Ontopic Check in on people

hey it sucks that your friend is dealing with that and I'm glad she's relatively ok, at least in the short term.

I am 100% here for the reminder to reach out to your friends. wear your love for them on your sleeve, be there for them, etc.

but it's also important to remember that you are one person, and you cannot protect or save everyone. you can do what you can to be a good friend and a shoulder and reach out and you may still lose them. and it isn't your fault. I think you're taking this as a wake up call l, but you can't kill yourself thinking about what could have been different if you'd been around, because the what ifs will drive you crazy, and perseverating on it can become unhealthy.

of course, I say this and I'm still fucked up about some of the friends I've lost to suicide and lay awake at night sometimes thinking about what I could have done, and I recognize the self-centeredness of it, but my brain is broken so don't be like me.

of course, I say this and I'm still fucked up about some of the friends I've lost to suicide and lay awake at night sometimes thinking about what I could have done, and I recognize the self-centeredness of it, but my brain is broken so don't be like me.
That's not being self-centered or "broken"... that's having a conscience and wanting to make the world around you work out for the people you know, and feeling like you've failed when things don't work out. You're good people, people should be like you. Keep at it.