chemicals and evolution

so april's thing on food got me wondering:

do you think our bodies are going to adapt somehow to all the chemicals we live in? we eat them, we drink them, we wear them, we breathe them. they're in our food, drinks, air, clothes, makeup, hair stuff, on the ground we walk barefoot on...they are EVERYWHERE.

so do you think that our bodies are adapting to it all? do you think this is a "get used to it or die" thing? are our bodies capable of incorporating chemicals into the design of themselves? survival of the fittest?

or will the "fittest" end up being the ones who resist the chemicals?

i have not done any kind of research on this. it's a passing wonder and i'm curious about y'all's opinions.

we're already splitting into 2 different types of humans - short and fat/tall and slim. if you believe in that shit. i don't, because both traits can be dealt with via environmental selection.

our selection has slowed since we don't have mr. lion chasing us anymore, or disease wiping out millions of us. adaption though has not slowed as variation hasn't, unless you live in india.

to answer your question, of course we'll adapt to deal with it. a plausible example is our ability to drink cows milk - give that to a population who doesn't (central africa) and they'll shit and puke themselves to death.

Last edited:
one type of DM is congenital, one type is developed. you have no genetic predisposition towards either, unless you are an identical twin from a monozygote.

I saw something on the news a little while ago about the meat being served in schools generally being of a lower quality than that served by the fast food industry. poor kids

I saw something on the news a little while ago about the meat being served in schools generally being of a lower quality than that served by the fast food industry. poor kids

The only thing worse than school food, is camp food :barf:

Except for the fancy camps with gilt toilets that people like you went to :fly:

With the exception of the Jr. High school I went to, school lunch was always disgusting.

Or the old woman in Wal-Mart whose world almost came to an end when I told her she didn't need to see it and pushed past her. She had no idea what to do and began screaming "STOP!!! STOP!!!"

Excess sugar intake can cause diabetes? I had no idea.

Are you shitting me right now?

BTW - I went to private schools in high school and the food was fucking fantastic. It was like a freaking buffet of heaven, seriously. Also, at one school, we actually had a mini Dominos in the cafeteria.