Chucky no longer threatens Tampa

without a doubt...he inherited a super bowl team and did nothing with it but watch it decline

Granted he did inherit a good team but he also brought in a few key players that helped win the Superbowl. I didn't care for Gruden but it always made me mad when people would always say it was Dungys team. Well if Dungys team was so good then why couldn't he ever win in the playoffs.

Granted he did inherit a good team but he also brought in a few key players that helped win the Superbowl. I didn't care for Gruden but it always made me mad when people would always say it was Dungys team. Well if Dungys team was so good then why couldn't he ever win in the playoffs.

imo it was an inevitability, just like him getting one after a few years at indy

imo it was an inevitability, just like him getting one after a few years at indy

And at Indy he was what that team needed at the time to push them over the hump and get them motivated in a direction they needed. Same as Gruden did for Tampa at the time. Granted after that he basically went crazy and let everything slide.

And at Indy he was what that team needed at the time to push them over the hump and get them motivated in a direction they needed. Same as Gruden did for Tampa at the time. Granted after that he basically went crazy and let everything slide.

Yeah, kinda funny how in his FIRST year, he took them to the Super Bowl and then did shit afterwards. Oh wait, its not so weird when you're using a GOOD coach's team. Shit all fell apart when he designed the offense...

Yeah, kinda funny how in his FIRST year, he took them to the Super Bowl and then did shit afterwards. Oh wait, its not so weird when you're using a GOOD coach's team. Shit all fell apart when he designed the offense...

This myth, which was referenced as recently as last Saturday’s editorial in the Tampa Tribune that called for Gruden’s firing, is easy to debunk. Former Bucs head coach Tony Dungy did some great things in Tampa Bay, and he played an integral role in turning one of the league’s worst franchises into one of the best. However, Dungy didn’t win the Super Bowl with his own team, which is why he was fired.

It’s completely fair to say Gruden inherited a playoff-caliber team. The Bucs had, after all, made the playoffs in four of Dungy’s six seasons in Tampa Bay. However, Gruden didn’t win with Dungy’s team. He completely retooled the offensive side of the ball, having former Bucs general manager Rich McKay sign eight players in 2002, including tackle Roman Oben, guard Kerry Jenkins, quarterback Rob Johnson, wide receivers Keenan McCardell and Joe Jurevicius, tight ends Ken Dilger and Rickey Dudley, and running back Michael Pittman. Each of those players started at least one game for the Bucs during their Super Bowl run.

An analysis of the Super Bowl roster (including injured reserve) shows a total of 28 players brought in under the Gruden-McKay regime: OT Lomas Brown,_FB Darian Barnes,_LS Ryan Benjamin,_DT DeVone Claybrooks,_TE Casey Crawford,_LB Jack Golden, _OT Dan Goodspeed,_OT Cornell Green,_DT Buck Gurley,_FS Jermaine Phillips,_DE Greg Spires, P Tom Tupa,_CB Tim Wansley,_TE Daniel Wilcox, WR Charles Lee,_LB Ryan Nece,_LS Mike Solwold,_DE Corey Smith,_RB Travis Stephens_WR and Marquise Walker. That’s over half the roster.

Dungy’s playoff teams in Tampa Bay scored a total of 59 points in six playoff contests, which averaged out to 9.8 points per contest. The Bucs also failed to score a touchdown in their final three playoff losses, including two in Philadelphia, which was the same place Gruden and the Bucs won 27-10 to advance to the Super Bowl.

This myth, which was referenced as recently as last Saturday’s editorial in the Tampa Tribune that called for Gruden’s firing, is easy to debunk. Former Bucs head coach Tony Dungy did some great things in Tampa Bay, and he played an integral role in turning one of the league’s worst franchises into one of the best. However, Dungy didn’t win the Super Bowl with his own team, which is why he was fired.

It’s completely fair to say Gruden inherited a playoff-caliber team. The Bucs had, after all, made the playoffs in four of Dungy’s six seasons in Tampa Bay. However, Gruden didn’t win with Dungy’s team. He completely retooled the offensive side of the ball, having former Bucs general manager Rich McKay sign eight players in 2002, including tackle Roman Oben, guard Kerry Jenkins, quarterback Rob Johnson, wide receivers Keenan McCardell and Joe Jurevicius, tight ends Ken Dilger and Rickey Dudley, and running back Michael Pittman. Each of those players started at least one game for the Bucs during their Super Bowl run.

An analysis of the Super Bowl roster (including injured reserve) shows a total of 28 players brought in under the Gruden-McKay regime: OT Lomas Brown,_FB Darian Barnes,_LS Ryan Benjamin,_DT DeVone Claybrooks,_TE Casey Crawford,_LB Jack Golden, _OT Dan Goodspeed,_OT Cornell Green,_DT Buck Gurley,_FS Jermaine Phillips,_DE Greg Spires, P Tom Tupa,_CB Tim Wansley,_TE Daniel Wilcox, WR Charles Lee,_LB Ryan Nece,_LS Mike Solwold,_DE Corey Smith,_RB Travis Stephens_WR and Marquise Walker. That’s over half the roster.

Dungy’s playoff teams in Tampa Bay scored a total of 59 points in six playoff contests, which averaged out to 9.8 points per contest. The Bucs also failed to score a touchdown in their final three playoff losses, including two in Philadelphia, which was the same place Gruden and the Bucs won 27-10 to advance to the Super Bowl.

Did you really say Rob Johnson? :lol: And most of the 28 player you mention look like defensive players...

Same. I don't suspect many of them were the meat and potatoes starters.

I almost had to make sure it was floptical posting, after all, it looked a lot like the Condi Rice explanation of the Bush presidency and how much it had accomplished.

Did you really say Rob Johnson? :lol: And most of the 28 player you mention look like defensive players...

Yes I said Rob Johnson. Granted he sucked after the superbowl year but he filled in alot when Brad Johnson kept getting hurt. And he won the first playoff game. And what difference does it make if the players mentioned were offense or defense? I was just pointing out that over half the roster we new. And yes almost all of those guys put in alot of playing time that year. I'm not defending Gruden at all I think he was a complete douche bag and deserved to be fired but at the same time the Superbowl winning team was not Dungys team. You also have to take into account that was the first year they had the NFC South so they were playing a complete different divisional race.

I guess it is all up to opinion, but what coach coaching for the first year of a team takes them to the super bowl?

Ha.

I guess it is all up to opinion, but what coach coaching for the first year of a team takes them to the super bowl?

Ha.

George Seifert did it with the 49ers and Switzer did take the Cowboys to the NFC Championship his first year and the Superbowl the next. Ray Malavasi went to the NFC Championship his first year with Cincinnati. Red Miller went to the Superbowl his first year with Denver. John Rauch took the Raiders to the playoffs his first year and the Superbowl his second. Hell you can even through Mike Tomlin into this mix with the Steelers.

Last edited:
George Seifert did it with the 49ers and Switzer did take the Cowboys to the NFC Championship his first year and the Superbowl the next. Ray Malavasi went to the NFC Championship his first year with Cincinnati. Red Miller went to the Superbowl his first year with Denver. John Rauch took the Raiders to the playoffs his first year and the Superbowl his second. Hell you can even through Mike Tomlin into this mix with the Steelers.

:lol: seifert inherited walsh's epic 80's 49'rs and switzer inherited jimmy johnson's epic 90's cowgirls

edit: and tomlin obviously inherited a superbowl winner from cowher

Last edited: