to the idea of something new.

I'm a little late to the thread but...

Wonko, you may not agree with the church/religion, but that doesn't mean you can't be supportive of her input on raising your child. This also means that she will have to do the same for you.

Have you thought about taking turns with your weekends? Find out the exact reasons for her wanting to have your child involved with church. Nuts-n-bolts reasons. Not specific stuff like "to praise Jesus", but more like "to have a moral foundation." Get a nice list from her and add the values, experiences and lessons that you want your child to learn. Use that list to create a family activity/day that reinforces what you and your wife want to pass-on to your child. Make it routine and every-other weekend alternating with church.

If you can't agree on a point-of-view, at least you can support each other.

Thorn and I have discussed it many times, though we are not quite in the same boat as you and your wife. Thorn wants our children to be raised in the Catholic church and it was discussed before we were married.

I know that I can raise my children to be good people, to do what is right and to make the right choices when they are sent out in to the world. I don't think that church is necessary for this. I do not know if I will be able to teach them spirituality or not. I do believe that my spirituality will show through my father-child relationship and they will learn through that. I don't condone or condemn religion (as a whole) but my pre-marriage experience with it wasn't the best (RLDS). I probably will not ever become Catholic, but I do go to mass with my wife, which isn't that often, and I am suppotive of raising our children as Catholic. Though I may not agree with everything that is done or said, it is a good morale foundation and a starting point for their relationship with themselves and god.

When they are older, they will have to choose what is best for them. Until then, it will be our job to give them the best that we have to offer in the way of experience and knowledge. If anything, being supportive of my wife and my wife being supportive of me will show them that love and understanding is important part of life.

I don't normally talk religion and I am by no means an expert, I hope that my point-of-view will help you do what is best for your family. After all, this is my first time as a husband/father and I'm just "wingin' it".

Last edited:
why do people feel they need to have their children go to church to learn some kind of moral foundation? Are they incapable of teaching their child right and wrong?

It's more likey like Beerad says .. it's just extra added to what you teach. Most kids go to public school .. so in a lot of parents minds church kinda helps to balance out the bad stuff they learn at school.