Children and older men; when is too young, too young?

simple

Giant Member
Sep 30, 2004
^_^
Marklar
₥5
I was walking around the community with HFS last night when we see two little girls coming the other way. HFS, who's a grade school teacher, is money at knowing kids' ages and says "they're 10 years old", anyways as they come closer all of a sudden we hear "beep beep beep". One of the 10 year old girls pulls out a pink razor phone and says "hey, what's up".

I couldn't fucking believe it, a 10 year old with a cell phone, let alone a razor. What the fuck is a kid that young doing with a cell phone? When I was that young I pretty much spent every waking moment in the woods or playing sports - I would lose a cell phone in like 5 seconds. I just don't get it. How can a kid that young handle the responsibility of maintaining a phone and monitoring their cell phone minutes to avoid huge bills????

the parents have bank and don't care what the bill is or if they lose it
I'd rather my kids have one than not if they were allowed out of my site

why_ask_why said:
but not caring if the kid loses the phone, or even replacing it if they do isn't a very good lesson in responsibility

and you wouldn't leave your kid alone without some form of adult supervision

a cell phone shouldn't replace adult supervision

why_ask_why said:

Maybe the parents are teaching them responsibility. If I had a kid it will have a cell phone when it starts talking. It's this day and age, everyone has a cell phone unless you are stuck in the middle ages. As technology grows we just get more and more dependant on these luxuries, who can live without thier internet?

Saying kids shouldn't have cell phones makes you sound old. :tard:

firefly2.jpg

http://www.wirefly.com/specialoffer...code2=&eid=&agent=&carrierid=62&phoneid=21537

elpmis said:
but not caring if the kid loses the phone, or even replacing it if they do isn't a very good lesson in responsibility

and you wouldn't leave your kid alone without some form of adult supervision

a cell phone shouldn't replace adult supervision

correct, a cell phone shouldn't replace adult supervision nor was I implying such...in the case of those 2 girls just taking a walk, I'd rather them have one on them if they were my kids in case something came up

April23 said:
Maybe the parents are teaching them responsibility. If I had a kid it will have a cell phone when it starts talking. It's this day and age, everyone has a cell phone unless you are stuck in the middle ages. As technology grows we just get more and more dependant on these luxuries, who can live without thier internet?

[IMGhttp://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/wireless/detail-page/firefly2.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.wirefly.com/specialoffer...code2=&eid=&agent=&carrierid=62&phoneid=21537

well sure, learning responsibility would be a great side benefit but if the kid's only 10, you have to expect it will possibly be lost at some point...I'm speaking more in terms of safety they should have them

April23 said:

firefly2.jpg

I was just about to post the exact same thing...

I think you are never to young to have a phone and alot less kidnappings would be sucessfuly if kids had a way to call for help as listed above

BeeRad said:
I was just about to post the exact same thing...

I think you are never to young to have a phone and alot less kidnappings would be sucessfuly if kids had a way to call for help as listed above

I have a hard time believing that "Excuse me while I call my dad" would really stop a lot of kidnappings. Screaming and thrashing might. If you look at surveillance footage kidnappings are often an off-guard, sudden event. After a brief exchange the kids are quickly apprehended and led or carried away. Groups of kids together prevent kidnappings, not necessarily cell phones. Strength in numbers.

I'm all for the fireflys. The kids can only call for help or the parents. Other than that they can use the house phone that I can listen in on or record at anytime. That way if they are bad I can playback embarassing stuff back from phone conversations while their friends are over. My son is going to hate being a teenager.

Sarcasmo said:
I have a hard time believing that "Excuse me while I call my dad" would really stop a lot of kidnappings. Screaming and thrashing might. If you look at surveillance footage kidnappings are often an off-guard, sudden event. After a brief exchange the kids are quickly apprehended and led or carried away. Groups of kids together prevent kidnappings, not necessarily cell phones. Strength in numbers.

There is an emergency button that dials law enforcement... or some crap.

b_sinning said:
I'm all for the fireflys. The kids can only call for help or the parents. Other than that they can use the house phone that I can listen in on or record at anytime. That way if they are bad I can playback embarassing stuff back from phone conversations while their friends are over. My son is going to hate being a teenager.

BWAHAHAHHAHAAHAH that's cool.

i think that 10 is too young to just be chatting away on a cell phone. carrying a firefly for emergencies (pick ups, questions...etc) is fine, but allowing your child to chug away on a cell phone wherever they might be is not paving a good path for the child. i can think of a number of things that a careless cell phone could provoke.

but i know i'm old as i'm saying this. :fly: it's just that i don't care. :D

April23 said:
There is an emergency button that dials law enforcement... or some crap.

I understand, but a kidnapper isn't going to wait for a kid to call 911, and then wait while the kid explains the situation to the operator.

I agree with Thornbird, that and I want to be able to monitor their calls (not over the top, recording/listening to everything, I'm not THAT crazy, just monitoring from my child's end), at home, I can keep an eye on them, who they are talking to all the time, what is being said, etc. 10 is just way to young to have a cell phone and if they need to have one for some reason, they can borrow mine.

April23 said:

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/wireless/detail-page/firefly2.jpg[IMG]
[url]http://www.wirefly.com/specialoffer.aspx?referringdomain=pricespecials2&oflag=specialoffer&zipcode=33635&refcode1=gfirefly&refcode2=&eid=&agent=&carrierid=62&phoneid=21537[/url][/QUOTE]
i just keep thinking of a kid chatting away on their phone about pokemon while crossing the street and getting killed or something like that

i don't want to stand in the way of modern technology but i think there's a point where we should say no, because they are just too young

April23 said:

firefly2.jpg

What does the fireworks display do? Roman candle fights?

ceiling fly said:
What does the fireworks display do? Roman candle fights?
it loads macromedia fireworks, so your 8 year old can make web compliant jpgs and animated gifs while he rides the bus to school