Chevron Revenue Posting

Pandora said:
I love how everyone bitches about oil prices, yet they still drive gas guzzlers. :lol: You're part of the problem. :tard:

I drive a Honda civic. I'm trying to give as little of my money to Sarcasmo and his mafia as possible.
I don't mind the price I pay at the pump but I am still going to bitch about gas prices because it affects the economy as a whole. It affects you just as much as it affects me because prices of goods and services go up in addition to more of the overall income going toward fuel. The idea that if everyone drove fuel efficient vehicles would lower gas prices is ridiculous. Not once in all of human history has our hunger for energy decreased. When a new, more efficient form of energy is discovered the demand is increased to match.

Pandora said:
QFGDMFT

Too bad the media doesn't impart this kinda of information while reporting the "news". Then the dumb-masses would actually understand this. :(
Very true. Few people would understand it but most of those that do understand how our government really works actually want it that way. They prefer government nannies taking care of business so that we can sit at home stuffing cheeseburgers in our faces while watching American Idol.

People don't care. They don't read, they don't vote. They just listen to sound bytes on the news and repeat the same bullshit someone much smarter than them came up with. They pick a side and those that don't agree with a single issue are either commie pinko liberals or bible thumping rednecks. But people don't care. All they want to do is complain until someone else takes care of the problem.

That's going to be the reason this nation collapses; it's not the politicians or the terrorists or the economy or the illegals or the guns or drugs or the piracy or any of that bullshit. The people of this country are going to destroy it themselves.

FlyNavy said:
I don't mind the price I pay at the pump but I am still going to bitch about gas prices because it affects the economy as a whole. It affects you just as much as it affects me because prices of goods and services go up in addition to more of the overall income going toward fuel. The idea that if everyone drove fuel efficient vehicles would lower gas prices is ridiculous. Not once in all of human history has our hunger for energy decreased. When a new, more efficient form of energy is discovered the demand is increased to match.

Sorry I don't think it works that way. Perhaps you don't have a problem paying more $$ to fill your truck. But because more Americans are driving trucks like yours that demand is causing the strain on the supply....which in turn causes the prices to go up for other goods and services. If more people drove fuel efficient cars then there would be less demand in the private sector...freeing up more gas for commercial use and prices would decrease. Our supply cannot satisfy our demand. Yeah our demand has always increased, but not at the rate at which is is now (thanks to all those SUV's). People never think about this when they buy their Hummers tho, all they think about is their own pocket book. They don't care about how their consumption effects everyone else.

I actually did upgrade in the fuel economy dept by getting my vette...my v6 tiburon got worse mileage oddly enough

Pandora said:
Sorry I don't think it works that way. Perhaps you don't have a problem paying more $$ to fill your truck. But because more Americans are driving trucks like yours that demand is causing the strain on the supply....which in turn causes the prices to go up for other goods and services. If more people drove fuel efficient cars then there would be less demand in the private sector...freeing up more gas for commercial use and prices would decrease. Our supply cannot satisfy our demand. Yeah our demand has always increased, but not at the rate at which is is now (thanks to all those SUV's). People never think about this when they buy their Hummers tho, all they think about is their own pocket book. They don't care about how their consumption effects everyone else.
I'm not happy about paying that much but the advantages of having this truck are worth it. The demand is not causing a strain on the supply; the supply has been strained for decades. The prices are being jacked up by lack of refining capacity, problems in the mid east, and extraneous taxes. I'm not causing any more strain than anyone else that drives 350-400 miles a week.

