Christmas Help!!!

HifiGirly

Half-staff Member
Nov 16, 2004
Ohio
Marklar
₥0
So this year my husbands mother came up with a new idea... I am not completely sold on yet. Anyways, I need some help, LOTS!!!

So this we get to spend $10 on each adult (there are 4) and $5 on each child, (our niece and nephew and our son). The thing is she doesn't want us to just go out and spend the money, we have to be creative and get lots of stuff, but not junk, stuff the people would actually like. For example she (my mother-in-law) went to the local bowling alley and asked for some bowling pens, they gave her 10 for free. Those are for our nephew, he's 7. Today I found a brand new coffee mug at work (in storage) with our logo. I am giving it to my mother-in-law since she drinks coffee and uses our company. So... I need ideas!!! Please help!!!

$10 on the adults and $5 on the kids? Why not just put everyone's name in a hat and each person draws 1 adult and 1 kid or something like that. Then you can spend a bit more on them to get them something nice/cool/etc. Trying to buy gifts for a load of people is rediculous, especially with such a tight budget.

I'm confused. You're going out to find each other used items? In that case I have some underwear I can send you.

Coqui said:
Not much one could actually like for $10

Your telling me, this sooooo was not my idea!!! I love Christmas shopping. I have already started shopping to, and all the stuff I had bought is over the price limit!!! :(

theacoustician said:
$10 on the adults and $5 on the kids? Why not just put everyone's name in a hat and each person draws 1 adult and 1 kid or something like that. Then you can spend a bit more on them to get them something nice/cool/etc. Trying to buy gifts for a load of people is rediculous, especially with such a tight budget.

Thats what my family does, a name draw and we spend about $40 or so.

get a used ten gallon fish tank, fill it with buckeyes and tell one of the kids its a squirrel farm*. you could even put a bengals sticker on it somewhere and tell em its an offical nfl squirrel farm.

*squirrel not included

My family we give all the kids gifts and one gift per coupled adults. Something for house etc.

My wife's family she counts in all cousins and aunts and uncles, my family doesn't, so at thanksgiving every ones name is put into a hat including kids and everyone draws a name. The past two years my wife's mom and her sisters keep saying that they did it the day or so before so you need to buy a gift for this person. I've had the ssame redneck uncle of hers for the past few years. I've tried to explain that it's just not statistically possible and if they don't do it the real way this year I'm not buying him another NASCAR gift.

I don't really care for family holidays anymore.

buy some cheesecloth (or thin material), some pretty, thin ribbon, and some potpourri. make little sachets for the ladies.

use thin material and make handkerchiefs for the men.

make CDs with each person's favorite music on it.

and am i remembering correctly when i think you have a new baby? make a DVD of pictures and/or 30-second movie clips of the baby.

see if you can find a place that makes calendars for around $10 a piece, and make a 2006 calendar with baby pictures.

make homemade coupons (i'll babysit for free one night, i'll cook your dinner one night, i'll go drop off dry cleaning, etc..)

buy some cheap jars and make teas, or cookies, or hot chocolate powder. or you can measure out all the ingredients for some recipe (cookies, for example,) and put all the ingredients by layers in the jar. tie the recipe on the jar lid with a pretty ribbon and all they have to do is dump, mix and bake!

make some homemade stationery for people to use. all you need is paper, stamps, punch-outs, etc...or put a picture of the baby on the top.

snapfish has coffee mugs you can put a picture on...they have other stuff, too...keychains? little stuff for cheap.

i'll be thinking of more for you. i love this kind of stuff!

No idea, but I'm also into the name drawing. We don't do extended family, just brothers and sisters, and since we are the only ones with a child, everyone seems to buy her a christmas present. Man, she is spoiled.

HydroSqueegee said:
no shit. as a kid i always got a jam packed stocking full of neet but useless stuff youll never think about after christmas.

Exactly. Anything I can think of (espescially for kids) the Novelty would wear off quickly

Thorn Bird said:
buy some cheap jars and make teas, or cookies, or hot chocolate powder. or you can measure out all the ingredients for some recipe (cookies, for example,) and put all the ingredients by layers in the jar. tie the recipe on the jar lid with a pretty ribbon and all they have to do is dump, mix and bake!
Those cooke/brownie mix jars are a big hit

_I_ even like getting those :p food is always a safe bet....