Chris Mathews drops the F-bomb...

What's even more perplexing is that the FCC was not even chartered to govern the content on TV, yet it still does in a "I answer to no one" type way.

Because the FCC was chartered to regulate the over the air frequencies no matter who uses them. This why they can regulate over the air television but not cable television.

In case you don't realize it, words have meaning. Otherwise they wouldn't be words.

yeah but honestly what difference does it really make. i understand the n-word and faggot to an extent due to the historical nature of the word to demean a culture. but words like fuck, cunt, and so on our just a vulgar way of refering to things. and there is something about free speech or something i should throw in there.

yeah but honestly what difference does it really make. i understand the n-word and faggot to an extent due to the historical nature of the word to demean a culture. but words like fuck, cunt, and so on our just a vulgar way of refering to things. and there is something about free speech or something i should throw in there.
But the fact that they are vulgar is what makes them more potent and shocking. There will always be words that serve that purpose and have that label as it is necessary in a language. They may change over time, but they will always exist.

And I'm not certain if free speech applies unless there was no other way he could state his though without using the words he knows are not allowed.

Because what is being broadcast on American TV is a direct representation of our society.

Which would you rather have the world see? People who are able to form cohesive sentences without continually and pointlessly being vulgar? Or some guy with dreadlocks yelling "poopcock" into the camera over and over?

Because what is being broadcast on American TV is a direct representation of our society.

Which would you rather have the world see? People who are able to form cohesive sentences without continually and pointlessly being vulgar? Or some guy with dreadlocks yelling "poopcock" into the camera over and over?

why does he have to have dreadlocks, you racist? :p

I vote for the latter. poopcock makes me laugh.

And I'm not certain if free speech applies unless there was no other way he could state his though without using the words he knows are not allowed.

I'm pretty sure SCOTUS has never ruled that protected speech has to meet that requirement. :thrawn:

perhaps a doctorate in economics would be more useful than one in seeds and manure.

but really i just think he was referring specifically to President Bush.

Successful ranchers/farmers are probably more savvy in economics than graduate economists or even those that claim they are professional economists.

Successful ranchers/farmers are probably more savvy in economics than graduate economists or even those that claim they are professional economists.

was he even successful in that? afaik, he only has a doctorate in riding daddy's coat tails

I think he's referring to applying to the job of POTUS.

Hopefully no one here is discounting the value and hard work involved in farming.

was he even successful in that? afaik, he only has a doctorate in riding daddy's coat tails

He was one of the Skulls at Yale from what I've heard.

But the fact that they are vulgar is what makes them more potent and shocking. There will always be words that serve that purpose and have that label as it is necessary in a language. They may change over time, but they will always exist.

You are such a tree.

they're no doubt more savvy in applied economics as it applies to their industry, but that doesn't necessarily translate well to international trade relations, national budget management and tax policy. i'm not saying that there aren't any well educated ranchers, I'm just saying that on-the-job training in economics isn't a substitute for higher education on the subject. Most ranchers and farmers are more likely to have advaced degrees in agriculture or biology.