If people drove more efficient cars then the oil would go elsewhere. To commercial transport, aviation, or power generation but it would not simply stay in the ground because people choose to drive four bangers. Blaming the evil SUVs for gas prices is ridiculous; the majority of vehicle fuel in this country goes to commercial transport. You're not saving the earth any more than I am. I'm not making the prices go up any more than you are. We cause a very small influence on the overall oil market. Commercial and industrial uses of fossil fuels are far more influental

You can point out that the price of petrol is fixed by global forces—from rising demand in India and China to political instability in Nigeria and, particularly, Iran—rather than devilish CEOs. You can point out that, so far, rising petrol prices have had remarkably little impact on the economy. The oil shocks of the 1970s sent inflation soaring and tipped the world economy into recession. Today the American economy is motoring along on a full tank, with low inflation, low unemployment and rising consumer confidence. You can point out that Americans don't know how lucky they are—a gallon of petrol costs $6.4 in Britain. You can even argue that it is their fault for driving gas-guzzling SUVs and living in McMansions miles from anywhere.

No less than 69% of Americans think that the rise in petrol prices has already caused them either severe (23%) or moderate (46%) hardship. Nearly two-thirds think that the president has a lot of influence over the price of petrol.

"Big Oil" has no social responsibility, and neither should any business. They're operated for profit and that is what they should deliver to those involved. That is the capitalist credo. Bush, on the other hand, can take measures to stem the price of oil at least in the mean time, and that doesn't require protectionism.

I know Bill O Reilly and all of Fox News are singing from the same hymn sheet on this one, and doing their best to distance the republican party from those rolling in the money, but perhaps they should start evaluating the performance of Bush and his cabinet on tackling this issue, instead of blaming the democrats for voting against attempts to increase the production of oil.

Quick Reply keeps timing out for me. I tried to post this 5 minutes ago and it was still loading when I got back :p

Edit doesn't work either.

wr3kt said:
Barrell oil prices are what they are because of the US market.
They aren't the same price in other parts of the world.

No, in most places, it's more.

wr3kt said:
If you make money, it's no one else's business to tell you how to spend your money.

That doesn't mean that we individuals should be irresponsible and wasteful. People can certainly do what they want with their money, but that doesn't mean they should be respected for it.

wr3kt said:
Corporations are built to make money.
It's capitalism, it's supply and demand,

No argument here

wr3kt said:
it's the EPA fucking up and not allowing more refineries to not be built,

Perhaps the EPA isn't stupid for this. Maybe they know more things about the environment and what's bad for it than I do.

wr3kt said:
it's the notion that the government should step into and control business which is a BAD idea.
Yes, gas prices suck, but when the government is pulling 30% in taxes which feeds into the cost of gas, you've got to wonder why you want the agency that is pulling the 2nd largest revenue, for free, off every dollar of oil...what they're really going to do to help you.
You want to see lower gas prices? Stop regulating and threatening to raise taxes on the oil companies. That's the most retarded thing I've heard in a while: the government threatening to raise tax costs onto the big 3 and the smaller ones. All that's going to do is jack prices up more. It's retarded.

Deregulation is a mixed blessing. In Maryland, where they deregulated energy a few years ago, everyone there is now facing a gas/electric bill that will DOUBLE this year. While you are right that the government is just in it for the money, apparently when the government stepped aside, the problem got worse. I have no suggestion to fix this.

I think we all have a responsibility to try to do whatever we can to help. I understand that businesses don't have the luxury of using less energy because if they do, they instantly lose their global competitiveness. I also think the environment is an important part of all of this. If we fuck up this world we aren't going to have another one to replace it.

There are no easy answers.

eileenbunny said:
No, in most places, it's more.
But in other places it's less...so it just depends where you are.

eileenbunny said:
That doesn't mean that we individuals should be irresponsible and wasteful. People can certainly do what they want with their money, but that doesn't mean they should be respected for it.
This has always been true, but the majority of people bitching about the price of gas are also the same people who aren't really doing anything about it and expect someone else to handle their problems for them so they don't have to change their lives.
[/quote]
eileenbunny said:
No argument here
Sweet.

