dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
So I get home and I see this.

http://s2.supload.com/free/bbabos1.png/view/

The story goes like this:

Great Lakes Brewing (GLB) offers a stout near the end of the first quarter, around spring. It was called Railway Stout or something like that. When the giant power outage occurred, GLB threw a party. The refrigerators weren't working so they had to drain the kegs before the beer went bad. From that point on, they called it Blackout Stout in homage to the cool times had during the power outage.

And now for something completely different.

The definition of a bourbon is a form of whiskey aged in virgin charred white oak barrels. See here for more details. http://www.answers.com/topic/bourbon-whiskey

Well since the distilleries need fresh barrels every time they aged the whiskey, they have to get rid of the "spent" ones. Sometimes they are sold to Scotch makers in Scotland to do their aging because they don't have the same regulation on barrels. Sometimes they destroy the barrels. Sometimes others buy them.

Fast forward to now.

The brewmaster was toying with the idea of making a barrel-aged version of their Blackout Stout. GLB teamed with Jim Beam distilleries and purchased a couple of their used barrels. Last week was the tapping of the barrels after aging 6 months (remember starting at spring).

They have been doing this for a few years now with huge success. The problem was they don't make very much (just a couple barrels each year) so they made it a pub exclusive - you had to go to brewery restaurant (which is amazing btw) and order a glass. And since it was such a small batch, you couldn't take any home.

This year was the first year they started bottling it. They made 900 - 22oz bottles, hand labelled and hand filled them, and sold them in their gift shop. They also tapped a second barrel to serve in the pub restaurant. They limited it to 6 bottles per person per day and were $15 a bottle.

Chimney went to the gift shop when it opened at 10am yesterday. He was waiting in a line. A man in the line was from Indianapolis and drove all the way there just for this beer. He started his drive at 4am for it.

Chimney got his 6 bottles and went home. He came back at noon for lunch with the roommate, and she bought 6 more for him so that makes the 12. We went for dinner and checked to see if we could get any more. They were out by 3pm.

Comments? Beer stories? Chimney had one with lunch, then we each had 2 with dinner, $6 for a 10oz snifter :fly:

Last year Publix had a sale on Miller Light. It was 3 dollars for a twelve pack. Now I'm not the biggest Miller Light fan but I couldn't pass up a deal like that. I remember telling Dharma about the price and she thought "no big deal" but she understood once we got to the store and there were tons of men with carts full of beer. It was classic.

The first thing I noticed in the pic is that all of the bottles were full. That is not indicative of a drinking problem.

Ask me about the thousands of dollars I spent during my 'wine' phase. That was a motherfrigging drinking problem.

(still can't believe I paid $300 for an off-vintage bordeaux)

I derive no pleasure on any level from drinking beer.

What if you drank beer outta this bottle?

tommy-guns-vodka.jpg

A drinking problem is running out of alcohol on a Sunday afternoon in Georgia.

Now you know why I like my pool hall so much. if the fridge goes dry Sunday due to my poor planning I mosey down the street to Southside Billiards Club and they have me covered.