Christmas Cards from April23

theacoustician said:
What part of the birth of Sol Invitus did you not understand? Or is Latin too difficult for you? Dies Natalis Solis Invicti literally means the birthday of the invincible sun god. What exactly do you think Sol Invictus means?

Also for the record, Saturnalia started on the 17th and only lasted a week, not three you retard. Winter solstice was on the 25th. The sun worshipers just stretched out the party a bit since Sol Invictus was born on the solstice. Saturnalia was still celebrated at the time, but it had become more of a generic winter harvest festival/prep for Sol Invictus than of a celebration of Saturn at that point.
Argh.

I read the birth part wrong, either way, my sources quote Saturnalia as the 1-23 of dec. Harrison, Polgrom, page 529.

FlamingGlory said:
Argh.

I read the birth part wrong, either way, my sources quote Saturnalia as the 1-23 of dec. Harrison, Polgrom, page 529.
The real festival was only a week. Actually, when people worshipped Saturn, it was only a day. It very well could have stretched out to 3 weeks later on in its life as the Romans eventually made up more holidays than working days.

FlamingGlory said:
Well, when the thread says Christmas cards for Christmas I assume they are referring to the Christian holiday. Just because people dont think of other holidays that fall on a date near Christmas, doesnt mean they are sheltered. The thread doesnt say holidays, or December 1-31 cards, it says Christmas.

You see what I mean?
I see what you mean ...Think OUTSIDE the box - nothing is literal anymore.

gottoys? said:
I see what you mean ...Think OUTSIDE the box - nothing is literal anymore.
But no one can blame you if you take things as they are said. No one can, in fact, they have to respect you for it. They are the imbecils who couldnt word their sentances correctly in the first place.

Valve1138 said:
No Chanukah cards? :(

It's hard to be a Jew on Christmas...
Yeah, but is it hard to be a jew on Chanuka? Why not make a Chanuka card thread? Maybe someone will send something. It's on Dec 26th this year anyway.

More possible Christmas background?
The Christmas tree began as part of a solstice ritual practiced by Germans to light the darkest night of the year. Smart missionaries of the time realized that this ritual had developed in connection to people’s fear of the darkness of winter. The tannenbaum exposed the Germans’ deepest fear – and the missionaries understood that it thus represented the most fertile grounds for conversion. By identifying the tree with the holy cross and the birth of Christ, the Christians augmented the pagan ritual and redirected its sense of hope toward their own messiah.

Very interesting thread. I look forward to my x-mas card.

It seems christains of yore were alot smarter than christains of today with their sneaky tricks for recruiting pagans.

On a related note Shows such as wife swap have found the worse examples of christain dumbasses known to man lately. Are their that many people like that or those shows are just good locating that type of people?

b_sinning said:
On a related note Shows such as wife swap have found the worse examples of christain dumbasses known to man lately. Are their that many people like that or those shows are just good locating that type of people?
Ain't never watched that show but I've got a few religious kooks in my family on the Christian side that are complete hypocrites and mean spirited. One of them recently had a health scare with her husband and is no longer as judgemental of others and much more pleasant to be around, could actually agree on a few things for once.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Ain't never watched that show but I've got a few religious kooks in my family on the Christian side that are complete hypocrites and mean spirited. One of them recently had a health scare with her husband and is no longer as judgemental of others and much more pleasant to be around, could actually agree on a few things for once.
I should also mention that my mother is on the board at a local church and goes just about every sunday among other days, yet she's probably even more "live and let live" than I am :lol:

It just seems media has started turning on the christains some. Lately I seem to only see the crazy hypocritical christains in media. I'm not a church person myself though I have strong spirtual beliefs and come from a christain background. I know a lot of wonderful christains that are not nuts and are great people. I also know some of the fruity ones too, the "Yes I'm glad Jesus loves me but I'm trying to have an adult conversation with you" type of people. I guess old Karl was right when he said "Religion is the opium of the masses."

I know what you mean, just like every other segment of society, they all have their whackos. It would seem the media likes to latch on to one for a while and make people think that every person in that segment is like that.

There was the 'militia craze' in the 90's where every gun owner was painted as some drunk fat redneck driving around a full sized pickup shooti.......o wait

theacoustician said:
The real festival was only a week. Actually, when people worshipped Saturn, it was only a day. It very well could have stretched out to 3 weeks later on in its life as the Romans eventually made up more holidays than working days.
I'm pretty sure Saturnalia was at most ever six days long (17th to 23rd)

edit: I mean how long can debauchery really go for