eileenbunny said:
Perhaps the EPA isn't stupid for this. Maybe they know more things about the environment and what's bad for it than I do.
The EPA is stuck in the past. They still believe that oil refineries will only harm the environment. They believe that any and everything having to do with oil production will create catostrophic effects. They're pansies who don't understand that technology happens and it gets better. Sure, I can understand protecting the environment, but there's also a point at which they need to let go of mommy and daddy's hand and realize that oil refining can be a clean(relatively) and efficient process.

eileenbunny said:
Deregulation is a mixed blessing. In Maryland, where they deregulated energy a few years ago, everyone there is now facing a gas/electric bill that will DOUBLE this year. While you are right that the government is just in it for the money, apparently when the government stepped aside, the problem got worse. I have no suggestion to fix this.
The reason it got worse is that the energy companies all of a sudden could realize the actual value of energy. They had to cover costs to produce energy. It's supply and demand again. Once you lift the cieling off a subsidized arena that's been that way for a long time, you're going to see a shock as the natural supply and demand cycle comes back into harmony. So yes...it got worse, but it will get better. Energy isn't cheap. People are ignorant to this fact because gov't thought it would help if they restricted what prices could be charged, but it failed because it would inevitably fail, and you get what happens with dergulation.

eileenbunny said:
I think we all have a responsibility to try to do whatever we can to help. I understand that businesses don't have the luxury of using less energy because if they do, they instantly lose their global competitiveness. I also think the environment is an important part of all of this. If we fuck up this world we aren't going to have another one to replace it.

There are no easy answers.

I fully agree, but if someone is bitching and moaning about gas prices while they refuse to sell their hummer h2 because they like to feel safe, I have absolutely no pity. None.
The environment is very important. I believe we do need to limit some productions in order to gain others, but as long as there are markets that want a certain product or products, businesses will provide those goods or services within reason or legal barriers.

Last edited:
wr3kt said:
People are ignorant to this fact because gov't thought it would help if they restricted what prices could be charged, but it failed because it would inevitably fail, and you get what happens with dergulation.
Same result with anything that a government tries to overregulate. At best it's a waste of money and at worst it stymies innovation.

I fully agree, but if someone is bitching and moaning about gas prices while they refuse to sell their hummer h2 because they like to feel safe, I have absolutely no pity. None.
Do you know how hard it is to convince a bunch of old conservative rednecks that their trucks are not safer than those "wissy little plastic pieces LOL NASCAR"?:tard:

Upon the issue of hydrogen for alternative fuel sources. My proposition is not only viable but doable in a decade. What needs to happen is for a national call to the development of alternative fuel sources. If the president were to call for the development of education and technology as Kennedy did for the space race it would do three important things for our economy.

The first would be the stimulation of engineering and the sciences. In order to compete in the global economy and maintain our power economically we need more people in these fields. By a call to development of alternative energy it would give young people an area in which to follow this path. Additionally it would bring about the second most important consequence of this action. That is providing a way for young people to fight the war on terror with out picking up arms. The removal of money from the purchase of fossil fuels from OPEC nations would serve to sever the financial head of terrorism. Sure it is only part of the larger equation yet it would help far more than the current plan our nation and the coalition in which we are apart. The third and final important result is the introduction of an affordable alternative to petrol for energy.

The vision in which I speak is as follows. We need to first develop technology in the solar cell industry. Efficiency needs to sky rocket to harvest the energy of the sun. It can be done and enough energy could be captured to counter days in which the sun does not shine. That energy should then be used in turn to run reverse osmosis systems along the ocean to attain pure water. More energy from the sun would used to split the water into both hydrogen and oxygen. The oxygen would then be released into the atmosphere where it can be rejoined again with hydrogen releasing water as the byproduct from fuel cells.

Right now our energy comes from the sun. It just took millions of years for plants and animals to live and die becoming preserved in reservoirs under the crust. What this would do is cut the distance between the sun and the energy that we use now. By doing this many issues could be solved with many positive consequences. It’s not that far fetched and is indeed within the grasp of our technological capabilities with dedication and devotion by the nation as a whole.